Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the fuel filter on my 99 CR-V a couple weeks ago and now I find it leaking from the flared line on the bottom of the filter. I did some searching to see if others had a solution to this same problem and came up with nothing.

Four hours later and a different new fuel filter and it's still leaking. The flared end and the threads on the vehicle look just fine but on both of the filters I looked down into where it seats and I could see where it was leaving a C mark where the flares meet. Obviously it's leaking from where it's not touching.

Which solution should I do? Cut the flare end off and completely redo the flare, use a flair tool on the flare that's already there, cut off the flare and get a barbed fitting for the filter and use a rubber fuel line with a clamp to join the two, or possibly something I didn't think of?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Are these Honda filters?
If you're witnessing the 'C' on the filter end it sounds like the filter has the problem, not the lines you're hooking up to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up fixing it. I bought a different filter and it leaked just the same so I did some digging around locally and found a 3/8 flared insert stuck it into the fuel line and just tightened the line to the filter like normal. Works like the washers on the top of the filter.

Looks like this
flared insert.jpeg

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Good workaround. Good common sense.
The flare end must have gotten slightly bent or nicked.
Overall, good work and thanks for posting back.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found info on a tool called a flare lapper that would have fixed it too but I didn't want to order it and wait or spend the money on such a speciality tool that I'd likely never really need to use again.
Figured someone may need this info though cause I really didn't find anything about this specific leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts