Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 CRV, AWD. I started noticing the startup procedure was slow and chugging along, like the battery was dying. That lead to me replacing the battery, (no difference), alternator, (no difference) and fuel pump, (no difference).
The engine still doesn't fire up fast as you would expect. I assumed a fuel filter was replaced as part of the new fuel pump, but maybe not?
Due to the lack of correct info online, supposedly the fuel filter for 07's are: in the fuel tank, next to the starter, in the fuel pump or, ...your neighbors kitchen (just kidding) Can't seem to get the right answer.
I ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner with a full tank of premium gas, after the fuel pump replacement, but there really is no difference. The CRV has 133k miles and otherwise runs great.
What other things are there to check/replace for the fuel/startup issue? Recent service included oil/transmission and rear diff fluid change, as well as air & cabin filters. Maybe she needs new plugs? I've never changed them and I'm the 3rd owner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If the fuel pump was replaced as a complete assembly, the filter would have been included. There could be a developing issue with the starter motor or maybe the battery cables are corroding internally.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,801 Posts
You are aiming the Parts Cannon at the issue.

Tire Wheel Cannon Plant Tree

What lead to disregard the possibility of a bad starter?

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,494 Posts
Just throwing this out, ... , really do not know
Sometimes, although rare, the catalytic converter can clog up
Thus slowing down the engine while cranking to start
And also cause some lag in the acceleration.
Can be checked easily.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
When was the valve clearance last checked? The plugs and clearance should be changed/checked per owner's manual recommendations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sorry for the late response. I only got an alert for the first response from this thread. Pretty sure the fuel pump was replaced as a full replacement so that should eliminate the fuel filter.

Not sure how to check the catalytic converter but if anyone wants to offer up any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

I bought the car as a third owner so I’m not sure when the last time the spark plugs were changed? There are 134,000 miles on it so I’m assuming the original ones should’ve been changed at about 100,000 and it probably wouldn’t hurt to change them again. I don’t know if the valve clearance was ever checked.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,801 Posts
When you FOLLOW (or respond) to a topic, you need to view it to receive updates on further responses. :giggle:

One way to determine the health of your cat/con:

If you have an infrared pyrometer similar to this $25 one

You can measure the engine side of the Cat and compare it to the trailing side.

Here are videos from the stars of YouTube. :LOL:

Google might provide other clues.

+++++++++++

If you don't know if past maintenance has been done on a used car, you should check everything.
Pull a spark plug or two and measure the gap, verify it is at the spec on the emissions sticker under the hood. If the plugs are not the Iridium type, somebody cheaped out...replace them with Denso or NGK brands.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
A vacuum gauge is your friend when checking for exhaust restrictions.

Hook the gauge to manifold vacuum, start the engine and observe the reading, slowly bring the rpm's up to 2000-2500 observe the reading, vac should be very similar to idle with unrestricted exhaust, vac will drop if exhaust is restricted.

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
620 Posts
You don't change parts because you are told they are bad but only because you have test them and found them defective.
Just saying..

Many things can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
Test before you buy.
Weak battery
Bad battery cables or not tight enough
Timing is off
Clogged up catalityc converter.
Bad ground from negative battery terminal

When you say
"startup procedure was slow and chugging along,"
Does the engine sounds slow as it turns, as if something would be keeping from turning. Is it struggling to spin fast to normal speed.?
If so test all 5 suggestions one by one.

Or is the engine turning at its normal rate of speed but it doesn't starts as fast as before.

How is your fuel economy?

Does the check engine light stays on after it starts? If so what code(s) are stored.

None of the sensors will cause the engine to turn sluggish. They only read and send signal to the ecu.
If the engine spins at its normal speed but takes longer to fire up and when it does its rough then consider checking ecu codes.
ECT is known to cause the engine to have a rough start.

Test and get back to us.

BTW is the engines air filter clean?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm probably not the best at using some of these tools mentioned, to be honest, but I'll read up on these.
I bought the parts on my own without being told, so if anyone is to blame, it's me for not doing better research. Unfortunately, the car isn't really starting any better after replacing all these parts : (

Does the engine sounds slow as it turns, as if something would be keeping from turning. Is it struggling to spin fast to normal speed.? A bit yes
I can only say from past experiences when a battery is replaced on most cars, (to me) the engine cranks over fast and the car starts within a few seconds. This doesn't seem any different with a new battery, or with a new fuel pump.
When starting the car, it sounds like the battery isn't fully charged and it takes a few turnovers for the car to start. Of all the CRV startup videos of this era that I've seen, none really sound super fast to turn over and start, but not as bad as mine. It's hard to explain without posting a video or an audio clip, which maybe is the next step if possible.
The check engine light doesn't stay on and the guys that replaced the fuel pump did a scan, and no sensors or anything else showed bad.

Air and cabin filters were both changed a couple months ago when the oil was changed.
Battery reads a steady 14v when running. The cables are the originals tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts