Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4th gen 2012 CR-V, I was wondering if anyone has installed a regular full size spare, in place of the temp spare?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,036 Posts
Wouldn't thickness of the full sized spare prevent the cargo compartment floor from lying flat?

Remove a tire, then put it in the spare tire well to see...

(It is always wise to 'practice' tire changing periodically anyway. You won't want to learn how on a dark, busy highway!)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have a full size in my previous 2013 and my current 2016.
I cut 2x2 to boarder the tire well area on all 4 sides and placed the lift lid on top of the 2x2's that are velco'ed onto the trunk area.
no issues as the trunk mat is just a little higher than it was before the full sized spare.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 4th gen 2012 CR-V, I was wondering if anyone has installed a regular full size spare, in place of the temp spare?
Don't worry about discussions or measuring, just take off a regular wheel and you will find that it fits in the spare compartment on the 2019 crv.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a full size in my previous 2013 and my current 2016.
I cut 2x2 to boarder the tire well area on all 4 sides and placed the lift lid on top of the 2x2's that are velco'ed onto the trunk area.
no issues as the trunk mat is just a little higher than it was before the full sized spare.

Thanks, I will try this, I would love to have a real spare, not a temporary, what does that mean anyway?

·
Registered
154 Posts
^^^ A 'real' spare tire is a normal, everyday tire that can be run for thousands of miles. The temporary spares that cars have been equipped with for decades are not intended for long-term (or even high-speed) use, so they are smaller and lighter.

Personally, I would not worry about having a temporary spare tire.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks, I will try this, I would love to have a real spare, not a temporary, what does that mean anyway?
Unless the full size spare is the same tire (brand & model) as your other four and you include it your regular rotation, it should be considered as "temporary" also. You don't want to run mismatched tires - be it brand, model or wear - on a regular basis. Sure, you can probably take the full size spare up it up to highway speed, which you shouldn't do with a donut spare, but you'll be safer with a matched set. Again, matched includes wear.

I don't know how old you are, but back in the days when full size spares were the norm, a 5 tire rotation pattern was often used. Jeeps and other vehicles that are used off road still do that.

See here:

·
Everything in Moderation
8,036 Posts
The only reason they recommend a 50mph max speed with a 'donut' spare is that the handling is different, it could surprise the driver. <---Sez the lawyers

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only reason they recommend a 50mph max speed with a 'donut' spare is that the handling is different, it could surprise the driver. <---Sez the lawyers
Which is exactly the same problem as having a full size spare that doesn't match the other four. It won't be as bad as a donut as far as handling (at least the size is the same) but an unmatched full size spare should still be considered as temporary.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try one of my full size tires in the spare location, at my next tire rotation, I found a wheel for $125, maybe I'll look at used

·
Registered
470 Posts
When was the last time you ever had a flat tire? Its seems to be a rare occurrence anymore.

For me it was in 2008 when we bought our 2009 Honda CRV. We only got 5 miles from the dealer when we noticed something was very wrong. The dealer brought out a new tire & wheel, put it on and drove the CRV back to the service bay, where they told us that somehow the servicing technician damaged the valve or stem while he was preparing the car for our pickup. They bought us lunch for our troubles and had the CRV washed again before allowing us to leave.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It happened to us in our Civic on our way from Ventura to Phoenix, we were 150 miles from Ventura, we had to stop and buy a new tire, because the mini spare wouldn't make it there, we had had 2 on our Dodge truck with a heavy camper on it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts