Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) It is winter you know, and the trucks have been dumping sand and gravel and magnesium chrolide out like it is going out of sytle. We just got our 08 CR-V EX and was I in for a shock. What was Honda thinking not offering front splash guards as standard equipment. And the front guards need to be about 4 inches longer, and the back ones 2 or 3. Let me tell you why! We have an older 85 Accord and on some of the very worst days I told my wife , take the older Honda, it is not worth the risk. One day after I had put the front splash guards on she had to take the car, and traveling a short distance going at most 20-25 MPH she went thru a gravel dump for ice. When she got home I layed down and looked in disbelief that the body cladding was peppered with ping marks like it had been sandblasted. I took some vinly and rubber conditioner and cleaned up the lower cladding but you can stil see the shot marks. So off with the front spalsh guards and I took some 1/8 EDPM rubber and made a pattern , cut a nice slot in the bottom of the guard and used contact cement and silicone to finish the appearance. That extended the guard about 41/2 inches and boy did that make a difference. The splash guard looks really good and knocks down 85-95% of the material that was coming back hitting the body cladding. As soon as the weather warms up I am going to do the same to the rear guards , maybe 2 or 3 inches. Another thing you guys need to know. That magnesium chloride eats everything in sight. I try to wash the vehicle once a week ,any weather. Try to wash inside the wheel wells and the lips of the fenders inside, and lay down on some cardboard and grab the body claddding and spray backwards inside the molding and you will be shocked how much gravel and junk comes out from under the body cladding. With the bigger wheels and tires I wonder if Honda realized how mush road junk comes of the tires and hits the rocker panel/body cladding area.If you love your Honda, keep those winter chemicals washed off as best you can. Safe driving

·
Registered
342 Posts
Great insight for those who live in cold climate with harsh driving conditions. Welcome to the the forum and if you are able, would you be able to post some photos of your splash guards? I had no idea that OEM splash guards were inadequate to protect the lower cladding. Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Pictures please

Lets see what it looks like and will all do the modification

I know that it is a must up here in Canada with all the snow and salt that are applied to the road

Thanks in advance for the pictures

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Have been running my splash guard update now for a couple of weeks and what a difference. We still pick and choose our days and take the older Honda if they have been dumping alot of chemicals and sand out, or everybody is driving like crazy trying to pass and spray you with gravel. Now when I get down and look at the body cladding it is relatively clean and I can see for sure that the extra lower part of the guard has been taking its share of deflection. That EDPM rubber is really tough and stays flexible enough even in 0 degree temperature. I knew you would want pictures, I have never done that before so I may be back asking for help but I will try to get some up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
... We just got our 08 CR-V EX and was I in for a shock. What was Honda thinking not offering front splash guards as standard equipment. And the front guards need to be about 4 inches longer, and the back ones 2 or 3. ... I took some 1/8 EDPM rubber and made a pattern, cut a nice slot in the bottom of the guard and used contact cement and silicone to finish the appearance. That extended the guard about 4 1/2 inches and boy did that make a difference. The splash guard looks really good and knocks down 85-95% of the material that was coming back hitting the body cladding. ...
Thanks for the detailed "how to," but as all the others have mentioned - we really do need to see pictures of this to appreciate it better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
front & rear splash guards, lower body cladding

Pictures as requested. Front left wheel, front to back and back to front.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Did you cement the additional piece on top of the splash guard? The original splash guard edge looks frayed. I am wondering if it is from road debris. It looks very functional. Thanks for posting photos.

·
Registered
94 Posts
While this seems like an interesting modification, isn't the point of the under cladding to protect the paint from chipping on the underside? The under cladding is replaceable should you feel it's gotten dinged up too much.

I haven't seen very much wear in my under cladding at all and I just have the standard front splash guards.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice idea. I wonder if the OEM ones are shorter due to ice/snow too easily becoming a large nuisance if they were any longer? (Does that make sense?) Those large chunks of snow that cling to them could cause issues if they were even longer. I keep thinking about removing my front ones for winter as sometimes the snow/ice buildup gets so bad it actually rubs on the front tires!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nice idea. I wonder if the OEM ones are shorter due to ice/snow too easily becoming a large nuisance if they were any longer? (Does that make sense?) Those large chunks of snow that cling to them could cause issues if they were even longer. I keep thinking about removing my front ones for winter as sometimes the snow/ice buildup gets so bad it actually rubs on the front tires!
A very good point. It IS an issue in snow country. Another thing that occasionally worries me is damaging my front splash guards when I have to punch through a plowed up snow bank. I have to do it frequently and sometimes the snow is pretty hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Front & Rear splash guards,lower body cladding

Did you cement the additional piece on top of the splash guard? The original splash guard edge looks frayed. I am wondering if it is from road debris. It looks very functional. Thanks for posting photos.
The bottom of the splash guard is flat. I made a straight razor cut across the bottom and then slid a flap extension up inside the guard and secured it with contact cement , then sealed the cut and all seams with black silicone. The hole in the middle of the guard is a drain hole if water gets behind the piece.What you are seeing is ice that I did not remove inside that drain hole.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The bottom of the splash guard is flat. I made a straight razor cut across the bottom and then slid a flap extension up inside the guard and secured it with contact cement , then sealed the cut and all seams with black silicone. The hole in the middle of the guard is a drain hole if water gets behind the piece.What you are seeing is ice that I did not remove inside that drain hole.
I think the fraying he is referring to, is actually your sealant....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts