Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel tank size?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  racoon 
#1 ·
Im confused... 2019 CR-V EX 2wd
I got the gas meter really low (light came on, need was almost to E)
I filled up and got 10.9 gallons in... wondered how close I was to empty. I looked it up and it says the tank is 14 gal??
If this is true then something is wrong as I shouldve had 3 more gallons and no way should the light have come on.

#5 ·
So take it your local Honda dealer to have them fix it.
They will most likely tell you it's working fine, and is the expected behavior.
Then file a complaint with American Honda Motor Corp about the dealer's response, at which AHMC will probably side with the dealer.

Or...fill you tank when or before the light comes on, and enjoy your CR-V.

#7 ·
Supposedly it's to ensure the fuel pump stays submerged. Technically that fuel is usable but the gauge is calibrated to less capacity. This has been covered ad nauseum here which is probably why the lack of engagement with your ?.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Smart vehicle manufacturers DO NOT calibrate "E" to actual empty, or even close to empty on modern vehicles. They deliberately build a 2 to 3 gallon reserve into the fuel gauge readout.

Why? Because there are too many people like you StaticFX who will run well past the alert and then complain to Honda when you do actually run the tank dry and it destroys your fuel pumping system as it tries to pump air instead of fuel. Not to mention damage to your fuel injection system. NONE of which will be covered under the vehicle warranty either, and likely may cost thousands to repair.

Let me state it more plainly... Honda is protecting you from yourself. ;)

Now.. if you want to get all worked up about why Honda does not put a bigger fuel tank in the CRV.. have at it. But frankly with the fuel economy of the 1.5T engine and the fact that carrying more fuel around equals more dead weight to be pulled by the power train... you won't get very far on that either.

#11 ·
Speaking of lame.......have you given any thought to the engine temp gauge?

#13 ·
I wouldn’t call it dummy clip, but I use a 3” buckle extender......it’s awesome, especially this time of year wearing a jacket. Yes, it does “trick” (turns off) the warning chime.?

#14 ·
Yes, I've seen both dummy clips and 3" extenders. The cheap extenders on ebay are dangerous, and they come with a disclaimer stating they are only to be used when driving under 10 mph. Quality extenders that actually meet safety standards are available, but they're not as easy to find, especially the 3" version. The dealer sells longer ones, but they're way too ugly and cumbersome to be practical for people who don't really need an extender of that length. Likely, car manufacturers probably want to discourage people from using extenders for the purpose of bypassing the warning chime. Anyway, sorry to thread hijack. Back to fuel capacity.......

#15 ·
Got ours from Seatbelt Extender Pros. Gen 5 CRV model specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.