Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We have a 2008 Honda CR-V EX.
Since some weeks the door lock on the front passenger side closes almost immediately after unlocking all doors. If I park the CR-V and put the shift lever into the park (P) position all doors unlock and the front passenger door locks again within one or two seconds (slower than the usual click when it locks or unlocks). The same happens if I press the master door (un)lock switch or the door (un)lock switch on the front passenger door. The next strange thing is that it does not happen every time.
I have read in the manual (pages 82 ff) that the door locks can be reprogrammed, but I didn’t change anything.
Is it a mechanical problem or an electronic problem?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It sounds like your door actuator is not working properly--if it can't fully extend when unlocking, it is probably relocking. If it's not the actuator, it could be one of the rods connecting the actuator to the manual lock in the handle (it could be binding, or corroded).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.

Should I remove the door panel to check it out? I found a YouTube video that shows the same problem:

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moving to Gen 3 Section.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Should I remove the door panel to check it out?
That is a good place to start. If you don't see anything wrong with the rods connecting the actuator to the various handles, then I would tend to think the problem is in the actuator. If you do replace it yourself. the three cross-head screws holding it on are not Phillips bits, but JIS bits which have a slightly different profile. Those screws will be hard to break loose, and having the right bit will keep you from stripping out the screw heads (as I've done).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have watched several videos now about this door lock actuator. It seems to be a weak point with the CR-V.
The hard parts to replace it are the three JIS screws and detaching the rod that goes to the outer door handle.

I would like to know what is broken in the actuator. My door wants to stay closed and other doors want to stay open. Why? I couldn't find any information about this.

@Wildcat: thank you for the very helpful information about the JIS screws. I just learned something.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
482 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moving to Gen 3 Section.
Consider renaming these forums, 2007-2011 Official Specs, Features, Etc. (Gen 3) hardly sounds like Maintenance & Service or Problems & Issues.
I was here for 6 months before I realized Etc. is where everyone posted their questions.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Consider renaming these forums, 2007-2011 Official Specs, Features, Etc. (Gen 3) hardly sounds like Maintenance & Service or Problems & Issues.
I was here for 6 months before I realized Etc. is where everyone posted their questions.
We are getting started on that project as we speak. It'll take a while, but all that stuff will be fixed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hello,
We have a 2008 Honda CR-V EX.
Since some weeks the door lock on the front passenger side closes almost immediately after unlocking all doors. If I park the CR-V and put the shift lever into the park (P) position all doors unlock and the front passenger door locks again within one or two seconds (slower than the usual click when it locks or unlocks). The same happens if I press the master door (un)lock switch or the door (un)lock switch on the front passenger door. The next strange thing is that it does not happen every time.
I have read in the manual (pages 82 ff) that the door locks can be reprogrammed, but I didn’t change anything.
Is it a mechanical problem or an electronic problem?
Sounds like the actuator.
Door actuators were a problem on this gen and were even replaced under a TSB. I had the drivers replaced even though I wasn't experiencing problems (yet). Probably not much you can do to get Honda to replace but they may cut you a break on the labor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts