Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CRV 2004 LX4WD I noticed the guage was on empty and the light was on. Went to the filing staion and after pumping about 3 gallons the tank was full but gauge still was on empty with the light on. Please give suggestions on what the problem is and what remedy there may be to fix the problem.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The gauge and the low fuel warning lamp operate on two separate circuits. The gauge works based on the amount of voltage that is dropped across the circuit depending on the position of the float. When the voltage drop is high, resistance is high and the gauge will read low. When the voltage drop is low, the gauge will read high.

The low fuel lamp sensor has high resistance / high voltage drop when it is submerged in gasoline with the result being that the lamp is 'off'. When the low fuel sensor is 'dry' the resistance decreases resulting in a low voltage drop and the lamp illuminates.

So, if you had an open circuit on the gauge side, and a shorted circuit on the low fuel warning lamp side you would have the scenario you describe. If you unplugged the harness connector to the fuel pump tank unit, the low fuel warning lamp on the dash should not stay illuminated with the ignition switch in the 'run' position. If the lamp stays illuminated, I'd suggest that your issue is an electrical problem involving multiple circuits - not a common issue, but still a possibility.

Alternatively, if the fuel filler vent system was malfunctioning, you would have a gas tank that would be hard to fill - it would keep shutting off the gas pump nozzle even though the tank was not truely 'full'. The low fuel warning lamp sensor typically is 'dry' when there is just about 4 gallons of gasoline in the tank.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts