Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE CR-V OF THE MONTH
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having issues with 2002 ex the fuel gauge reads empty all the time. I recently tried a different sending unit and still no change. I also did the dash test and the gauge sweeps up and down in test mood. I have 2 extra sending units. I plugged one in out of the tank and manually moved the float and the gauge still don’t move.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,682 Posts
Sounds as if you have either a shorted or open (broken) wire going to the gauge cluster. (Some senders provide more resistance at empty, some less)

First action is to plug/unplug the connectors to the gauges 3x, in case there is a high resistance/broken wire there. Visual inspection, too.

Is the LOW FUEL light on? That MIGHT be a clue, not sure. :whistle:

++++++++++

If all this is too much, just be diligent about resetting the trip odometer at each fill-up. We start looking for gas stations at about 250 miles on a tank.
Our LOW FUEL light comes on at about 320 miles, and the car takes ~ 14 gallons of 15.3 under those circumstances.

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds as if you have either a shorted or open (broken) wire going to the gauge cluster. (Some senders provide more resistance at empty, some less)

First action is to plug/unplug the connectors to the gauges 3x, in case there is a high resistance/broken wire there. Visual inspection, too.

Is the LOW FUEL light on? That MIGHT be a clue, not sure. :whistle:

++++++++++

If all this is too much, just be diligent about resetting the trip odometer at each fill-up. We start looking for gas stations at about 250 miles on a tank.
Our LOW FUEL light comes on at about 320 miles, and the car takes ~ 14 gallons of 15.3 under those circumstances.
So take the cluster out and unplug from the back or you saying from the sending unit? And yes the light is on also

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,682 Posts
You already tried new sending units, so it not likely to be THAT plug. (Unless that is where a broken wire is)

But as the low fuel light works, I'd def. be pulling the instrument cluster and looking around.

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You already tried new sending units, so it not likely to be THAT plug. (Unless that is where a broken wire is)

But as the low fuel light works, I'd def. be pulling the instrument cluster and looking around.
So trace back the wires from sending unit to the cluster? Would should I look for behind it? Like I said the fuel gauge sweeps when I do the dash test

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,682 Posts
If a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything, a few hours with a wiring diagram and VOM meter is warranted.

++++++++++++++

Years ago, I fixed a lot of issues with my sister-in-law's Nissan. One of the issues was a broken wire trace on the circuit board of the instruments, which I repaired with wire and a bit o' soldering.

After I gave her the car back, she called me and said "THAT hasn't worked since I bought the car used!!!"

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If a visual inspection doesn't reveal anything, a few hours with a wiring diagram and VOM meter is warranted.

++++++++++++++

Years ago, I fixed a lot of issues with my sister-in-law's Nissan. One of the issues was a broken wire trace on the circuit board of the instruments, which I repaired with wire and a bit o' soldering.

After I gave her the car back, she called me and said "THAT hasn't worked since I bought the car used!!!"
I’d really like to figure it out. I was praying on it just being the sending unit but since I’ve tested it with 2 others it’s something else. I’m not sure if I can rule out the gauge yet tho either.

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

++++++++++++++

Would this be it http://honda.automotive-manuals.com/cr-v-2002-2005/A00/HTML/61/S9A2E61A20326427702FEAT00.HTML

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,682 Posts
Great find.

I think USA models are KA. (so, non-KZ connectors apply)

See what the resistance readings are on the duplicate fuel pumps that you have. Tho' the Parts Cannon approach would seem to indicate that the issue lies elsewhere.

You need to find the inputs to the cluster.

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just giving an update. I’ll be working on the crv this weekend hopefully can get it figured out. I did remember that I taped up a wire right above the connector that had a small bit of copper showing. But after I taped it nothing changed. So I’ll be testing that wires with a meter and following the wires back. My girlfriend has a 2002 as well maybe swap clusters and see if anything changes with that.

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So I found one black wire that had some chew marks on it that I traced back from the pump to under the seat. I took care of that. I took the cluster out and it it had a HUGE rats nest. I wonder if it is messed up from them peeing on it and it got wet?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,682 Posts
Possible, but more n likely, those varmints were chewing on yer wires. <---said in my BEST Yosemite Sam voice :giggle:

You should be able to clean the cluster-nest and eliminate any shorts. Do the final rinse with alcohol, and let it dry overnight before re-installing. ( It HAS to be dry. Inspect before plugging in)
Repair the chewed wires. Wrap with Honda rodent tape or equivalent.
Honda 4019-2317

Post back with results.

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Hood Automotive tire
St
Motor vehicle Typewriter Office equipment Automotive lighting Automotive design

Possible, but more n likely, those varmints were chewing on yer wires. <---said in my BEST Yosemite Sam voice :giggle:

You should be able to clean the cluster-nest and eliminate any shorts. Do the final rinse with alcohol, and let it dry overnight before re-installing. ( It HAS to be dry. Inspect before plugging in)
Repair the chewed wires. Wrap with Honda rodent tape or equivalent.
Honda 4019-2317

Post back with results.
I took the cluster out and I was taking it apart and it broke :(. I have yard by me that has one for $35 I’m just going to pick that up I cleaned all the nest up and taped all the wires up I could see that had chew marks. You think the cluster had a short in it from the peeing on it haha?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,682 Posts
You seem to be obsessed with the pee. :rolleyes:o_O

This is WAY outside of my area of expertise, but aside from a smell, won't the pee have dry up after you clean the mess? :cautious:

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You seem to be obsessed with the pee. :rolleyes:o_O

This is WAY outside of my area of expertise, but aside from a smell, won't the pee have dry up after you clean the mess? :cautious:
I would assume it would dry up. But if it got on the circuit board who knows what happen. We all know what happens with water and electronics

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,682 Posts
Apparently it IS conductive... sorry.

·
Registered
2002 ex AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Apparently it IS conductive... sorry.

i also forgot to mention I removed the number 10 fuse before doing everything yesterday and the gauge moved to about a 1/4 tank to empty. Fuel light stayed on. Im sure that nest was in the dash for awhile. The people that I purchased the car from said it sat for a year or so maybe longer. I mean I paid $300 bucks for it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts