Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,
It has been a brutal winter in Minnesota (like most of the Midwest and Northeast). I just noticed that my windshield has a crack running parallel with the dash right along with the Defront Vents point to the windshield. My theory is that on one of these past days when it was ~15 degrees below zero that the warm air from the defroster caused the glass to crack due to the extreme temp variation.

Anyone else ever had this issue?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
All is well with my windshield. We've been in frigid temps also in the Northeast.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Don't know what caused the crack, but the cause is not what you said. Temp variation like that would not crack the windshield.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 2007 sorry. I do not recall any object hitting the windshield, and the fact that the crack runs along where the defrost vents make contact with the window is what caused me to believe the temp extremes caused it (just an educated guess).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2009 which also cracked during the Chiberia polar vortex right over the passenger vent. Waiting for a warm spell to get it repaired

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for sharing your experience cn-crv guy. We'll see if any others had the same thing happen. It has been a brutal winter in the upper Midwest. We have had 50 days of below zero temps (without wind chill).

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Being it isn't instant hot air from the defroster, I wouldn't think it would cause it, but who knows. As you say it has been brutal this winter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ours is fine even with the wind chills hitting -30 a couple of nights. When you start getting into those temps, the smallest imperfection in the glass can cause a crack once heat hits it. I have read mixed threads about whether to use the defrost or not on really cold nights. Some say you should blow the air out the vents until it warms up then put on the defrost as to let the glass warm up slowly. I don't know the actual answer but my guess is you already had a small chip in the glass or a manufacturers defect and the heat caused it to expand and crack.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Yep, most likely a small chip in the glass caused it when the windshield temp changed.
Buffalo4
PS: On a below zero day, the windshield on my old Montero cracked all the way across and more upwards, when I finished scraping the windshield and let the ww flop back down on the windshield. I traced it down to a very minor rock chip.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've been in -40, even colder with wind chill, far too often. In no way do vehicle heaters, certainly not Honda, produce anything like an inferno to crack glass.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, you were all right. There is a tiny chip at one end of this crack that started this line crack that runs parallel with the dash.

I should have known that when it has been -40 here on and off for the past few months and my CRV failed to get warm enough to pump out hot air that my theory was bogus.
Thank you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts