Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first problem I noticed was a fuel/exhaust/oil smell entering the cabin when the heat was on drawing outside air. The smell disappears when recirculating cabin air. The smell is NOT noticeable while the car is moving, but begins to build most while idling at a light or especially while in park with the vehicle running. It becomes unbearably strong.

When I looked under hood, the first thing I see is oil stain on the right, top side of engine. See attached images. There also appears to be oil in a few spots under the engine, but no noticeable spots in my garage. The image of that spot kept loading upsidedown, sorry.

This is a 2015 CRV that I've had less than a year. It is still under warranty. I took it to the dealer, who took a quick look and told me there was no evidence of exhaust leak or oil leak. He would not admit to smelling the fumes. He also stated the oil was probably from 'someone' spilling something on the engine. It is a brand new car and the dealer is the only one that has serviced the vehicle for an oil change at the end of October. I also asked him point blank if he checked cabin and intake air filters to see if they are clean and he replied yes. I found the cabin air filtered completely black and smelling strongly of oil/exhaust. I've been bringing a CO detector in the vehicle just to make sure I am safe while driving. It has not registered any levels of CO. I'm replacing the cabin air filter. But I would like your suggestions as to what could be causing that oil spot, I would assume that is where the smell is also originating. Or is the spot unrelated, should I still be worried about a fuel leak? Other thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Welcome to the forum! From the 2nd image at the right side of the engine cover looks like engine oil. When they have done an oil change it they could have spilled oil on top of the valve cover. Have you tried to open the plastic engine cover to see where the oil is coming from. How is the oil level? It could also be that the hose to the PCV valve is leaking or loose. Do you have another dealer close by. If so, I would take it there. This is not acceptable as you do not want to be breathing this all the time. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I would also take it to another Dealer, if possible, or go back to the same Dealer and talk to his supervisor or another person besides himself. If you had the work (oil change) done there, they should be apologizing and be cleaning it up, if it is just spilled oil.
At least they should do a good exterior engine cleaning job.
Most likely the oil is getting on a hot spot on the engine and causing those fumes.
I would also tell that manager that you checked the cabin air filter 'after' he said he checked it and it was black.
See what he says. Poor service, perhaps he/she was having a bad day, which, in business, is no excuse.
Be polite (I would have a hard time doing that) and calm and see what happens.
After they clean the engine, see if they will give you a new cabin air filter since the new one you installed will probably have that odor imbedded in it.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issues -- you described it perfectly.

I took it to the dealer, who indicated that nothing was wrong and dismissed my questions as "new car" smell. I have about 2,200 miles on the vehicle, purchased in November 2015. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it's not fading either. I have a garage attached to my home, and the smell can get strong enough to where it is noticeable in the entryway.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I am having the same issues -- you described it perfectly.

I took it to the dealer, who indicated that nothing was wrong and dismissed my questions as "new car" smell. I have about 2,200 miles on the vehicle, purchased in November 2015. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it's not fading either. I have a garage attached to my home, and the smell can get strong enough to where it is noticeable in the entryway.
do you always smell fuel or just occasionally? It could also be the charcoal canister is defective. Let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts