Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since new, my 2015 CRV has had a strong smell of gasoline in the engine oil, typically noticed when checking the oil level. Initially, I thought this was just a characteristic of a direct fuel injected engine, but when I noticed the oil level rising a bit I sent a series of used oil samples to a lab (Polaris) for analysis.

Of 4 used oil analyses sent, 3 have come back with findings that more than 5% of the crankcase contents consisted of gasoline. A little fuel in the oil is expected, but anything more than 2% is abnormal and more than 5% triggers Polaris' "red alert" warning. These samples were taken after long highway drives and the mileage is very heavily highway-biased. The oil's (Mobil1 0w-20) viscosity was also low, even out-of-grade in a couple instances.

My dealer can find nothing wrong, even after consulting with Honda's tech department. Honda of America doesn't seem very interested and can not or will not tell me if this is "normal".

So, two questions forum members:

1) Do others with a 2015/2016 CRV notice a strong fuel smell when checking the oil?

2)Has anyone else with a 2015/2016 CRV had a used oil analysis performed? If so, could you share the level of fuel dilution indicated?

Unless this is typical, I'm considering dumping the car. This would be a shame as it is otherwise just fine. Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Analysis of my first two oil changes. Coming close to the third. Notice the first was above 2%. I don't believe that the engine was up to normal temp when sample was taken. I understand that can have an effect on results.
Thanks much for posting this. I think these results are similar to mine.

Blackstone relies on human observation to determine a sample's flashpoint and estimates fuel dilution based on this value. My first sample came from Blackstone and showed 360 degree flashpoint and an estimated 1.0% fuel dilution. Some labs use gas chromotography to gauge fuel dilution - this is more precise and eliminates the human observation part. Polaris Labs uses this method, I used them for the next 4 UOAs and 3 of them came back with fuel dilution >5%.

Viscosity of my samples was similarly reduced to 6.4-7.2 cSt. New 0w-20 oil typically has viscosity of 8.5 cSt, so this shows a significant reduction, most of which was presumably caused by the added gasoline.

This seems to indicate significant fuel dilution is common with these engines, may be what Honda expects and is of no consequence. Hope Honda has this figured out...

Again, thanks for posting, it was very helpful. It would be great if you could mention your next UOA results on this forum.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, two questions forum members:

1) Do others with a 2015/2016 CRV notice a strong fuel smell when checking the oil?

2)Has anyone else with a 2015/2016 CRV had a used oil analysis performed? If so, could you share the level of fuel dilution indicated?

Unless this is typical, I'm considering dumping the car. This would be a shame as it is otherwise just fine. Thanks for any comments.
I checked the oil level this morning and could not discern any fuel smell (my wife said the dispstick came perilously close to my nose...). The car had not run in a couple of days, high 50s ambient. There are roughly 5600 miles on this OCI; the OLM is at 30%. I posted an analysis of the factory fill back in April (yes merely Blackstone) and you added commentary about moly additives in Honda's assembly lube.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/19-maintenance-service/109154-used-oil-analysis-factory-fill-15-cr-v.html
Kevin

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does your beast get up to operating temp? Any possibility that they thermostat is bad...which would make it run w/the mixture enriched, while in warm-up mode and then not get the oil hot enough to burn off the gas.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does your beast get up to operating temp? Any possibility that they thermostat is bad...which would make it run w/the mixture enriched, while in warm-up mode and then not get the oil hot enough to burn off the gas.
Lots of highway driving, temperature gauge always in the middle when warmed-up. My dealer ran a whole bunch of tests and consulted with area tech support so I presume this would have shown up somewhere or at least been something they considered. Plus the oil is plenty hot when drained.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The procedure how engine oil is checked is kindy weird. Start and Hold the engine to 3000 rpm until radiator fan turns on wait for few minutes before checking oil level.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The procedure how engine oil is checked is kindy weird. Start and Hold the engine to 3000 rpm until radiator fan turns on wait for few minutes before checking oil level.
My Owner's Manual says to check the oil when refueling but to wait 3 minutes after shut-down. Nothing about revving to 3,000 rpm.

Even so, the dipstick configuration (oil is deposited in the dipstick tube) on these things makes it very hard to get a consistent "hot" oil check reading, so I check mine cold and accept this level should be slightly lower than when hot.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My Owner's Manual says to check the oil when refueling but to wait 3 minutes after shut-down. Nothing about revving to 3,000 rpm.

Even so, the dipstick configuration (oil is deposited in the dipstick tube) on these things makes it very hard to get a consistent "hot" oil check reading, so I check mine cold and accept this level should be slightly lower than when hot.
I've checked the oil on a cold engine sitting level for the last 50 years. If there is a need to check with the engine hot at a gas station, I shut the engine down and fill it with gas before I check it. You need to wait long enough for the oil to drain to the pan.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
My CRV has not experienced any fuel dilation into the oil as this thread is about. I always drive in moderation until the engine is fully warmed up and even then continue to drive conservatively. My question is there any relation to the noted problems of said fuel dilation and hard driving on the cold engine or full throttle often or just plain driving like you are on a racetrack???

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My CRV has not experienced any fuel dilation into the oil as this thread is about. I always drive in moderation until the engine is fully warmed up and even then continue to drive conservatively. My question is there any relation to the noted problems of said fuel dilation and hard driving on the cold engine or full throttle often or just plain driving like you are on a racetrack???
I don't ever drive aggressively and am especially gentle with the car when it's cold. So the fuel dilution I'm experiencing is not a function of operator misbehavior.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm really surprised Honda isn't worried about the drop in viscosity since they're on the hook if the engine fails due to that, assuming it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm really surprised Honda isn't worried about the drop in viscosity since they're on the hook if the engine fails due to that, assuming it's still under warranty.
The optimistic view is that lower viscosity doesn't matter: Honda is busily getting ready for 0w-16 oils and maybe current engines are engineered with that in mind.

The cynical view is that Honda is confident even an engine with fuel dilution issues will make it past the 60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Or they could just have lousy customer service that is incentivized to handle things cheaply, not well.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Dans15, I agree with you that something is not right with your engine. It cannot be considered normal what you have experienced, i.e. oil level rising and gasoline odor in the oil, and your oil analysis reports. Seems that the only recourse is to continue to monitor the oil and if it persists to be persistent in seeking help from American Honda to solve the issue. Your selling dealer should be doing everything possible to make this right. It cannot be beneficial to the life of the engine for this to continue. I would be mad as a hornet if this were mine. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dans15, I agree with you that something is not right with your engine. It cannot be considered normal what you have experienced, i.e. oil level rising and gasoline odor in the oil, and your oil analysis reports. Seems that the only recourse is to continue to monitor the oil and if it persists to be persistent in seeking help from American Honda to solve the issue. Your selling dealer should be doing everything possible to make this right. It cannot be beneficial to the life of the engine for this to continue. I would be mad as a hornet if this were mine. Wishing you the best.
Thanks for the thoughts. American Honda's customer service routine is interesting. In my case the dealer couldn't figure it out so went to Honda's district tech group, which said there was nothing more to be done. When I appealed this decision to American Honda, guess who it went back to? Yup, the district tech group, which would seem to have a strong disinterest in reversing their original call.

I guess American Honda can overrule a Honda district, but again there would seem to be a strong disinterest in doing so. So I guess I am mad as a hornet, but my only options seem to be to dump the car now or wait until the powertrain warranty expires. But Honda isn't exactly at the top of my list for a replacement. That'll fix 'em...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. American Honda's customer service routine is interesting. In my case the dealer couldn't figure it out so went to Honda's district tech group, which said there was nothing more to be done. When I appealed this decision to American Honda, guess who it went back to? Yup, the district tech group, which would seem to have a strong disinterest in reversing their original call.

I guess American Honda can overrule a Honda district, but again there would seem to be a strong disinterest in doing so. So I guess I am mad as a hornet, but my only options seem to be to dump the car now or wait until the powertrain warranty expires. But Honda isn't exactly at the top of my list for a replacement. That'll fix 'em...
Dans15,
It's been a year since this was posted, so this issue for you might have been resolved. I came across your post after oil analysis of my new turbocharged 2017 CRV showed 2% fuel. This seemed high to me because I've owned a 2004 MDX for many years. Fairly frequent oil analyses results never approached this value, but as you noted in your initial post, up to 2% is allowable, depending on the sample viscosity. When I asked Honda about the 2%, I was told it was acceptable and that if there was a problem, a check engine light should be seen. I also found that fuel concentrations are higher in later models because fuel is being injected directly into the cylinder rather than the manifold. Sampling guidelines say that the engine should be near normal operating temperature and that the sample should be collected roughly half way through the oil drain. Since the concentration you're seeing is in excess of allowable, I'm interested to know if anything has changed since your post.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
There is a research paper from Honda on the development of direct injection 2.4L engine. In the paper there is a section concerning oil dilution and Honda's efforts to find an injector spray pattern to minimize dilution. Good reading.

You can download the paper by a Google search on "Development of New 2.4 L Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine".

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/attachments/general-discussion/192513d1506555195-catch-can-installation-89991_honda_2.4_l_direct-injection_gasoline_engine.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjaooOGx4DZAhWPzVMKHYRnBJMQFjABegQIERAB&usg=AOvVaw0f2JRTtD4P3QU_o4YAZHaI

1 - 20 of 22 Posts