Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel range way below advertized? 2019 CRV touring awd

9K views 53 replies 33 participants last post by  mikekellar 
#1 ·
Been driving my crv for 20,000 kms now and I've noticed the range of the tank is just too low. Getting about 500kms (310miles) per tank compared to the advertized 700 kms (440miles) on highway driving. Granted I drive on the highway occasionally but a conservative driver nevertheless (graduale acceleration, limited HVAC use). What range are others getting?

#2 ·
Highway mileage for my 2014 is about 29 MPG, which means 430 miles.
I checked the information on fuelly.com for 2019 CR-Vs:

29 MPG is the most common mileage people are getting, and also what the largest number of owners are getting.

First question is how are you calculating your fuel mileage?
You say "per tank" but I know you are not driving until you run out of gas, so are you tracking the miles/kms driven between fill ups and how many gallons/liters of fuel you put in the tank?

#40 ·
That's about where mine is (28.3) after just under 9,000 miles of mostly non-highway driving. Based on calculations I have made using the Trip A or Trip B for various fills, I think it's pretty close. I have noticed that on the highway it gets what is quite typical I think for a turbo engine. Meaning it gets in the mid-30's so long as you stay under 70 mph. As you go faster it drops like a rock. At 80 it's more like 28. When it's down to 1/4 tank (or so, hard to get an accurate reading on that gauge), I can just get 10 gallons in it.

#11 · (Edited)
I’m thinking the key word is “occasionally”........when “driving on the highway occasionally” you can not expect to get posted highway mpg numbers.

Just the opposite......some claim 28-30 mpg in town. Driving a steady 60 mph on a divided 4+ lane loop inside the city limits ain’t city driving.

#12 · (Edited)
Does anyone still use an actual mathematical method anymore? Like, number of miles driven divided by number of gallons added?

Do most of you find the listed capacity of 14 gallons is accurate, or can it be topped off more than that? I know topping it off too much can mess up the charcoal canister in some cars. In my 2013 Rogue that I'm trading in, the listed capacity is 15.9, but when I'm down to E I can routinely fill it with 17 or maybe slightly more. Once I put in 17.523 without overflowing it. This was on a pump without those holes in the end to have excess fumes go back into the pump, so I'm reasonably certain it all went into the car's tank.

#19 ·
Do most of you find the listed capacity of 14 gallons is accurate, or can it be topped off more than that?
In 110 fill-ups, the most I put in was 11.8 gallons using the pumps' shut offs. I have never gone below 0 miles left in spite of theoretically having 2+ gallons in the tank. Posts in past threads had people complaining about running out of gas when there should be a fair amount left. I concluded that even though there may be 14 gallons in the tank, I shouldn't assume I can use them all.

The car seems to think it has a ~12.5 gallon tank based on how many gallons I put in plus how many gallons it thinks it has available (= range remaining/computer MPG for that tank). [low of 11.8, high of 14.3, mean of 12.5]

Life-of-the-car calculated MPG is currently 32.3 over 33,500 miles. About 75% of the miles were road trips, the rest around-town. It is the most fuel efficient car I've ever owned. It's a 2017 AWD EX-L, never use Eco mode.

#13 · (Edited)
I did the miles driven divided the gallons pumped thing for about 6 months. The dash display was at most ,6 mpg happier than the manual calculation so I’ve called it good enough for the past 21 months.

I’ve never put more than 7 gallons in to fill up. On a road trip, my bladder won’t go longer than 7 gallons. While driving, I sleep better knowing the needle is closer to F than E.?

#14 ·
I live about 5 miles from town and drive back and forth once or twice a day. There may be an occasional out of town trip in there and I'm avg 30 mpg. Road trip to Pitt. recently and got avg of 33 mpg on each of 3 tanks I used. Also, this was in some mountainous driving and w/o using ECON mode.

#15 · (Edited)
I have always tracked my mileage using actual fuel put into the tank divided into miles driven since the last fill up.
I enter the numbers at fuelly.com. You can see the results in my signature.

Over the past year I haven't been driving much at all. A couple of times a week the 18 or so mile roundtrip into town, and twice a month a longer trip to meet with friends for lunch which varies since we try to find a different place each time, and once a month a 95 mile round trip on the highway.

#16 ·
You have to keep in mind that the type of driving you do (ie: freeway vs in town), as well as road conditions, traffic conditions, tire condition, fuel blend (there are many different fuel blends across north america), and driving style ALL factor into your realized MPG. As for the estimated distance after filling the tank.. that is very much just an estimate, so i would not get too attached to it... calculate based on gallons added to the tank and divide that by the miles driven since the last tank fill.

As someone who drives about 90% in town, urban, congested, short trip driving... I average about 22 mpg on my 2017 CRV. It has been very consistent. Note: I drive with ECO off.. always.

On a proportional basis compared to my old gen3 CRV .. it is very similar in results (EPA city mpg, vs actual).... meaning that I get the same % below EPA city rated mpg on my gen5 as I did on my gen3. Which is what I would expect since the driving conditions are essentially identical. Of course the gen5 does better in pure mpg because it is more fuel efficient, which is why I did a proporational comparison of historic mpg on my gen3 vs my new gen5.

One last thing to add is the gen5 CRV drives differently in terms of acceleration from stop. And I found out early on that easing into the pedal does not provide the best fuel economy results for in town driving. What I learned is that with the 1.5T engine.. you want to actually do something counter-intuitive... and lean into the accelerator more.. with the goal of getting past 25 mph as fast as you can, and then ease way back on the throttle. This gives me the best performance from a stop and it also improves mpg about 1-2 mpg from my experience. The reasons for this is all in how the CVT is tuned, and how and when the turbo engages.

#22 ·
Dayum! 40+ mpg........that’s 7+ mpg better than the epa numbers on the MSRP window sticker, that are seldom reached in reality.

#23 ·
Actually hit 45 mpg for awhile till I thought of taking a pic. For the rest of my 300 mile trip I went on a faster speedway, and did notice from that point on the mpg would drop with increasing speed. I've got the 2WD 1.5t LX. If I recall was using 0% ethanol gas which should also help.

#28 ·
I think most of us have seen 40-45 mpg...................for a short period/out of the ordinary conditions.

#30 ·
Over a lifetime, I wonder how much time is spent multiple clicking??‍♂

#31 ·
I pull all the way up on the nozzle handle until it clicks off the first time, and then pull it just enough to have more gasoline flow into the tank and when it clicks off the second time I stop.

I checked my fuelly records, and other than two that were clearly entered incorrectly, I have one just a hair over 14 gallons, three at just over 13 gallons, and eight fillups that were between 12 3/4 and 13 gallons.

#34 ·
I have a 2018 Touring AWD. Mostly fill up when less than quarter of a tank. Pull the pump handle to max flow, at shut off round up to the next 5 cents. Use top tier fuel only, 85 octane (due to altitude in Abq) , never use econ mode, drive mostly in town, up & down some hills. I always calculate mileage at each fill-up and enter on a spreadsheet. I'm just shy of 11,000 miles and have averaged 27.6 mpg. On 2 occasions the V's computer quit calculating mileage due to low fuel. Both times only 12.2 gallons was purchased.

#42 ·
I also have a 2018 CRV EX-L AWD and live in El Paso TX at about 3600ft above sea level. The manual said use Octane 87 regular but can't find it here. Regular gas 86 octane -top tier is what I use. My full tank reads at 363 range and avg 28 mpg. I've always felt this was below Honda's MPG mark. I also am filling the tank with only 12 gallon. I come to realize this car has a small tank and the engine can go into turbo mode "anytime" when accelerating andthis definitely will eat more gas. While I still think the Honda mileage claim may be attainable. In the real world there is simply too many variants that can affect 1.5 turbo CRV. My mileage seems to be constant no matter what I do after 6 months & 8000 miles. Upgrading the fuel to a higher octane may help since I am using a lower octane but I choose not to go there...yet!

#37 ·
I have a new 2019 exl and regularly check my mileage by gallons in and miles traveled. Everytime it's really really close to the shown mpg. I have not reset the B mileage since new. I have just less than 12,000 miles on the CRV and my average mpg is 31.8. Great I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.