Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - wondering if I could get some feedback from diesel CR-V owners in the UK. Looking to buy very soon - 06 or 56 plate - with under 30,000 miles.

1. What's the loading space like with the rear seats down? Does anyone use theirs for construction site work?
2. Handling - what does this compare to? I've heard it's very firm - but I like this - I'm used to driving firmer suspension "warm-hatches".
3. Are there any problems I should look out for when looking at a model? I'd hate to get one JUST out of warranty, get it home and find out there's bits that should have been fixed.

Thanks everyone
Adam

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ive had mine fronm new, 18 months and 23,000 miles.

1. Load space ive found to be excellent. I moved house with mine, and all I couldnt fit was a bed and double wardrobe.
2. Handling - excellent. very little body roll and good grip. Its no sports car but consiering its an SUV its a good drive. Just for reference my last two cars in comparison were a previous shape Civic type R and current shape 325i.
3. For known issues have a search on the site, but 3 spring to mind - some cars have a pulling to the left issue. I think there is a fix with modified suspension parts which is done under warranty. Second is the clutch pedal - they tend to click and creak - personally mine does this but works perfectly well. Thirdly, people complin that the interior wears and marks easily. I have the auto glym life shine which was an option at new and Ive found the interior has stood pretty well to 3 kids and numerous trips to the dump. Worth bearing in mind if you intent to use it for construction equipment. Mine has a "Lifeshine"sticker on the windscreen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've only had mine for 20 days (just over 500 miles)

1) Magazine reviews moan about it being compromised because the seats tumble rather than drop into the floor, but I've folded them down and it looks massive to me.

2) Okay its not a sports car, but hey I'm impressed, and my previous car was a Saab 9-5 Aero (which is the sporty model with over 200bhp)

3) Hopefully none, clutch pedal creaks a bit but I've seen this on many cars before. The only minor thing is wind noise, I notice it because the Saab was so quiet, it seems worse in crosswinds.

Vince

·
Registered
164 Posts
On an 06 or 56 plate I guess you're looking at one of the last Mk2 CR-V's? Probably good to confirm as you're likely to get a different set of replies. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On an 06 or 56 plate I guess you're looking at one of the last Mk2 CR-V's? Probably good to confirm as you're likely to get a different set of replies. ;)
Yes it is a MK2 CR-V I'm looking at - when the diesel was 1st introduced.

I have driven the MK3... and as much as I hated giving the keys back... it's too nice for what I wanna use it for!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Adam,

I have an 04 Petrol so can give you some feedback on the car, if not the engine. Have owned the car from new and it currently has around 43K on the clock.

I think the loading space is excellent. I don't us it for work but I'm a serious mountain biker and have packed huge amounts of gear in the back. To be honest I don't have to drop the seats on a regular basis as the regular boot is a great size.

I don't find the ride too firm but I've been used to Type-R Honda's and various other sport orientated metal. Handling is pretty good but you need to be aware of the extra height and rather skinny tyres.

In 5 years I've had two problems; the 'clicking clutch pedal' noted elsewhere on the forum and a failed O2 sensor last year. It has never failed to start, go, or stop.

I'm way overdue replacing the CR-V. Usually keep a car for maximum 3 years. Can't bring myself to sell it. I put a private plate on it instead :cool:

HTH.....NDJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks NDJ,
At the end of the day every car has it's little niggles and problems!

I did notice the skinny tyres already! Was thinking about 225's at least...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi,

I own a 2005 diesel CR-V that has now 112.000km (~70K miles).

1) Loading space is really good. It's pretty similar to the Mk3 anyway. I do carry from time to time a stere of wood ... no issue ;)
As other said before, the rear seats do fold down but you can remove them completely (a few screws to unscrew) if you require even more space ;)
2) Handling ... not that firm but it has some body roll (more than the Mk3). It's not a sports car :rolleyes: But traction is really good.
3) Not too many problems with this model ... just check that the car doesn't pull to the left or to the right and that you don't have vibrations in the steering wheel at highway speed or when you are braking (some owners have had recurring wrapped rotors issue).

Very good car anyway ... cheap to run (I'm still on the original brake pads !).
If you buy a model without satnav, you might consider replacing the cheap OEM radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

I own a 2005 diesel CR-V that has now 112.000km (~70K miles).

1) Loading space is really good. It's pretty similar to the Mk3 anyway. I do carry from time to time a stere of wood ... no issue ;)
As other said before, the rear seats do fold down but you can remove them completely (a few screws to unscrew) if you require even more space ;)
2) Handling ... not that firm but it has some body roll (more than the Mk3). It's not a sports car :rolleyes: But traction is really good.
3) Not too many problems with this model ... just check that the car doesn't pull to the left or to the right and that you don't have vibrations in the steering wheel at highway speed or when you are braking (some owners have had recurring wrapped rotors issue).

Very good car anyway ... cheap to run (I'm still on the original brake pads !).
If you buy a model without satnav, you might consider replacing the cheap OEM radio.
Oh don't worry - decent CD mp3 player on the list!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an 06 version - diesel

1. I was disappointed with the load space with the seats down. They do not fold flat so inhibits the storage of large items. Also. there is a bit of buittressing which creates an hourglass shape. But load space with the seats up is great!

2. ride is firm but not harsh. It is much firmer on my civic. BUT when we testdrove it I did not test the seating at the back. The rear seats are much higher and therefo0re you get a wobblier/top-heavier drive at he back. Also, we often seat 3 at the back on the school run. Curve of the rear pillar means that it hits the side of the head of an adult sitting at the back. 3 at the back are more comfortabl ein my Civic.

3. They changed some fuel burner valve as part of a recall - part of the exhaust I think. A number of these were failing and Honda took a long time to admit this fault. Check that was done.

4. I really like my CR-V but I really, really, really hate the MPV style split rear seats. In order to allow the split seats to move backwards and forwards independently, thus allowing variable legroom/cargo space, the seat buckles stick out of the seats themselves. You end up sitting on the buckles which are uncomfortable and fiddly. This is one of those clever ideas on paper which don't actually work in practice. A straightforward bench seat would have been perfect.

5. The SatNav is crap. Don't be tempted to buy the exec model for the satnav. Buy an independent model satnav which can be tuned indoors and then stuck on the dash. This is a genreal problem with built in satnavs but I think the honda one is pretty crude. It does seem to favour some crazy routes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts