Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the front engine cover is standard on my car? The best info I can find is that it is on "some models". I'm not sure, but I think the dealer removed it and the mounting hardware. I see shiny threads where the hardware goes, while the rest of the metal is showing its age. I "think" there used to be one there as it looks empty, but I don't know for sure...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can you post a picture of what you are asking about? My 2014 CRV AWD EXL has a sound deadening material attached to the hood. Is that what you are calling a 'cover'?

·
Registered
522 Posts
BTW, your engine looks soooooooooooo clean! Mine just got back from pushing my motorhome home from the snowy mountains where we went snow skiing. It is filthy with road grit and the like!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Is that a “Sneaky Pete” shot of nitrous at the firewall??

·
Registered
522 Posts
Is that a “Sneaky Pete” shot of nitrous at the firewall??

Good eyesight! How else can I get that Honda to push my 25,000-pound motorhome all the way home? ?

Actually, that is a small air tank for the toad braking system called M&G Engineering car braking system. When I depress the brake pedal in the coach, compressed air goes to the Honda through a small 1/4-inch tube where the air depresses the master cylinder. If the Honda was to somehow become separated from the motorhome, a safety lanyard will activate a breakaway switch that will send compressed air from that small air tank to the master cylinder and bring the Honda to a rather quick stop.

Reactions: 2ndHonda

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
??

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,576 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the front engine cover is standard on my car? The best info I can find is that it is on "some models". I'm not sure, but I think the dealer removed it and the mounting hardware. I see shiny threads where the hardware goes, while the rest of the metal is showing its age. I "think" there used to be one there as it looks empty, but I don't know for sure...
Honda stopped putting the engine cover on beginning in 2010. However it is an accessory available for about $50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, your engine looks soooooooooooo clean! Mine just got back from pushing my motorhome home from the snowy mountains where we went snow skiing. It is filthy with road grit and the like!

Thanks, but that's not mine! That's the picture from College Hills Honda's website. I just posted that to show what's missing. You use yours as a TOAD? That's EXACTLY what we plan on doing with ours in a couple years when I retire. Is it an easy four-flat? (Do you have to stop every hour, run the tranny thru the gears, do the hokey-pokey, etc?) Wile I like my Pilot better, the CR-V has a lot of interior room for how small it is. Easy for 4 adults to get in and out of, rear storage, AND AWD.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks, but that's not mine! That's the picture from College Hills Honda's website. I just posted that to show what's missing. You use yours as a TOAD? That's EXACTLY what we plan on doing with ours in a couple years when I retire. Is it an easy four-flat? (Do you have to stop every hour, run the tranny thru the gears, do the hokey-pokey, etc?) Wile I like my Pilot better, the CR-V has a lot of interior room for how small it is. Easy for 4 adults to get in and out of, rear storage, AND AWD.
Yes, we have been towing this 2014 CRV AWD for 2 years now without problems. We towed a 2009 CRV AWD for 6 years and about 60,000 miles without problems.

Sharon "runs it through the gears" every morning we hook up, and that is it. I never heard about doing it every hour. I do limit the speed to 65 MPH when towing, and the transmission/differential need increased fluid changes. But then we try to go by the 4x4x4 rule. That is 4 hours maximum driving time, be in the campground by 4 PM, and never stay longer than 4 days! There is so much to see in this and our neighbors beautiful countries, and there is no reason to get in a hurry. (y)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts