Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
First off, let me commiserate to anyone reading this in the future because they have the same problem, because it's a pig of a job.

Seems to me that the water that runs off the windscreen ends up dripping from the back R/H side sub frame mounting, at least the rain these past two days has... But it's also under the brake fluid reservoir so who knows... (But the box inside a box design seems pretty dumb to me).

Unsurprisingly the captive nut span round and round like a carousel only the plinkety plink music was replaced by some choice swear words. I sawed off the bolt and got the sub frame on the floor (not too bad, not much connected to the sub frame).

Now I've got the sub frame out of the way I can properly see the extent of the rust and it's bad, really really bad. Mush in fact.

I'm now looking at the spacer and captive nut which fell out of the hole.

Does anyone know if the spacer is welded to the metal under the captive nut? (how the heck they built this up when new is beyond me). I need to know whether to try and separate this or just weld it into a new piece of metal as is. I'm scared of damaging the captive nut you see...

Thanks a million, this is a job I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, seriously...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, thanks Racoon! It is indeed 16 years old Gen 2 and lives in the cold up in Norway. Not too much salt here but occasionally.

I think the main problem with this mounting is the encapsulated design. The captive nut sits inside the mounting and there is another plate in there as well. All out of sight.

I figured it out in the end. I opened up the mounting being careful not to touch the actual mounting hole at any point. Then I made up a plate to sit inside the box like structure and drilled a 25mm hole in it for the spacer/captive nut to go through I welded the plate into the mounting and tacked the spacer to it.

Then I plated the mounting sides basically. Bl**dy awful access and of course welding on your back results in the occasional hot spatter down your shirt front lol!

The garages up here charge a minimum of $100 an hour and this is fiddly. Given the age, it's more or less scrap or a 'spares or repair' situation.

The car is strong otherwise so it'd be a shame to see it end here. Plus I love the old thing, it's been a solid workhorse for our family, from beach to woods and any amount of snow in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I worry about the rear frame in our 2009 CR-Vs--the mounting point for the rear trailing arm rusts through, and it's very expensive (or nearly impossible) to fix. There is a recall up in Canada for this problem, which happens in areas where there is a lot of salt on the road in winter months. (Honda will treat the area if it is still possible to; otherwise, they will buy it back from the owner.) We have salt down here as well. I found ours to be solid last summer when I replaced the struts in both '09s, but our blue '09 has a lot more rust underneath than the other one. (It lived a rougher life.) It has me looking for a replacement within the next year or so, before it causes us any further problems. It is a very similar problem to yours--water and salt gets inside the frame and rots it from the inside, so you can't even see it happening until you find your suspension has broken!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
water and salt gets inside the frame and rots it from the inside
Yes, we really should be taking advantage of all the holes in the frame underneath and spray stuff inside every nook and cranny we can find, every couple of years at least. I recon we'd double the life of our cars if we did.
But who makes the time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts