Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening to all,

I'm a new member since I had the opportunity to purchase a 2011 C-RV some four months ago. I'm very pleased of it so far.

One question I have (and please excuse the nerdy aspect of this question) is the average fuel consumption underestimation I constantly get on the dash. Typically, the fuel consumption shown is close to 15% off from the actual milage/fuel calculations.

Consequently, milage to go before running dry is overestimated by the same amount.

Is this normal ? Shoul I report this to the dealer?

Allways pleased to read your blog. Thanks for your help.

L'NRV

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
1,015 Posts
The dash mileage estimate is usually quite optimistic. Not just for the "V", but also for other brands. Your best recourse is to learn about how many miles you can travel before needing to fill up. With our "V" around town, usually @ the 300 mile mark is when we fill up. On the road, we have gone as far as 451 miles before filling up.

One thing to keep in mind with regard to the "V" is that as you go through your tank of gas, the estimate of miles left does not shrink at the same pace throughout the tankful. Experience shows that once you get past the 50%-50% of miles traveled vs miles left, your miles left shrinks at an ever increasing rate. Same with your fuel gauge. Up until you have 50% left, the gauge reads fairly accurately. However, once you get past the 50% mark, the indicator tends to nosedive rather steeply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies and you help, Kazoo2U and 25 Years'.

Actually, the reading of my fuel consumption is more like +15% off (yes, on the optimistic side). I recall, going back to science class in high school, that instruments should be as precise as +/- half of its last diget. (i.e. if milage is measured as 10,2 l/100 km - as in my case in Canada - precision should be plus or minus 0,05 l/100 km, or its equivalent in US units: 0,1 to 0,2 mpg - about 0.5 % of the measured value).

Are all CR-Vs milage computers off like this ?

Thanks.

L'NRV

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for your replies and you help, Kazoo2U and 25 Years'.

Actually, the reading of my fuel consumption is more like +15% off (yes, on the optimistic side). I recall, going back to science class in high school, that instruments should be as precise as +/- half of its last diget. (i.e. if milage is measured as 10,2 l/100 km - as in my case in Canada - precision should be plus or minus 0,05 l/100 km, or its equivalent in US units: 0,1 to 0,2 mpg - about 0.5 % of the measured value).

Are all CR-Vs milage computers off like this ?

Thanks.

L'NRV
Started using Fuelly.com to calculalte MPG on our new 2012. Display showed 26.6, Fuelly calculated 26.0. Much imrovement over the 10/12% error our 2010 displayed!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts