Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, the from of my 2006 CRV(122k miles) has a wobbling noise when going over bumps in the road. Best heard while driving slower like through a parking lot. Sounds like something is loose. I was thinking lower ball joints or tie rod ends but I put the front on jack stands to test these out and they seem solid so I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

I just got new tires put on it and while it was there I asked them so see if they could figure out where the noise was coming from. They also said that they think the ball joints, links etc are ok. They said they think it could be the struts. So I got a quote from them that seemed ridiculous($1000 just for the front).

So my questions are:
1) Has anyone experienced this wobbling noise that was fixed by new struts. Is this noise commonly associated with struts wearing out?

2) I will probably attempt to change these out myself(doesn't seem too bad as long as I don't pull the half shaft out), so what brand and where is the best price for new struts for our CRVs(the fully assembled ones). 1A Auto.com has a set of 4 Front & Rear for $304, but I can not find many reviews on this site and the quality of the struts.

thanks for the help

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
^^^ X2 Do those first (you can't always tell they are loose or knocking).

But, at the age of an '06, you MIGHT need the forward control arm bushings (or the lower control arms themselves). Here's a vid that shows what it is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaIvEN57Jg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the replays and video link. Even though nothing stood out but I will have to look more into the stabilizer links. That would be much better on the wallet if it was those instead of struts. Thanks again for the help and will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am running into the same issue I have taken it to 2 separate shops and they cannot determine what is the cause, I had new struts and control arms installed and still have the issue , tonight a friend suggested that the wheel hubs are bad and to replace those? Thoughts ??

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
The usual failure mode of a Gen2 is a noise from the wheel bearing (housed in the hubs) that gets louder when that side of the vehicle is 'loaded'. (EG, hummmmm on RH curves @40MPH is the bearing, on the LH side, F or R.) It is difficult to troubleshoot while the wheel is un-loaded (as, on a lift).

Rotational noise? Another thing to look at are the splash shields behind the rotors. They can be bent-in from road debris. Due to age they could be rusted out.

Cold weather groaning (rotational) on AWD Vs can be because differential fluid worn.

A salt-belt issue can result from the edges of the brake rotors having rust 'blooms' on their edges.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is an old post but I wanted to add that the stabilizer link noise can be subtle. I attached a rattle or soft clunk noise (31s and 36s in the clip, sorry cannot attach to this post yet) due to the front end stabilizer links. The boots were fine and there was no play in the links itself so it was difficult to diagnose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts