Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 2009 CRV with 31k miles. i have no issues whatsoever with the fuel milage or whatever. but is it OKAY for me, just for the hell of it, use a STP Fuel Injector Cleaner so it clears out any gunk and junk building?

just being proactive. but before I do, i need some expert advice.

thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have my 2009 CRV with 31k miles. i have no issues whatsoever with the fuel milage or whatever. but is it OKAY for me, just for the hell of it, use a STP Fuel Injector Cleaner so it clears out any gunk and junk building?

just being proactive. but before I do, i need some expert advice.

thanks
I am watching this thread to hear pro's and cons on this subject because I have used various brands of injector cleaners on and off over the years in various vehicles .

I am also wondering if just putting in high test gas on a regular cycle of say every 5 or 6 fill ups is just as good. .

I know the high test gas gives me a lot better mileage and I think the extra price is warranted by the amount of extra MPG . . . in my case , liters per 100 km .

·
Registered
601 Posts
This question reminds me of an old magazine cartoon I once saw: Mechanic to customer - "I'm sorry sir. It's too late to stop using additives. Your car has become an addict."

But seriously, whether you need to use a fuel additive or not depends on a number of factors including the quality of the fuel you use, mileage, if you fill the tank frequently or let the vehicle sit and fill infrequently to name a few.
Best to start off by using good quality fuel if it is available. See:
http://www.toptiergas.com

I am not familiar with the STP product but would recommend using Chevron Techron additive occasionally as a preventive or to boost low quality fuel or if the vehicle already has fuel delivery issues or sits long periods unused a product called Seafoam. You have to be careful though with the products you choose as some are very corrosive and overuse can do more harm than good.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My non-expert advice is YES…it won’t hurt it, but as to whether your V really NEEDS it, it depends…which Gravy covered.

I buy Costco gas regularly which I don’t think contains any of the fancy additives you get in top tier gas. To compensate I add a bottle of Chevron Techron to the tank every so often (when the vehicle is due for an oil change).

I have no evidence this practice helps or not, but I do it with all my cars (including a Ford Ranger I’ve owned for over 15 years) and have never had a fuel problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Interesting to see the referral to Chevron Techron . I have often seen it but never bought it because of price.
So many different prices on that stuff and I usually bought the cheapest brands at WalMart.
Now as has been mentioned , that could be a mistake because of it possibly being corrosive.
A case of getting what you pay for ? ? ?

Another concern is the 10% ethenol used in low and middle grade gas . Don't know if that has any effect on fouling injectors more than straight gas or not but that is the reason I often put in a tank of high test which has no ethenol .

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,457 Posts
My strategy has been to buy a top-tier gasoline.

Oh, and occasionally we run the engines "through the gears"...the high-RPM operation results in a higher duty cycle for the injectors (translation: they are squirting more gasoline at higher fuel pressures) which also cleans them out.

170K miles on the Acura and I never spent a dime on Techron. I have used it in my sports car, however, after I had some gunk clog the fuel pump intake.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My non-expert advice is YES…it won’t hurt it, but as to whether your V really NEEDS it, it depends…which Gravy covered.

I buy Costco gas regularly which I don’t think contains any of the fancy additives you get in top tier gas. To compensate I add a bottle of Chevron Techron to the tank every so often (when the vehicle is due for an oil change).

I have no evidence this practice helps or not, but I do it with all my cars (including a Ford Ranger I’ve owned for over 15 years) and have never had a fuel problem.
Re: Costco gas, they post a sign at the pump indicating it has additives. Basically, I think Costco buys same gas as everyone else and just sells it cheaper.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm no expert on gasoline, I also think gas is all the same. However, I had a friend who drove an 06 Accord and started to notice (intermittently) sounds of "pinging" or "knocks" when he accelerated. His mechanic said to stop using Costco gas and start using Chevron w/techron and the pinging/knocking stopped.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a friend who works for Shell (an engineer in Houston) and a cousin who does similar work for BP. I can tell you that the additives are different from each company. Enough different to care? Hard to say. How does the gasoline get intermixed at the distributors and trucked to your local off-brand station? Can't say.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,457 Posts
It is my understanding that when the gasoline tanker truck fills up at the refinery, the brand-specific additives are blended then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a friend who works for Shell (an engineer in Houston) and a cousin who does similar work for BP. I can tell you that the additives are different from each company. Enough different to care? Hard to say. How does the gasoline get intermixed at the distributors and trucked to your local off-brand station? Can't say.

