Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my 2017 CR-V Touring that there is a bump in the front-passenger footwell (near the seat on the left side) that appears to be molded in. Do others have this too? What gives?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There is a lot of "stuff" under any car and there has to be provisions in the floor pan to clear things. Nothing to see here, keep moving.....

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Banned
806 Posts
I pointed this out as item 8A on my list in this thread.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/137490-i-wish-my-2017-cr-v-had-3.html#post960162

My mom noticed this first as she is very much on the short side and it affected her comfort.

My issue is that I tend to place things that I want to keep control of(like take out) on that spot in the floor close to the driver.
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen to me.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Placing items on the floor next to the driver where they could slide and get under a brake pedal or over a gas pedal seems illogical to a person of normal sensitivities. A good Honda lawyer would explain to you that the floor is meant for your feet and it not a storage area.

As for it bothering some people, check out your next new car closer before buying it and ensure it doesn't have anything about it you find objectionable. You may find that MANY modern vehicles have various bumps and such in their floors.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Guess reading comprehension is a bit of an issue
"Front passenger footwell - not level??"

Maybe I could have been clearer saying the "drivers side of the passenger footwell" but it seemed obvious from the context.

Since the center divider makes it impossible for anything to cross over to the driver side floor - point 1 is moot.

And I'll guess I have to appologize for not crawling around on my hands and knees over every sq in of every sqft of floor surface in the vehicle at the dealer.

If this site is not for a frank and open discussion of the positives and negatives of ownership of a 2017 Honda CRV, (and maybe Honda droppin in and find a hint or two on how to make their products better) then maybe I need to take my advertising consuming eyeballs elsewere.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Guess reading comprehension is a bit of an issue
"Front passenger footwell - not level??"

Maybe I could have been clearer saying the "drivers side of the passenger footwell" but it seemed obvious from the context.

Since the center divider makes it impossible for anything to cross over to the driver side floor - point 1 is moot.

And I'll guess I have to appologize for not crawling around on my hands and knees over every sq in of every sqft of floor surface in the vehicle at the dealer.

If this site is not for a frank and open discussion of the positives and negatives of ownership of a 2017 Honda CRV, (and maybe Honda droppin in and find a hint or two on how to make their products better) then maybe I need to take my advertising consuming eyeballs elsewere.
I apologize if I responded incorrectly. My point was that when a car maker designs a car they consider the normal use of the car, that is people sitting in the seats. One can find references to not placing objects on the floor of the car where they might move around and interfere with the operations or safety of the vehicle.
It is pretty normal for vehicles to have "bumps" in the floor as there are things under the floor and the designers have to make allowances for that as they try to keep the floor level as low as possible for getting more head room and making it easier to get in and out. Under that floor is a "frame" (Monocoque as it is), with mounting points for the sub frame that holds the engine and front suspension. Then we have exhaust pipes, drive shafts and such. The designer has to work around all these while maintaining the lowest possible floor level. The designer is not allowing for storage of "things" on that floor so if there is a bump in the rear corner like the CR-V has he does not see that as an issue as he makes design compromises. The engineer considers "normal use" of the vehicle, which means people sitting in the seat, not "stuff" on the floor.
So, I am sorry if my statements on this seemed offensive, they were not meant to. I was just expressing the fact that cars are designed to address many concerns as to packaging and interior space and allowing for the machinery that has to go underneath. They don't always place a bag of take-out high on their priority lists. That is just reality. I am well aware of the "bumps" in the floor but never give them much thoughts as I know they are there for very good reasons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts