Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody!
My CR-V with a B20 engine runs smoothly most of the time. I had a lot of problems before mentioned here http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/92977-1998-cr-v-hesitating-sometimes.html

I am still struggling a bit with it....only a tiny little bit ;)

Everytime i drive in it, theres nothing wrong. but after a short parking (5 or 10 minutes) it hesitates for a while the first 0,5-1 mile and then it runs smoothly Again. It only happens then the engine is completely hot.
If i go to my local store only a few miles away on a Cold engine, there are no hesitation going back after a 5 or 10 minuttes parking. (engine not completely warm)

Could it be the fuel pressure regulator giving up sometimes ?

The problem seems to be a lack of fuel and not the ignition. Yesterday i checked the fuel pressure and it was fine, at idle i measured 2,4 bar going up to 3,0 bar giving the engine some gas. After engine stop the pressure stayed on for an hour before it began to drop a bit. It tells me that my fuel injectors are tight and Works ok. 5 minutes after engine stop the pressure gauge raised 0,1 bar because the engine heat rising up is expanding the fuel in the system.
Pulling off the vacuum hose at idle the pressure also rises to 3,0 bar, there is no petrol in the vacuum hose (that would be a clear failure)

Info: in January i gave the engine an overhaul with new piston and oilrings, completed it with another cylinderhead i purchased in GB. I grinded the surface, grinded the valves, new valve stem seals . i also changed my timebelt and everything else by the way including the waterpump. in summer i changed the distributor. In october i replaced the timing belt Again, mentioned in the link above here.
There was a failure with the belt i got in January, lucky me nothing happened .

PS: I have ordered a new fuel pressure regulator but I hope somebody has a good idea. . . . and happy new year by the way B)

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
What spark plug are you using? It looks like you are getting hesitation when the fuel system goes into Closed Loop. Before you changed the distributor was this problem present already? Is this an Aftermarket Distributor? How about the 02 sensor have you replaced it before ? Try this also, remove the EGR valve get a tin can cover the ports. Then drive it around, see if you still get the hesitation. Let me know.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the genuine plugs NGK ZFR5F-11 , The problem is the same with both my new and old distributors (i tried that as the first) . I changed the O2 sensor back in January. When i did the engine job i changed my manifold and the front pipe,both where in really bad condition and the old O2 sensor didnt survive that operation.

I will look at the EGR system soon and get back to you

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We checked the catalytic converter 2 month ago, looks clean and white on the inside.And its hotter in the rear end that its supposed to be.

I started out asking about the fuel pressure regulator, whats the opinion on that? Remember i dont have big and totally serious problems, just a little bit hesitation here and there.... maybe 2 or 3 times a week and i use my car everyday.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Well it looks like it goes bad only when hot. Maybe its a sensor which gives a wrong reading when heated up. I would suggest connect a scan gauge to the car and monitor and record the readings. It will give you information about 10 different readings. It will only work if you have obd 2 port.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I dont have obd 2 , but my workmate had the same problem only worse with his 97 Honda Civic ohc econemy v-tech 1,5 litre

Nothing was wrong with the fuel pressure or regumator testing in the garage ... but out on the road and out of nothing the engine nearly died, hesitating and the RPMs went up and down .... after checking/cleaning switching a lot of known failure parts he ended up changing the regulator.. all problems went away immidiatly. Thats why im very suspicious about it... His civic didnt fail all the time either... only one day and then 3days later and so on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts