Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 CR-V with16k miles. I have noticed on multiple occasions that what I believe is the fuel pump running in my car hours even days after being driven last. I first noticed it months ago after the car had sat in the garage for 3 days. The garage smelled like gas and there was a humming noise coming from the back underside of the car. It stopped once I started and turned the car off. It happened again a few weeks later although I didn’t smell gass this time. I took the car to the dealer where they said there was nothing wrong. Well it just happened again, this time within an hour of parking. My fear is that it could cause the car to catch fire while sitting in the garage below my two granddaughters bedrooms.

Has anyone had this happen with their car? If it isn’t the fuel pump, what could it be? There are no pumps or motors in the back of the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just found a prior post that this is normal. One of the normal sounds they don’t tell you about.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I heard the same noise coming from under mine. I did not smell gas. I have heard it twice. Both times I had not driven the car for hours.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After shutting off the engine, you may hear certain
noises coming from the vehicle. Here’s the lowdown:
• Noise from Under Vehicle: This noise is caused by
the vacuum pump inside the fuel evaporation
leakage check module (ELCM).
Depending on conditions, the pump will come on for
about 15 minutes about 5 to 10 hours after engine
shutoff. This noise is just normal vehicle operation
and don’t indicate a vehicle problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After shutting off the engine, you may hear certain
noises coming from the vehicle. Here’s the lowdown:
• Noise from Under Vehicle: This noise is caused by
the vacuum pump inside the fuel evaporation
leakage check module (ELCM).
Depending on conditions, the pump will come on for
about 15 minutes about 5 to 10 hours after engine
shutoff. This noise is just normal vehicle operation
and don’t indicate a vehicle problem.
This is good information but why would his come on several days after engine shut off?
The exact thing has occurred with my 2019 CR-V after being parked for several days. My vehicle is new having only 1000 miles. The dealer is unable to replicate the issue.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
This is good information but why would his come on several days after engine shut off?
The exact thing has occurred with my 2019 CR-V after being parked for several days. My vehicle is new having only 1000 miles. The dealer is unable to replicate the issue.
The leak check system comes on randomly... and can happen multiple times between driving if you have your vehicle parked for days, depending on conditions. Certain conditions will trigger it.... most often the amount of fuel actually in the tank I believe ... but it's bascially an emissions control mechanism. My guess is that it runs a random test, and if specfic conditions of the test are met, it does performs the cycle. If conditions are not met.. it never starts the pump and just goes back to sleep.

I have gone as long as a week and not seen it trigger on my 2017 CRV. I have a battery monitor on the CRV with a data logging feature and I can clearly see when the purge system comes on ... as it draw several amps and will pull down the battery voltage accordingly for the time it is on. Generally seems to run about 20 minutes, then goes back to sleep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The leak check system comes on randomly... and can happen multiple times between driving if you have your vehicle parked for days, depending on conditions. Certain conditions will trigger it.... most often the amount of fuel actually in the tank I believe ... but it's bascially an emissions control mechanism. My guess is that it runs a random test, and if specfic conditions of the test are met, it does performs the cycle. If conditions are not met.. it never starts the pump and just goes back to sleep.

I have gone as long as a week and not seen it trigger on my 2017 CRV. I have a battery monitor on the CRV with a data logging feature and I can clearly see when the purge system comes on ... as it draw several amps and will pull down the battery voltage accordingly for the time it is on. Generally seems to run about 20 minutes, then goes back to sleep.
Excellent information! Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts