Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience that the 2018 model only gets at the most 27mpg. Most of the time it can even be below at 25. Eco or non Eco doesn't make a difference. I am also a very light pedaled driver.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
485 Posts
Anyone else experience that the 2018 model only gets at the most 27mpg. Most of the time it can even be below at 25. Eco or non Eco doesn't make a difference. I am also a very light pedaled driver.
Have you done the math with a calculator when you fill your tank to get an accurate fuel economy figure?

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts
I managed to score 12mpg one time. I was impressed!

Best method to calculate is manually. Naturally, the frequency of your fill ups should give you some idea too as to what your fuel econ is.

Also, forget using the ECON button unless you are doing a steady 60mph on a flat road/motorway. Otherwise, it just chokes performance.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
485 Posts
I managed to score 12mpg one time. I was impressed!

Best method to calculate is manually. Naturally, the frequency of your fill ups should give you some idea too as to what your fuel econ is.

Also, forget using the ECON button unless you are doing a steady 60mph on a flat road/motorway. Otherwise, it just chokes performance.
I got that beat! I get 9 MPG when the engine is cold and I cruise up the hill (20% grade) about a half mile to the store. However, I get about 50 MPG coming back down the hill. :LOL:

·
Registered
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
93 Posts
On our 2018 EX-L, we regularly get mileage in the mid to high 20s in mixed driving, and mileage in the mid 30s on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts
I got that beat! I get 9 MPG when the engine is cold and I cruise up the hill (20% grade) about a half mile to the store. However, I get about 50 MPG coming back down the hill. :LOL:
In my old Accord, I got 133MPG going downhill amidst the twisty roads of the Scottish Highlands....need to try the same with the V at some point.

Although I am more interested in seeing if I can beat that 9MPG!!

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
485 Posts
In my old Accord, I got 133MPG going downhill amidst the twisty roads of the Scottish Highlands....need to try the same with the V at some point.

Although I am more interested in seeing if I can beat that 9MPG!!
I'm sure you can beat 9 MPG if you gun it hard up some mountain or hill.

The real challenge will be beating my high MPG record which is 199.9 MPG (I don't think the system can register anything higher). That occurred by coasting downhill out of our National Forest for about 10 miles.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,417 Posts
This is where the term "your mileage may vary" comes from. Literally every owner is driving their own particular daily/weekly pattern and it can and does vary widely as to what mpg results from it.

There are at least a dozen variables at play here..... starting with your foot, followed by weather, road conditions, type of driving (freeway, city, combo), etc. In addition, the formal mpg certifications for vehicles is idealized around a controlled set of conditions (for repeatability and vehicle to vehicle comparisons while shopping).

To me... the most important aspect of dialing the normal mpg from my 2017 was to baseline it against my 2008 CRV that I replaced with the 2017. Reason: both vehicles are being driven by the same driver, under the same driving patterns and conditions. So if I see a proportional improvement in my 2017 to my 2008 in terms of actual vs specified mpg... I know if I have a normally operating powertrain.

So.. what I did in the first months of owning my 2017... was to manually calculate mpg at each refueling (because you can have several % error from the onboard mpg calculations. What I was seeking was to see if the proportional improvement from my 2017s official mpg ratings vs my old 2008 (which I had a really good mpg profile on after owning for years. Result: My 2017 consistently produced about 35% better mileage than my 2008.. and that happens to be essentially what the math says when I compare the formal mpg numbers for both vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,417 Posts
I am also a very light pedaled driver.
You did not specify which engine you have in your CRV. If it is the 1.5T... a light pedal driver may actually see a bit less fuel economy in city driving.

Reason: the 1.5T benefits from being a bit more heavy with the pedal when moving from a stop at a light or intersection.

Tip: For this engine.. you benefit from leaning into the pedal from a stop to quickly move the power train into it's torque sweet spot (which is ~ 2000, rpm). The result if this is you go heavy foot to quickly move up to 25-30 mph and then ease way back on the pedal and let the vehicle complete it's move to road speed limit at a more relaxed pace. This is very different from how previous generation Hondas, and the 2018 with the 2.4L engine respond and deliver fuel economy. I saw about a 2 mpg improvement in my long term fuel economy by adapting and changing my use of the accelerator for the 1.5T compared to my older CRV with a 2.4 in it.

Basically, it pays to learn and adapt to the 1.5T+CVT powertrain in gen5 CRVs. The way I dialed in and adjusted my driving in my 2017 was to keep the instrument display set to show instantaneous fuel economy and I watched and learned how the onboard mpg calculator moved compared to how I was driving, and what kind of driving (city or freeway). I learned that you get the best fuel economy when you essentially "sport drive from 0-30, and then ease back and "granny cruise" from 30 to speed limit. Which also made driving, particularly in town, more fun too. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
On the highway our Touring gets 25 MPG. I drive at 88 MPH in state.

When driving normally we have to drive down into the valley then back into the hills on our way home. This type of driving returns 28 MPG.

This is good fuel economy when our 2016 Pilot returned 19 MPG in town and 24 on the highway (both are high than the '07 Ridgeline).

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts
I'm sure you can beat 9 MPG if you gun it hard up some mountain or hill.

The real challenge will be beating my high MPG record which is 199.9 MPG (I don't think the system can register anything higher). That occurred by coasting downhill out of our National Forest for about 10 miles.:ROFLMAO:
199MPG?

No way can I get that unless I write it! We simply dont have the elevation in the UK to reach that score!

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
485 Posts
199MPG?

No way can I get that unless I write it! We simply dont have the elevation in the UK to reach that score!
Yes, I wish so much that I would have taken a picture of it.

I was descending from about 4000' down to about 1500' over a 5 mile stretch. Consistent downhill the entire way.

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts
Yes, I wish so much that I would have taken a picture of it.

I was descending from about 4000' down to about 1500' over a 5 mile stretch. Consistent downhill the entire way.
I suspect the only topography we can get near to that is probably somewhere in Scotland!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's a 1.5t engine, we do regular driving on and off the freeway, i work at a auto shop so i have a chance to see other models the same and its always showing better mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have done the math with a calculator at fill up and is accurate to what the gauge is showing on the car.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,081 Posts
1) i always have the fuel display on my dash - and i can then see when (usually when needing to push down the pedal) when more fuel is being used.
2) when i fill up, i have the odometer set to "reset upon refill" so i get a better reading on the full for that tank of gas. seems to match closer to my manual calculation when i do that.

my 2018 - around town driving is about 28 mpg. highway is about 37 mpg.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been recording my gas consumption from the start on an app.. Winter / Summer all manor of driving I average 34 miles per Imp Gal. Best was probably 42 miles per IG.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
28 Posts
The last 12 months, I also have been recording my mileage, I average 27.2 miles per US gallons and 32.3 miles per IMP gallons with best of 40.8 miles per IMP gallons. During that period only had 1 highway trip and all the rest is city driving. Only 3,370 miles driven. I am reasonably satisfied with the results. Due to the fact that I knew I wouldn't be putting at lot of miles on, the fuel consumption didn't really influence the decision to buy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts