Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi CR-V Forums,

My 2012 2nd hand CR-V has a problem with its fuel indicator on the dashboard.

It shows full once the tank is full , but the needle goes only a quarter level down even when the tank is physically close to empty.

I even tried removing the fuel float from the tank - The needle still shows that only a quarter of fuel has been used.

The mechanic told me that it is an electrical issue and is really expensive to repair as he has to replace a part of the dashboard electrical system...

Is there any other solution you guys could think off?

Regards.

·
Banned
806 Posts
If it were mine, I would wonder down to the local Honda dealer and ask the parts counter people if they have any ideas or have seen the problem before. Or ask a service advisor if they have any ideas.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
Failing what DYI Guy said, the "old school" workaround is to use the trip odometer to monitor fuel level.

On my V, I can always get at least 250 miles on a tank. So when my trip odo reaches that mileage, I would stop for gas.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

To fix your 2012, I would try to replace the fuel meter sending unit first, #4: 17047-T0A-000

It is available for ~$135 from the online Honda dealers. Or, maybe you could get one from a junkyard.

We had an Acura that had the same symptom and the sender was the issue. It had failed from the corrosive effect of Ethanol. It was a warranty repair for us, fortunately.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
There must be a way to troubleshoot the gauge itself, to determine if the gauge is the problem or the sending unit.
I was thinking that a voltage (has to be the proper one) could be put into the connector at the fuel pump location into the proper terminals to see if the gas gauge reacts properly. You would need an electrical diagram with pin layout and the proper voltage or resistance.
Some people have even had some luck by adding Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus to their gas which supposedly removed some deposits from the sending units. Perhaps yours doesn't work that way.
Here is one video but others are also available on the right side of the screen when you go to : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6RkA63oN8
According to a google search, if the gauge in the dash is bad, it gets expensive.

Buffalo4

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
It's most likely that the problem is in the fuel tank with the way it's measuring.
Very rare failure, but when it happens it's infuriating.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I own a 2005 iCTDI 2.2 Diesel so slightly different arrangement in the fuel tank.

I recently replaced my Fuel sender unit seal as it had been leaking for some time. The Gauge had never been all that accurate and I had never seen the low fuel light as we had always filled up at around three quarters empty.
When I took the sender unit out of the tank to replace the seal I took photographs to ensure I replaced everything the right way round.

After doing the initial job I noticed that the fuel gauge was reading slightly higher than it had been previously but thought nothing of it. However, it never moved after that and we got to over 460 miles on the trip before panicing and filling up. Turned out to still have 8 litres in hand but pretty empty and the fuel Gauge should have been in the reserve area.

I removed the unit again and cleaned up the fuel sender potentiometer contacts with some spirit and a fluff free cloth. I also connected the gauge sender wiring while the unit was out of the tank and tested the fuel float in different positions which showed that the dash needle was working as expectd and, also the low fuel warning light which came on at the lower settings.

I replaced the unit and the fuel level, again, stayed at the same place as previously, perhaps a little lower but then, we had since filled the tank and used around half of it.
When we filled up again, the gauge refused to go to the full level which was irritating. I had no idea what to think now because I had tested everything as working fine.

Two days later the needle on the dash suddenly popped up to the full level ( or very close) and then proceeded to drop normally.

When I say normally, the gauge had never been that accurate. For example, it didn't move from the full mark until we had done over 100 miles and then it fell quite quickly but always gave around 250 miles by the half tank mark. This also sounded a bit optimistic!

It quickly became clear that the gauge was only going to go down as far as the three quarter empty mark again however so I went in for a third look.

On the Diesel model there are two pipes connected to the top of the sender unit, one feed and one return for excess Diesel, as well as a electrical connector for the fuel level gauge. This is why I took a photograph when I stripped the unit out and made sure to put it back the same way. For this reason I paid no attention to the instruction in the Haynes manual about lining up the mark on the sender unit body between the two reference marks on the top of the Fuel tank when refitting. I just put it back the same way it had come out which was obvious due to the position of the wiring block and the set of the, quite stiff, plastic fuel pipes.

Imagine my surprise therefore to find that the sender unit was 180 degrees out of alignment. I was a bit concerned about turning it around that far because it meant that the pipes would be connected to their opposite out/in lets and only one of those is filtered.
However, I trusted in the Haynes advice and the obvious reference marks and turned it around.

The fuel Gauge issue has been resolved and no other running problems have been detected therefore I can only assume that someone, in that vehicles history, had removed the tank unit and replaced it the wrong way round. It seems to make no difference to the running of the vehicle to have the supply and return pipes reversed (as they were) nor did it make any difference correcting this, although I'm sure any extra filtration is always a good thing. The gauage however is totally different. It starts to drop slowly and linearly from the very beginning and goes all the way down until the low fuel warning comes on. When we re-fuel we have the expected amount of fuel in the tank.

So, all you people experiencing odd fuel gauge behaviour! It's worth a look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts