Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the Fuel Range Estimator my 2008 CRV has been dropping rather quickly. I started the car and the range said 125 miles, my commute to home is 5 minutes tops. When I got home it said 110 miles. The same occured yesterday. It seems to drive okay--maybe a little rough, but it could be my imagination, since I dont know if something is wrong. I wondered if it could be electrical as the heated seat on the passenger side is not working.

My car has 20K and I had a state inspection and oil change yesterday--no problems were noted. (The problem occured before the oil change).

Does it sound like anything major? Any relation to the seat heater not working?
Thanks, IvyB.

·
Registered
93 Posts
well, most range estimators do that if you make short 5 minute trips. i bet if you make a highway trip anywhere it will do the thing where you drive for 5 continuous miles and it says 110 miles 'til empty, or better yet, your range might start increasing. Dad always jokes that his truck is making gas and he's gonna be rich (lame, i know)

·
Registered
687 Posts
The range typically matches your average fuel economy and the level in your fuel tank. If your range dropped significantly, then it's likely yoru mileage dropped dramatically.

Its' easy to underestimate how much your fuel economy drops in cold weather. In the -5F - 10F range, the engine stays in a cold start/run mode for several minutes. There's also a lot of energy lost jsut heating up the engine block and transmission from the low ambient temperature to around 150F. How much gasoline do you think it takes just to heat up about 400lbs of aluminium, steel, coolant and oil?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts