Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
I have an 08 CRV EXL with 12k miles.
The TPMS light comes on after 20 minutes of highway driving. (Not the tire pressure light although I had one dealer tell me it was the same thing) - It's not!
I have brought my car back to the dealer 5 times already. They cannot figure out what is wrong with it. Most recently, they have replaced all four sensors in the tires but the light still comes on. This is my first Honda and I'm wondering if I have a lemon. Anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Tpms

The TPMS normal range is 24 to 32 PSI. This is straight out of the ’07-’08 shop manual.

If the light is going on as it warms up it is going outside of that range according to the laws of physics. A 10 digress increase in temperature will raise the tire about 1 PSI.

I would try lowering the pressure by 2 PSI and see if the problem goes away. Or increase the driving time to 40 minutes??

If it does then one or more tire pressure gauges is off. Maybe both yours and the dealers. I understand that Honda has distributed tire pressure gauge calibration kits. I would tell the dealer to calibrate their gauges in order to stop wasting customer’s time.

One TPMS sensor not communicating with the system will also turn the light on. It would be a safe assumption that the new sensors have good batteries. But that is not necessarily 100% a sure thing. Perhaps one was sitting on the shelves for a while.

-RG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've tried that already - if I drive for 40 miles (highway miles), the light generally comes on after 20 miles then goes off after 20 more miles and comes on again and again. We've all adjusted the pressure. Still nothing.
I believe the whole system is faulty and Honda doesn't want to replace it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
:mad:
I have an 08 CRV EXL with 12k miles.
The TPMS light comes on after 20 minutes of highway driving. (Not the tire pressure light although I had one dealer tell me it was the same thing) - It's not!
I have brought my car back to the dealer 5 times already. They cannot figure out what is wrong with it. Most recently, they have replaced all four sensors in the tires but the light still comes on. This is my first Honda and I'm wondering if I have a lemon. Anyone else with this problem?
Sorry I can't help with your TPMS issue.:eek: WAG would be the TPMS controller.

http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse....ssions=KA&PartCatalogId=14SWA7&ViewParts=true

Part #7

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Spare and TPMS

The spare does not have a sensor as far as I can tell. With a flat there will be a TPMS light. And no LTPI light will go on since one of the sensors is not detecting momentum (over 28 MPH) running a spare or any other unregistered tire. Assuming everything was working fine to begin with.

From the owner’s manual page 243, the last paragraph:
"When you restart the vehicle with the compact spare tire, the TPMS indicator may also come on and stay on after driving several miles (kilometers)."

This almost sounds like your symptoms. The system thinks you are running with the spare??? Or a wheel with an unregistered (to your vehicle) sensor.

I am far from an expert in this area (or any other area, I am just regurgitating my understanding of what is in the shop manual). It almost looks like the dealer does not really want to, know how to or have the right equipment to trouble shoot. The system has 24 DTC trouble codes that may be stored when there is a problem. These codes can be retrieved with a HDS (Honda Diagnostic System) plugged into the DLC (Data Link Connector, or OBDII?). A TPMS sensor initializer tool AKS0620006 is needed to properly setup the system once any sensor is changed. Each sensor has a unique code to avoid interference from other sensor in the proximity. It should be possible to isolate down to one problem sensor using the correct procedures, the HDS and the initializer tool.

It may take more time to do so than the dealer can get reimbursed for. So it might be more profitable to replace them all.

Technically there is no need to replace all four sensors. That is why I am suspicious.

-RG

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Tpms

aime69, you are absolutely correct the TPMS and Low Tire Indicator are not the same things regardless of what your dealer said.

The TPMS indicator (TPMS displayed in yellow) is a system fault indicator. The common reason it comes on is failure to recognize or communicate with all four sensors. The spare does not have a sensor. Tire pressure should not affect the operation of this light. Your car will function normally with this light on but it probably will not display a (genuine) low tire warning in this state, and you can not turn off the VSA manually when the light is on.

The low tire indicator is a cutaway of the tire with exclamation point. This is the indication that will be displayed if any one of the four tires has low air pressure. Again the spare does not have a sensor.

If you install the spare on the car, due to the fact it does not have a sensor, it will display the TPMS warning light but not the low tire warning light.

If you can not get the problem resolved at your dealer, call Honda Corporate and open a case. This is not something your dealer can just brush off. The stupid system is mandated by Congress. Honda sold it to you and it is warranted under the normal car warranty. Make yourself a supreme PIA to both your dealer and Honda and demand that they fix the damn thing.

Failing in that I would consider opening a case with your state consumer protection agency. It may or may not fall under the lemon laws but I think a
call from a consumer advocate would apply the necessary fire to Honda's posterior. Good luck with the repair.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Repeat

Black Pearl,
I thought I said more or less the same thing? Except that you were more exertive about the spare not having a sensor.

Amie69,
When the spare is put on, only at best three of the sensors transmit when going over 28 MPH. The forth sensor obviously cannot since it will not sense the momentum of 28 MPH without rotating in the spare well. As I mentioned it will light up the TPMS after several miles. In your case it is 20 minutes or at 60 MH 20 miles. I have not read anything about it going off and recycling. It will if you stop or go below 28 MPH as the initial indication is repeated. If you stay above 28 MPH the TPMS should stay on.

I doubt it will get to the last stage. Honda USA should make sure that the problem is resolved I would think. Giving that particular dealer that does not want too or that cannot a black eye.

-RG

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Nearly Simultaneous Posts

Radar24: Looking at the time of your second post and mine, I believe you posted while I was writing. The last post I seen was 08glacierblue's and obviously did not recheck when I posted. I did not mean to needlessly repeat your post.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Simultaneous

I was just making sure I was not misleading.

Communication is an art form I struggle with. :confused:
Never mind not being an expert.

-RG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts