Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a high-mileage but regularly serviced older model (around 2000 I think) CR-V and use it in Africa for getting around.

Recently having worked fine all day it wouldn't start (had driven fine to my location and then just sat for two hours or so).

On doing basic checks I found a fuel problem (fuel wasn't being pumped through the system seen by taking the line off the filter).

Opened up the panel under the rear seat and the hatch to get at the fuel tank connectors. From this we were able to see that power wasn't going to the fuel pump itself (though it was coming through the terminals for the fuel level and warning).

We had previously checked the fuse so wasn't sure of the problem. A local mechanic had a look and fixed it quite quickly by finding a "switch" behind one of the front footwell panels.

Unfortunately owing to language issues I wasn't able to fully understand what this is - a breaker or anything else. He was saying it was there to "protect the fuel pump".

Reaching around behind where he had pointed I can find a black plastic connector or some sort that seems to have a rubber push-button on the top (I can't see this clearly as the panel it's behind is a big one I am loathed to remove).

Google doesn't seem to find anything other than posts of people asking "is there a cut-off switch" and being told no.

So if possible my questions are:

1. Does anyone know what this is?
2. Am I right the "reset" button is the rubberised button on the top (or am I about to punch through the diaphragm of something entirely different)?
3. Why would it go?
4. Is it likely to go again or be problematic or does it just happen sometimes like fuses?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I don't think there is a fuel shutoff (reset) on US CRVs, but there is a main fuel relay that feeds power to the fuel pump.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2 Posts
1] it is a Fuel Pump Cut Off/Cut Out
2] it cuts power to fuel pump in the event of accident.just press to reset.
3/4 sorry cant answer the last two

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
1] it is a Fuel Pump Cut Off/Cut Out
2] it cuts power to fuel pump in the event of accident.just press to reset.
3/4 sorry cant answer the last two
I couldn't find that in the 2000 CRV's owners manual. Are you sure there is such a switch or safety on a 2000 CRV?
Thanks,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
6 Posts
He does mention in the first line that the car is in Africa, would this be the same as the US version?

Davex you mentioned the box with button is behind one of the front footwell panels, could you tell us which one, driver or passenger? I have both mine off and the only thing I see is a relay and the cruise on the drivers , ECM on the passengers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies and assistance.

s.wells: great, that explains it's function.

Buffalo4: yes it's not in my handbook either, I guess it's designed to only go off once in a while after an accident.

panaceabeachbum: Yes the car is in Africa. It's a right-hand drive model (I know this alters the positioning of some stuff such as fuses etc).

I will try to explain where it is: in the passenger footwell (left-hand of the vehicle) on the right-hand side (the side of the center console) there is a facia panel that goes right round into the drivers footwell.

The black thing with the rubber button I found was; just behind this right at the back - to get at it I didn't have to remove anything just reach behind and feel around.

So my hand is up against the console, right at the back (or the "front" in relation to the car) where the panel ends there is a gap (you can see some wires and connectors which are loose on my model if you do a head-stand in the footwell). In there at the top is a black object with the rubber button on the top. I can't see the button (you would need to remove the panel you were behind and maybe many more above) but can feel it - it's pretty easy to reach once you know where it is.

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Dave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts