Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gasoline is dripping out of bottom rear of 2003 CR-V but only when the car is running. What's happening?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,194 Posts
Are you sure it's gas? The gas tank (and associated fuel lines) are located on the left side of the car ahead of the rear wheel.

The exhaust system is what runs along the right side. And, as the car is warming up, you might notice condensate (water) dripping out of drain holes in the muffler. (Not an issue, it's normal, but you might not have noticed it during warmer weather.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out it was the gas lines. Went to my local Honda dealer/service dept. Costing around $1400. Does that sound about right for a $120 part??? Lots o labor to get to those lines?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Turns out it was the gas lines. Went to my local Honda dealer/service dept. Costing around $1400. Does that sound about right for a $120 part??? Lots o labor to get to those lines?
AFAIK, there are no gas line"s". There is one "liquid gas" line going from tank to fuel filter. The other line is purge line carrying vapor. There are vent tubes on the tank. There is no gas line to the rear of the fuel tank. If they say liquid gas is leaking that far to the rear, they should just replace the line from fuel tank to the fuel filter. The gas line going from the filter to the engine is another world. I believe it is a single piece of tubing with lot of twists and turns. It is well hidden/ protected. It would help if you could post a picture of the parts and labor estimate with the part numbers etc.

·
Registered
571 Posts
you have to change all the lines gas, vent,purge, brakes. they are all the same age with the same amout of rust. If you just change one line, chances are in a few weeks another line will leak.

cross member has to be lowered or removed, gas tank, lots of man hours

·
Registered
47 Posts
I now have the same issue with my 2002 CRV EX AWD - gas leaking from the Left (drivers side) rear when the car is running and for some time when the car is then stopped and shut off. Over about 9 months I noticed fresh gas smell whenever I shut my car off but it did not present with any leaks nor any affect on the MPG that I closely monitored. Any assistance in gaining access to above / side of the tank to determine root cause and fixes is appreciated. My 2002 CRV only has 133K miles and has been well maintained. I suspect that Minnesota cancer is to blame (salt + fuel lines = rust) since the car spent ~ 7 years in MN and is now back in OH.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone ever replaced the fuel line that runs off the fuel pump of my 2002 CRV? Need guidance - it appears to run from stem to stern.

Found out more tonight - the fuel line coming off the fuel pump is rusted in only one small section and appears to have rusted inside out (it has bloomed). It's in a section that all the other pipes in the section are pristine - surprised that it failed in that location. It appears that it might be the PIPE, FUEL FEED part 17700-S9A-A03 that runs from the fuel pump head all the way to the engine. Added pictures of the location just off the fuel pump under the pump access cover. upnorth2002CRVIMG_4239.jpg upnorth2002CRVIMG_4226.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anyone alive on this forum? Need help metal HP fuel line repair or splicing or replacement? Anyone ever perform this work. Honda service says 14 person hours ($1395) and $156.33 in parts. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
806 Posts
All I would do is purchase a shop manual and the part and have at it. Or maybe contact another dealer for an estimate and see if they match.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would seek out a respected "Mom & Pop" type repair shop. For instance, there are two family owned shops near me where they do high quality work at affordable prices. Very upfront and won't give you a line of shine-ola.

When my Miata needed a new EGR valve (very hard to access) the dealer wanted $900 but the M&P shop did it for $350. I did get a Veterans 10% discount, though. :)

Ask around and forget going to the dealer.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Anyone alive on this forum? Need help metal HP fuel line repair or splicing or replacement? Anyone ever perform this work. Honda service says 14 person hours ($1395) and $156.33 in parts. Thanks in advance.
I don't like splices, they might leak and are illegal in some places. You have to replace the line, either but using the Honda part, or make a line with fittings. Honda passes the line on the places they were designed to pass. This means removing the tank crossmember and lots of other parts. Most of the time the brake lines are changed at the same time.

·
Administrator
3,351 Posts
On fuel and brake lines always minimize the number of joints. Each joint other than at parts like fuel pump increases leak potential.
I

·
Everything in Moderation
8,194 Posts
??? You got your answer.

Best practice is to replace all the lines. No splices.

Cheapest repair would be from an independent auto shop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Repair complete - I replaced the fuel line from the fuel pump to the undercarriage area (where the lines run parallel up to the front). It cost me $74.37 in parts from Dorman (nylon) and AutoZone (fuel brass compression fittings). A weekend's job but fixed for less than Honda wanted ($2000 +). The issue with the dealer replacing the lines is that the while back end has to be removed and in doing so the mechanic said they'll break a few things that will add up to about $500 - 1000 more in additional parts due to the 2002 CRV's age.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts