Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a bracket to mount the front license plate without drilling holes in the bumper? Where did you purchase the bracket and how easy was the install?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Is anyone using a bracket to mount the front license plate without drilling holes in the bumper? Where did you purchase the bracket and how easy was the install?
Mine isn't drill-virgin unfortunately but I stopped caring because as proven with my drill-virgin 06Si I removed the front plate twice in 11 years just to clean and wax underneath.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks garoto. I have a chance to install a no-drill bracket before the dealer does the usual drill-job, but I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble given that my state requires a front plate and it's unlikely to change, so even it is drilled, I will probably never remove the front bracket.

If there was an easy option that fit the CR-V and I could get in a few days, however, I would be very interested!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks garoto. I have a chance to install a no-drill bracket before the dealer does the usual drill-job, but I'm thinking it's not worth the trouble given that my state requires a front plate and it's unlikely to change, so even it is drilled, I will probably never remove the front bracket.

If there was an easy option that fit the CR-V and I could get in a few days, however, I would be very interested!
Oh yeah I hear ya. If I had a chance to have received the car without the drilling I would've found a way to install it even if I was to custom build a bracket myself. I'm pretty creative with that kind of thing, if you're the creative kind you might be able to find a way. A fabricator is a good option, those guys come up with the neatest tricks. I would recommend not drilling if you can find a way. But drilling won't be the end of the world I've learned recently.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was originally expecting my CR-V to be delivered by the end of the month, but the dealership already has it (a few weeks early!), so I can pick it up this week. That's good news, but it leaves me with little time to figure out a no-drill option. I thought I'd have a few weeks to come up with something!

I was able to see it right after it came "off the truck" however and it looks great without a front plate. That's what got me thinking... if someone already has a solution I still might have time to save the bumper :D.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was originally expecting my CR-V to be delivered by the end of the month, but the dealership already has it (a few weeks early!), so I can pick it up this week. That's good news, but it leaves me with little time to figure out a no-drill option. I thought I'd have a few weeks to come up with something!

I was able to see it right after it came "off the truck" however and it looks great without a front plate. That's what got me thinking... if someone already has a solution I still might have time to save the bumper :D.
Did you tell the dealership not to install the front plate? Because if you didn't I betcha it's already drilled and installed waiting for you at the dealership.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you tell the dealership not to install the front plate? Because if you didn't I betcha it's already drilled and installed waiting for you at the dealership.
I did ask them and I did verify that it survived the initial truck unloading (when they typically do it). I don't think I'll have time to get a bracket before delivery though so I will have to live with it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I did ask them and I did verify that it survived the initial truck unloading (when they typically do it). I don't think I'll have time to get a bracket before delivery though so I will have to live with it.
I don't think it's that urgent to install. You don't get your license plate until a couple of weeks anyway.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(I'm doing a plate transfer so I have them on hand and will drive off with them.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 2018 owner (wife's car). I asked if she was OK with drilling and she asked this same thing, no drill. What I did was go thru the Central hole in the bracket and secure two loops of inconel wire, one right, one left attaching to the grill. I have safety wire pliers from motorcycle use and secured and trimmed the loops tight, but not too much so. Then I applied two spots of Velcro at the screw holes on top and attached to the bumper. The plate tilts slightly down but seems pretty secure without the screws. Inconel wire is strong.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
New 2018 owner (wife's car). I asked if she was OK with drilling and she asked this same thing, no drill. What I did was go thru the Central hole in the bracket and secure two loops of inconel wire, one right, one left attaching to the grill. I have safety wire pliers from motorcycle use and secured and trimmed the loops tight, but not too much so. Then I applied two spots of Velcro at the screw holes on top and attached to the bumper. The plate tilts slightly down but seems pretty secure without the screws. Inconel wire is strong.
:Needpics:
can you post? i'm curious.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The front plate mount is odd... I wanted to remove the crappy dealer frames (especially because I hate my dealer) and found that the funky (stock?) plastic mount doesn't use standard attachment points and yes they had already drilled through the bumper... I don't know if it is a stock Honda license plate mount or what but it is pretty big and ugly and sticks out a lot from the front bumper :\

1 - 13 of 13 Posts