Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Gang,

I have been trying to keep my windshield ding/crack free. Paying for glass dings every few weeks. Now a small pebble did crazy damage. When speaking with a local glass man he said they have replaced many updated Honda CRV's 2017/2018. He suggest for me to report this issue to get a Free Replacement. I also used Rain-X, As The Glass Man suggested, but thin glass is not good or Safe?

link below
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thin glass is not good or safe?
According to who? A guy whose business is.....wait for it....selling you glass?

Dings are not necessarily an indication of unsafe.

Auto makers are doing everything possible to reduce weight so all parts are being made as thin and light as possible, including windshields.

They are even looking into plastic for side and back windows.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,809 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds like the same problem Mazda had with their 15-17's. Thin glass, lots of chips, cracks, etc.
I think they increased thickness in the 18's.
Guess Honda will have to experience the same problems. Probably bean counters trying to save a buck.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
Front Windshild is Thiner than other Honda's - Said the Glass Man

Anyone can make a claim. Few back it up with proof. The glass man didn't.
Auto glass is pretty thin but there is a lot of engineering that goes into a windshield.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,027 Posts
wait he did not say it was gorilla glass time to check your Insurance if you were covered but we know its a dollar bill size or larger for some

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hey Gang,

I have been trying to keep my windshield ding/crack free. Paying for glass dings every few weeks. Now a small pebble did crazy damage. When speaking with a local glass man he said they have replaced many updated Honda CRV's 2017/2018. He suggest for me to report this issue to get a Free Replacement. I also used Rain-X, As The Glass Man suggested, but thin glass is not good or Safe?

link below
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Thanks for the info,,,did he happen to mention what the rain x helps with????...I never used it,,,,but will if it helps

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lol Rain-X makes the rain roll off without using wipers... And bugs don't stick as well..

And rocks roll off....after they make the rock chip.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
oooohhhh the OEM windshield is no good, buy this one, it is thicker and of course better, just 300.00 more.

kachingggg... $ $ $ $ ...

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks for the info,,,did he happen to mention what the rain x helps with????...I never used it,,,,but will if it helps
If you try Rain X you will never go back. One Bottle BTW can last for years.
RainX is a kind of glass wax that acts just like paint wax. Once applied "PROPERLY" water literally gets repelled from the glass. If your driving fast enough and its raining you will see the water just sliding up the glass and over the roof.

The main benefits

Better visibility when driving in rain
Glass stays cleaner without doing much work.
Water spots almost never appear on the glass.
Your wiper blades become much more effective.

I find the best way to use it is to first clean the glass properly then ClayBar the glass. I do this for every window on the vehicle. Then apply as instructed on the bottle and let it dry until there is a slight haze and then buff it off with a micro fiber cloth. Do one or two extra coats and she is good to go for about 4-6 months. The next time around you just need to clean the glass properly and add an additional coat.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
You want proof? How about I have owned my 2018 CRV AWD for 12 months exactly and just last week my front windshield shattered for the second time. A small stone flew up off the road and ding.... in about five minutes you have an eight inch crack that can’t be fixed. Oh and OEM is the only available glass at the moment. The windshield price is $500. Luckily I have a $50 deductible. This glass sucks big time. This is a real issue folks.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Does any auto manufacturer sell vehicles with small stone proof windshields?:Dunno: _hit happens and it's all Honda's fault.:Notagain:

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Rain-X is especially good on outside mirrors. I'm a truck driver and have used it for years on my truck mirrors. Along with the heated mirrors most big trucks have these days, it makes a big difference in rain visibility, helps you keep from running over those pesky little 4-wheelers who are stupid enough to run beside you in the rain. Especially in the daytime, when they are also stupid enough to not have their headlights on, which makes them literally invisible. I never used it much on the truck windshield. That gets washed every day, sometimes more than once, so it wears off quickly., and climbing up there to re-apply it that often is not worth the effort beyond a certain point. Of course it's easier with a car.

One possible solution for the windshield rock damage could be a front air spoiler - one of those that mounts on the leading edge of the hood. Some work better than others, but it might be worth a shot for smaller, bug-size rocks.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,809 Posts
Does any auto manufacturer sell vehicles with small stone proof windshields?:Dunno:
How about a protective film, like this?

https://clearplex.com/product/

ClearPlex is a film that protects the windshield from harsh conditions that often break or chip standard windshields. Being a film, ClearPlex should occasionally be removed and replaced to provide the best protection for the windshield.
It's been my observation that the 'approach angle' of the glass makes a difference when a stone hits it. IMO that is a factor regards the chances of chips or breakage.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts