Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. I bought a used 2011 Special Edition a few weeks ago, with about 21k miles on it. When test-driving, I noticed an odd sensation of the wheels feeling like they were slightly slipping, not gripping, or jittering in turns: it's hard to describe but it feels like if I were to turn the steering a little more the car might lose traction, or like I'm turning on sand or loose gravel. (I didn't notice that feeling on a different CRV I'd tested the day before, so it stood out to me.) I haven't noticed any issues while accelerating from a stop or braking.

I checked the treads and they all seem fine. The tire pressure light did come on a few days ago but I haven't had time to check/fill them; could that be causing the feeling?

Doing a quick search, the only other thing I came across was on another forum where someone suggested the differential fluid(s) or transmission fluid could need changing. Given the symptom I described above, does that seem likely?

Thanks a bunch,
Jamie

·
Registered
644 Posts
Did the seller give you any information on maintenance history?

Changing rear diff fluid is neither expensive nor difficult. So it may be a good starting point.

If the vehicle is having lateral acceleration (yaw) the VSA should kickin and cause the VSA light to glow. Did the VSA light come on in those turns?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have the maintenance record and will check it tonight. No VSA light, no.

I was actually able to run out just now and check all four tires' pressures; the back-left was 24 psi (should be 30) so I filled that up. I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect but now things seem smoother. There's still a bit of jitter in the steering wheel (perhaps that's what I've been feeling?) but nowhere near what it was before.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Your original post states there is no issue when braking (no steering shake). Is there vibration in the seat or floor? If not, the slight jitter may be due to out of balance wheels or wheel nuts not torqued to spec. If there is vibration, other power train components need checkout (drive shafts, propeller shaft etc).

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Hope you didn't buy a vehicle that was in a previous accident. I have to wonder why you didn't question it before buying???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts