Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Front tires spin on take off.

9K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  fishycomics 
#1 ·
I'm new to FWD's and I was just given a 2012 CR-V. A good amount of he time that I take off rather quickly the front tires spin. It doesn't matter if the traction control is on or off or if it is dry or wet. The tires are in very good shape with a good amount of tread left. Straight line or cornering doesn't make a difference either. It's very odd. I know that when taking off the weight transfers backward, but it's really getting annoying! Any ideas would help. Thanks

#9 ·
I have 2002 Cr-v LX and my old tires was over. When i push the gas pedal, only left tires spinning always and this is make me sick. Today I was changed the old ones with the brand new “Goodyear All Seasons” and I was bought from the Walmart for 50 dollar per one. When I push the gas, same thing again :mad: I dont understand this problem. I dont know the solutions :/

#10 ·
@turan don't the rear tires 'dig in' after a second? That is the way the RT4WD works on CR-Vs.

If you are complaining that the always left-side tire spins...that too is normal, the V has 'open differentials'.

Reactions: turan
#11 ·
@Carbuff2 I don't have too much information about the CR-V because this is my first car and I’m using it for 2 months. That's why I thought like this. But I can not get rid off the thinking of "These are the new tires. When I push a little bit to the gas pedal, why it spin on when to take off?". Thank you so much for the video.

#12 ·
The front wheels spin a bit because:

1. The 'normal' drive wheels are the fronts.

2. When you press the accelerator pedal, weight transfer 'unloads' traction at the front wheels. (On a RWD car, this weight transfer actually aids traction.)

3. When there is a difference in speed between the front & rear wheels, the clutches in the rear differential engage and provide drive to the rear wheels.

Some regular maintenance might reduce some of the spin tendency. Rear differential fluid or automatic transmission fluid changes might help. (At this point I'm assuming you have 4WD?)

#14 ·
Even if they are crap tires, the traction control on the OP's CR-V must be malfunctioning. Even on my '09s, I can't get the fronts to spin out of control, even on ice. Traction control applies braking via the ABS system to the spinning wheel(s) to prevent them from breaking loose while accelerating. If I stomp on the throttle in my neighborhood when our roads are icy, all I hear is the ABS kicking in--no wheel spin unless it's very minor.

On my '97, I had some terrible tires (Toyo Extensa) that would break loose at half throttle in the rain. (And if you know how anemic the '97 was, you'd realize how poor the tires were!) When the driveshaft was out, it was even worse since the rears did not kick in.

#16 ·
Seems obvious, but verify tire size, too. I made themistake of going to a franchise car service place, and among the many things they screwed up, they put on the wrong size tires. Amazing. All the drive home in the rain I kept experiencing slipping. Wrong tire size and max pressure, I suspect caused that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.