Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 has failed to start a couple of isolated incidents; no fault code shown. Then last night I had to drive up the same hill three times--and each time the engine sputtered at the same point on the upward incline. After the first I fueled up because I was low, but it didn't make a difference. Now I've got an engine light.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
First action is to get the CEL code...if you don't have a scanner, an auto parts store will read your car for free.

From your description of the failures, I'd look at battery terminals. Is your battery securely tied down by the factory J-hooks and bar? Can you twist the terminals on the battery without loosening them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I should've noted when it failed to start it cranked fine so I assumed of course fuel or ignition. Then when it stumbled on that hill I assumed it's the same problem and it's fuel. No codes shown last time I checked after starting issue. Just checked the codes and got P0420 and P1259, bank one yadda yadda and oil prx or level, respectively.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Neither of those codes would 'kill' an engine.

Perhaps there is something in the fuel tank that is being sucked up on the incline? Check by removing the pump.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is embarrassing but I found the oil was three quarts low. I think I got an engine light for low oil level. Engine light reset itself. I checked it not long ago and it's still just shy of due oil change, so it must be burning it at a good rate.
I still have the starting issue and the P0420 code, which may or may not be related.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts