Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure any one noticed this issue. The topless cap could not seal the fuel tank properly. Last week I was out of town and parked my CRV in my garage, the CRV was the only vehicle in the garage.The garage door kept closed for a week. When I went home and got into the garage, there's very strong gasoline smell. I moved the CRV to outside for a few hours, the smell was gone. This never happened with my other vehicles, like Honda Pilot, Toyota Camry.

The topless cap was a new design, but poor desiged.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure any one noticed this issue. The topless cap could not seal the fuel tank properly. Last week I was out of town and parked my CRV in my garage, the CRV was the only vehicle in the garage.The garage door kept closed for a week. When I went home and got into the garage, there's very strong gasoline smell. I moved the CRV to outside for a few hours, the smell was gone. This never happened with my other vehicles, like Honda Pilot, Toyota Camry.

The topless cap was a new design, but poor desiged.
The capless fuel filler from Honda started back on the 2016 Civic, 2016 Pilot, and then the 2017 Ridgeline before the CR-V was launched, so it isn't exactly new. If you think that your capless fuel filler cover isn't functioning properly on your CR-V, then take it in for service at a Honda dealership. This is what your warranty is for :).

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my CRV inspected by dealer, they said it was not the issue in recall. They didn't find anything else unusual. They agreed the seal of this cap design might not as good as traditional one. Their suggestion is to put a piece of rubber on the cap next time I'm on vacation, but don't forget to remove it before driving. Not a good solution, but it may work.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
In my crv when i fill it up there always seems to be some dripping from the nozzle when it remove it.
Assuming its not closing like a traditional setup maybe yours just had some in there also sat and that was the smell?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I gotta ask- what is the point of these anyway? It seems like a very pointless feature. Gas caps have worked fine for some time, can't remember ever having a problem with one.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,187 Posts
I had my CRV inspected by dealer, they said it was not the issue in recall. They didn't find anything else unusual. They agreed the seal of this cap design might not as good as traditional one. Their suggestion is to put a piece of rubber on the cap next time I'm on vacation, but don't forget to remove it before driving. Not a good solution, but it may work.
A bad sealing filler valve will show up with a check engine alarm. The smell of fuel may be coming from somewhere else.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L AWD, Built in Ohio.
229 Posts
True if the cap-less seal was bad you would see the Check engine light. I have noticed if I over fill the tank that is when my garage smells like a gassy mess. I had the same basic issue with my 2015 CRV as well.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,187 Posts
True if the cap-less seal was bad you would see the Check engine light. I have noticed if I over fill the tank that is when my garage smells like a gassy mess. I had the same basic issue with my 2015 CRV as well.
Yes that will happen, also if you pull the nozzle out right after the pump shuts off you can create a similar problem.
The first door, outer door, the nozzle passes thru is just a dust cover and is not vapor tight. The actual valve is about 1.5 inches behind the dust cover. If you over fill or pull the nozzle out to soon, you end up with fuel trapped between the dust cover and main valve. This is not a problem if you fill up at the beginning of a drive, it will evaporate. But if you fill up just before parking in your garage, it will evaporate in the garage resulting in major complaints from the wife.

My opinion is that a capless fuel valve is a solution looking for a problem. It doesn't really solve anything but when it fails it's way expensive to replace verses a $5.00 gas cap. Also damaged fuel nozzles can and have gotten stuck in the valves.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Maybe that is why the Russian and Australian versions of the 2018 CR-V have regular gas caps.
I was told by a forum member that the CR-V with a cap less cover could not pass their regulation tests.

Rob

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I gotta ask- what is the point of these anyway? It seems like a very pointless feature. Gas caps have worked fine for some time, can't remember ever having a problem with one.
Hondas had alot of dash light issues with caps not being snapped on properly.
I never had them on past hondas but mom had on her element and brother on his accord.
Capless is nice also for us in nj since lazy messes have to pump your gas and drop the cap against the paint (even with the holder 1” away)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Maybe that is why the Russian and Australian versions of the 2018 CR-V have regular gas caps.
I was told by a forum member that the CR-V with a cap less cover could not pass their regulation tests.

Rob
Do they have same capacity as ours since they are third row?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes that will happen, also if you pull the nozzle out right after the pump shuts off you can create a similar problem.
The first door, outer door, the nozzle passes thru is just a dust cover and is not vapor tight. The actual valve is about 1.5 inches behind the dust cover. If you over fill or pull the nozzle out to soon, you end up with fuel trapped between the dust cover and main valve. This is not a problem if you fill up at the beginning of a drive, it will evaporate. But if you fill up just before parking in your garage, it will evaporate in the garage resulting in major complaints from the wife.

My opinion is that a capless fuel valve is a solution looking for a problem. It doesn't really solve anything but when it fails it's way expensive to replace verses a $5.00 gas cap. Also damaged fuel nozzles can and have gotten stuck in the valves.
I noticed inside the fuel door there is a statement recommending to wait 5 seconds after the pump stops before removing the pump. This must be why.

I also make it a point to place my hand under the pump as I pull it out, as leaked gas corroded the paint finish on my previous car :)

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,636 Posts
Honda tests and tests and tests items so many times its crazy. You can rest assured that the cap-less fill tube is safe and reliable.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Do they have same capacity as ours since they are third row?
These are 5 seat versions. If a country has a regulation the change is going to done all Trim levels, from the least expensive to the most. The only thing I can see in common with both countries are that they both have some pretty extreme winters. It's possible that the cap less cover has problems with super extreme cold like up in Siberia or the Northern parts of Canada.

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
2017 Cr V Lx, approx 14,500 miles, Canada built:I just brought my 17 V in for a bad gas odor inside the vehicle after filling up numerous times. I was told that they could not detect a smell after pressuring the tank. As usual I left with no answers and I got into my car at the service center and to my surprise the car smelled of gas, but they just said they didn’t find anything! I love Honda, but I really am losing my love affair with them. I bought this one and now I have buyers remorse. Btw why is the tank so small? I live at the pump. It’s a nice little cuteute, but that is the first of many problems/complaints I have with this vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here in Australia when I puchased my CR-V I thought it would come with the capless fuel filler but no we still have old cap system, on questioning my dealer as to why, he explained that it didnt meet Australian standards/guidelines due to the Australian climate being so hot and so cold and the expansion and contraction of the tank that the seal wasnt guaranteed not suck in dust which would be detrimental to the fuel system (which I can understand with all the dust out here). Whether what he is saying is true or not I dont know but it sounds logical.

·
Registered
141 Posts
2017 Cr V Lx, approx 14,500 miles, Canada built:I just brought my 17 V in for a bad gas odor inside the vehicle after filling up numerous times. I was told that they could not detect a smell after pressuring the tank. As usual I left with no answers and I got into my car at the service center and to my surprise the car smelled of gas, but they just said they didn’t find anything! I love Honda, but I really am losing my love affair with them. I bought this one and now I have buyers remorse. Btw why is the tank so small? I live at the pump. It’s a nice little cuteute, but that is the first of many problems/complaints I have with this vehicle.

When did you buy your CR-V? There is a recall for the Rear Fuel Feed Pipe Leaks in the engine bay. Check here for more info: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/AH/A17-062/enu/A17-062.PDF

1 - 20 of 21 Posts