Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’ve recently had an issue with my 2018 CRV EX 2WD. Now, dont judge me for this one as it was a dumb moment ... unfortunately a few days ago I was idling in a parking lot on accessory waiting for a family member. I didn’t realize how long it had actually been on accessory until it was too late : my battery was shot. My poor baby wouldn’t start. I had a local Honda dealer look at it, say it was the battery as well, replaced it yesterday and sent me on my way. This morning I noticed my fuel mileage gauge was acting up. I would be sitting at a light, it would be 30.2MPG, and then all the sudden it would be 29.6. Any quick fixes ? Or is this a dealership issue ?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi all. I’ve recently had an issue with my 2018 CRV EX 2WD. Now, dont judge me for this one as it was a dumb moment ... unfortunately a few days ago I was idling in a parking lot on accessory waiting for a family member. I didn’t realize how long it had actually been on accessory until it was too late : my battery was shot. My poor baby wouldn’t start. I had a local Honda dealer look at it, say it was the battery as well, replaced it yesterday and sent me on my way. This morning I noticed my fuel mileage gauge was acting up. I would be sitting at a light, it would be 30.2MPG, and then all the sudden it would be 29.6. Any quick fixes ? Or is this a dealership issue ?
When the battery dies or gets unplugged the mpg history gets reset. If it doesn't settle after an hour or so then talk to a dealer. It is probably behaving as it does when you manually reset the trip odometer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
How can the motor be idling and accessory be on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the battery dies or gets unplugged the mpg history gets reset. If it doesn't settle after an hour or so then talk to a dealer. It is probably behaving as it does when you manually reset the trip odometer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thats what I figured. I’m going to give it until tomorrow morning and if it doesn’t quit behaving I’ll call the dealer.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
.........I would be sitting at a light, it would be 30.2MPG, and then all the sudden it would be 29.6. Any quick fixes ? Or is this a dealership issue ?
I don't believe there's anything to fix. While sitting at a light you are getting ZERO, zip, nada mpg. ZERO mpg is subtracting from average 30.2 mpg.....gotta be moving, not sitting. Not moving for long enough and your average mpg will go to ZERO......because you are not moving. The M in mpg stands for "miles". You have to be moving to accumulate miles.

For once, the dealership will be correct when they say "this is normal"

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Hummm. Not sure how to take that one.:confused2:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I don't believe there's anything to fix. While sitting at a light you are getting ZERO, zip, nada mpg. ZERO mpg is subtracting from average 30.2 mpg.....gotta be moving, not sitting. Not moving for long enough and your average mpg will go to ZERO......because you are not moving. The M in mpg stands for "miles". You have to be moving to accumulate miles.

Yes your 100% right this is normal. I can also tell you that it updates when you touch the brake pedal. I guess the subroutine that calculates the MPG is triggered to update the results when the brake pedal is touched. I have done exactly what the OP has done, I had one reading when I parked the Car and then idled it for 15 minutes while the Wife went into a store and the moment I put my foot on the brake and put it into drive the MPG dropped by about 0.5

The longer the interval between resets will cause the change to lessen, but if you just put in gas and reset the system you will see huge swings until that average builds up.

Rob

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have noticed that mpg and distance to empty goes down REAL fast when sitting idle or stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

DTE is usually pretty accurate for me.
Recently I took a 45 mile trip but was stuck in traffic due to an accident.
When i left dte was at 100 miles. When I finally arrived after sitting in traffic for a long period of time my dte was at like 20 miles.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts

I think you might be wrong on this one. If the engine is idling it's using gas and that's part of the MPG readings.
I have sat in traffic jams and have noticed the MPG reading go down

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I think you might be wrong on this one. If the engine is idling it's using gas and that's part of the MPG readings.
I have sat in traffic jams and have noticed the MPG reading go down
That's exactly what I'm saying (in post #6).....if you're not adding miles in that 2 part equation, mpg decreases (and the mpg display #s on the dash panel decrease). I've watched it (the display) drop more or less than 2 mpg in a drive-thru line. Drive-thrus should be outlawed.....but they really keep big oil happy.

That's what I don't understand about post #5......why would you think decreasing mpg on the dash display, while sitting/not moving but the motor is running consuming gas, would be something the dealership should investigate. "It's perfectly normal, they all do that" as the dealership would say.:Notagain:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
No problems crv383.
Genesis just speed read your post and missed a word or two so got it all backwards. I have done that several times and had to go back and edit the post. Unfortunately you already quoted him so that solutions is not valid. The main thing is that we all seem to agree that idling will kill your MPG numbers very quickly if you reset it often.

Rob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I'm not sure we all agree about idling killing mpg.....the OP seems to think it's a dealership issue that needs to be fixed. Kinda reminds me of the other evening on Water's World and Waters is interviewing college students on whatever college campus....Water's question was, "when was the War of 1812 fought?".....college student answers "ahhh, 1960".:Notagain: Another student was asked "from whom did we declare our independence?"......student answers "ahhh, West Virginia.:Notagain: You can't make this up.....it's real and it's out there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I think it is Related to gas burned vs Miles driven. Because I see when I am sitting in traffic average goes up as I am burning fuel and not driving. However idling does not burn the same amount of fuel as driving so average might only go up slightly.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I think it is Related to gas burned vs Miles driven. Because I see when I am sitting in traffic average goes up as I am burning fuel and not driving. However idling does not burn the same amount of fuel as driving so average might only go up slightly.
How would it be possible for the average to go up when you're not moving? You are burning gas and not adding any distance. That is equal to 0mpg's. The only way mpg's would not go down is if you turned the engine off.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
With regard to #16......:jawdrop::Notagain::Notagain::Notagain::Notagain:

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
How would it be possible for the average to go up when you're not moving? You are burning gas and not adding any distance. That is equal to 0mpg's. The only way mpg's would not go down is if you turned the engine off.
Because in Canada, where that poster is located, the fuel economy is rated in Liters/100KM, It is NOT MPG. The higher number is worse fuel economy. A higher number indicates MORE fuel burnt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts