Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Been driving my crv for 20,000 kms now and I've noticed the range of the tank is just too low. Getting about 500kms (310miles) per tank compared to the advertized 700 kms (440miles) on highway driving. Granted I drive on the highway occasionally but a conservative driver nevertheless (graduale acceleration, limited HVAC use). What range are others getting?
Mine varies a lot! On a long trip in the summer, I get 34 - 36 MPG (54 - 57 kilometers). Around town and highway combined is about 27 MPG. When the weather gets cold, like 2C. or below, the combined mileage drops to 22 - 23 (about 10.5 K). I have a 2018 and haven't had it on a highway only trip in the cold weather yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Touring AWD. Mostly fill up when less than quarter of a tank. Pull the pump handle to max flow, at shut off round up to the next 5 cents. Use top tier fuel only, 85 octane (due to altitude in Abq) , never use econ mode, drive mostly in town, up & down some hills. I always calculate mileage at each fill-up and enter on a spreadsheet. I'm just shy of 11,000 miles and have averaged 27.6 mpg. On 2 occasions the V's computer quit calculating mileage due to low fuel. Both times only 12.2 gallons was purchased.
I also have a 2018 CRV EX-L AWD and live in El Paso TX at about 3600ft above sea level. The manual said use Octane 87 regular but can't find it here. Regular gas 86 octane -top tier is what I use. My full tank reads at 363 range and avg 28 mpg. I've always felt this was below Honda's MPG mark. I also am filling the tank with only 12 gallon. I come to realize this car has a small tank and the engine can go into turbo mode "anytime" when accelerating andthis definitely will eat more gas. While I still think the Honda mileage claim may be attainable. In the real world there is simply too many variants that can affect 1.5 turbo CRV. My mileage seems to be constant no matter what I do after 6 months & 8000 miles. Upgrading the fuel to a higher octane may help since I am using a lower octane but I choose not to go there...yet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have a 2015 CRV EX and driving on a flat terrain vs hilly or mountainous made a huge difference.
highway mileage for mountains is 27-28 @ 65mph and flat terrain is 34-35 @65mph, 31 @72mph.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been driving my crv for 20,000 kms now and I've noticed the range of the tank is just too low. Getting about 500kms (310miles) per tank compared to the advertized 700 kms (440miles) on highway driving. Granted I drive on the highway occasionally but a conservative driver nevertheless (graduale acceleration, limited HVAC use). What range are others getting?
I went on a 300 mile trip Monday and returned yesterday (2019 CRV EX-L with 6000 miles). I got 32.8 MPG going (westbound) and 36.6 MPG returning (eastbound). I figured I had a little headwind going and a tailwind returning. Other than very short stop and go trips, I always get at least 30 MPG. By the way, I have compared the indicated readings with my own (dividing miles by gallons). The indicated readings were usually high by at most 1 MPG. As someone says, that is close enough. And, unless one is very careful and repetitive when filling his tank, the calculation method may be off a little too. Typically, after a fillup, the car indicates I have a little more than 400 miles range in the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone still use an actual mathematical method anymore? Like, number of miles driven divided by number of gallons added?

Do most of you find the listed capacity of 14 gallons is accurate, or can it be topped off more than that? I know topping it off too much can mess up the charcoal canister in some cars. In my 2013 Rogue that I'm trading in, the listed capacity is 15.9, but when I'm down to E I can routinely fill it with 17 or maybe slightly more. Once I put in 17.523 without overflowing it. This was on a pump without those holes in the end to have excess fumes go back into the pump, so I'm reasonably certain it all went into the car's tank.
I'm pretty sure the tank is close to 15 gallons. When the mileage remaining indicator reaches zero you have a reserve. I've never been brave enough to test it very far but have driven about 15 miles after zero before refilling. If you want accurate mileage it's still necessary to manually calculate it. The best way is to do it over a few fill-ups. However, if you want your highway mileage you'll have to only calculate it during highway driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 EX-L reportedly has a 15 gal tank. Driving conservatively, in the city, the car tells me that I am getting 26-28 MPG. On highways, I get 28-31 MPG, which should be higher, but for traffic issues. Does anyone else notice how bad drivers are on our Interstates? The computer says that I can get 370 miles on a fill up. When this goes to near zero, I panic to fill up again, only to find that I have 3-4 gal still in the tank. That's another 100 miles. Very inaccurate. and stressful. I do calculate my MPGs on a calculator and it is near what the computers indicates. I have trouble calculating for the extra 100 miles. I recently drove a Nissan Rogue and it's computer constantly recalculated during a road trip. It said I got over 400 miles, with the same size tank, and I did. I comfortably filled up less often. Why can't Honda do this?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My 2018 EX-L reportedly has a 15 gal tank. Driving conservatively, in the city, the car tells me that I am getting 26-28 MPG. On highways, I get 28-31 MPG, which should be higher, but for traffic issues. Does anyone else notice how bad drivers are on our Interstates? The computer says that I can get 370 miles on a fill up. When this goes to near zero, I panic to fill up again, only to find that I have 3-4 gal still in the tank. That's another 100 miles. Very inaccurate. and stressful. I do calculate my MPGs on a calculator and it is near what the computers indicates. I have trouble calculating for the extra 100 miles. I recently drove a Nissan Rogue and it's computer constantly recalculated during a road trip. It said I got over 400 miles, with the same size tank, and I did. I comfortably filled up less often. Why can't Honda do this?
The gen5 CRV, in North America, is specified by Honda as a 14 gallon tank. You can cram a bit more in by over-filling the neck of the feed pipe to the tank as I think Honda specs 14 gallons as the actual tank capacity. Personally, with the new capless fuel systems rolling out on Hondas, I don't over-fill on my gen5 as I don't want any fuel slopping around near the fill port on a newly filled tank.

The low fuel indicator is calibrated by Honda to trigger when you are somewhere around 2.5-3 gallons remaining. Which means, depending on your driving conditions.. you have between 60 and 100 miles before zero fuel. IF you ever reach zero fuel.... you just killed your fuel pumping system and will spend big bucks to have it repaired (and it will not be covered by any warranty, as it is classified as neglect on the part of the driver).

NO vehicle manufacturer sets fuel low indicators without a 2-3 gallon buffer remaining in the tank. It would be crazy to do so, and even setting the trigger to one gallon remaining is nuts.. because sometimes someone does not notice until the trigger goes off and may actually be farther from a fuel station then the gallon remaining.

·
Registered
419 Posts
For those who get 35+mpg, you must have been driving maximum 60 mph on flat terrain. In the US where the speed limit on most interstate is 70 mph, doing 60 mph is dangerous. So I usually do 75 mph minimum, and with ethanol-mixed gas, my observed average MPG is around 31. Before the "fix" last year, I was observing 28 mpg. It is true that with the 1.5L engine, the faster you go, the much less mpg you're going to get.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm in one of those states that much of the interstate is 70 MPH.
I make a once monthly trip of about 90 miles on I-40 that is mostly marked as 70 MPH, but there's about 10 miles that is 65 MPH. It's a divided highway with two lanes in each direction, like this:

I try to do 60-65 MPH the entire trip. I spend most of my time in the right lane, and still overtake large semi trucks and then slow down and wait for an opportunity to pass them, because most of the idiots are in the left lane doing 80+.

It's true with pretty much any vehicle that the faster you drive the lower your fuel mileage is going to be.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For those who get 35+mpg, you must have been driving maximum 60 mph on flat terrain. In the US where the speed limit on most interstate is 70 mph, doing 60 mph is dangerous. So I usually do 75 mph minimum, and with ethanol-mixed gas, my observed average MPG is around 31. Before the "fix" last year, I was observing 28 mpg. It is true that with the 1.5L engine, the faster you go, the much less mpg you're going to get.
Nope.
Filled up in Kansas City and drove north to SW Iowa on rolling ground at 65-67 mph with three people on board.
2018 Touring FWD.

ALL vehicles get worse mileage above 65 mph due to pushing all that wind.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Can't help but notice that the OP dropped in several days ago, made two quick posts and disappeared. If she/he doesn't reappear, I think this thread will be closed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ah, mine is AWD, but I'm surprised to see that much of a penalty on mileage between FWD and AWD. Have no idea why the MPG is so inconsistent across the CRV line.

As for the faster you go, the less mpg you get, that is true but it seems with my CRV, there is a steeper drop off in MPG. Could be the poor aerodynamic, the tires etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What you may be seeing is the difference because of winter blended gasoline. I always notice a reduction in both cars that I own when using the inter blend of gas. Try to wait it out until winter is over and the summer blended fuel is back and I think you will see an increase on that total miles left to drive on your read out.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.