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

if you think all gas the same you are wrong!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am always amazed at who is NOT on here.
No mention of walmart or costco or sam's

USA Canada
76 Stations Chevron Canada
Aloha Petroleum Esso
Chevron PetroCanada
Conoco Shell Canada
CountryMark Sunoco Canada
Entec Stations
Exxon
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Rebel Oil
Road Ranger
Severson Oil
Shell
Texaco
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

·
Registered
120 Posts
Top Tier Detergent Gasoline

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is the premier standard for gasoline performance. Six of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance.

Since the minimum additive performance standards were first established by EPA in 1995, most gasoline marketers have actually reduced the concentration level of detergent additive in their gasoline by up to 50%. As a result, the ability of a vehicle to maintain stringent Tier 2 emission standards have been hampered, leading to engine deposits which can have a big impact on in-use emissions and driver satisfaction.

These automakers have raised the bar. TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline help drivers avoid lower quality gasoline which can leave deposits on critical engine parts, which reduces engine performance. That's something both drivers and automakers want to avoid.

if you think all gas the same you are wrong!!
Note your sources when you copy please...http://www.toptiergas.com/
I did not see anything like this in the CR-V manual... Sounds like a marketing hype site to me.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V EXL
157 Posts
I don't know if I'm right or wrong but I've always considered those types of products as snake oil. I've never used any additive and have yet to regret it. For what it's worth we buy the majority of our gas at Costco.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Several years ago I worked for a company called BG Products. They are one of the many companies selling these type of additives, but one of only a handful actually manufacturing them. Their cleaner, 44K, is probably the most expensive on the market, but seeing side by side comparisons in their lab convinced me it was worth the cost.

The test method was to put the additives on a white ceramic plate and set them on fire. All of the competitors' products burned with a blue flame and produced virtually no smoke. The only thing that burns that clean is alcohol. How can an alcohol based cleaner do much, if any, cleaning if it is completely gone as soon as it gets to the combustion chamber? Yes, it may help a little with the injectors, but the big problem lies in the carbon buildup on valves and the crown of the piston.

44K produced a thick black smoke when it was burned, but it never flamed. This means the additive is still in the combustion chamber after ignition, providing cleaning effects beyond just injectors. We actually ran test data on the emissions of a 2003 Dodge Durango also. It had a V8 with 120k miles. We did nothing but add 44K and ran it on a dyne for 100 miles. After the dyno time we found that the emissions had improved 17%. Not a huge jump, but not a huge effort/investment to get there either.

So, what does this mean? It means that this product is actually doing more than cleaning just injectors. It's actually helping O2 sensors, catalytic convertors, and valves. In real world, non-controlled reports from my customers, I was told that they had experienced no improvement in gas mileage, up to a 3 mpg improvement, and all who had 50k + miles noticed an improvement in throttle response after running a couple of tanks of gas through after using the product.

As a disclaimer, I don't work for the company and haven't for several years, so I'm not trying to promote any particular brand. I'm just reporting what I saw happen in their lab in Wichita, KS. I'm a believer and use the product on my own cars.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CRV EX 2.4l AT
326 Posts
Fuel additives. Falls into the category of: doesn't hurt, might help?

IMHO, the two most respected ones are chevron techron, and gumout regane.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've used Redline SI-1 in every vehicle I've owned since '95; there's a good White Paper on Redline's website; check it out. I like it because it's concentrated and you can adjust the dosage to suit- buy a used vehicle, use a whole bottle in one tank. After that, 1 or 2 ounces in a tank every other month or so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I second REDLINE SL-1 complete fuel system cleaner, has the same ingredient that is in Chevron's Techron, and costs less than Chevron's Techron, or Gumout's Regane...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts