Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to finally put dashcams on both my vehicles. I bought the best rated one for a low price according to dashcamtalk. I have it setup so basically starts recording whenever the vehicle is turned on and stops recording once the vehicle is off. It keeps recording on 32gb sd card and overwrites the oldest files once it files up. I have it velcro'd on my OEM rear view mirror (that I have a Convex Broadway mirror over it) so its hidden and doesn't take up any space. Plus I can take it on and off and found it more stable than using its included suction cup mount. I have it wired to the fuse box so almost no wires are visible except 2" on wire.

Here is picture mounted to mirror.

Side Profile

Picture from what is seen outside. (Once I have time, I plan on taking a sharpie around the silver ring)

If anyone plans on buying this dashcam, be careful as their are a ton of fake knockoffs being sold online.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
577 Posts
I bought one for a little over $30. There are many cheaper ones too. Works great. Many selectable features. Even zoom. On-line. Direct from China. Where else?

Knock-off? From what? And if it is, so what? Don't need a genuine Leica in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought one for a little over $30. There are many cheaper ones too. Works great. Many selectable features. Even zoom. On-line. Direct from China. Where else?

Knock-off? From what? And if it is, so what? Don't need a genuine Leica in the car.
Cuz the reason why the G1W is one of the top rated for the price on dashcamtalk is the chipset. If you get a fake G1W it'll have the wrong chipset which defeats the purpose of buying an authentic G1W based off the review. If I am spending $50 on a dashcam, I might as well get the real one instead of a ****ty one regardless of price.

One you have picture is not a G1W. But their are many e-sellers selling G1W but are fake. Ton of threads on dashcamtalk...

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't care about chip-sets. If it does what I want it for, at a reasonable price, and I'm happy how it looks, that's what I want. Good pictures. Good construction. Easy to program. Good features. What else is there?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After getting a fake, counterfeit or what ever you want to call it GS1000 from this vendor and writing a bad review my money was refunded and they admitted that it was their fault.

I went looking for another one by a lot of Google search and found one that was not only fairly cheap and worked well, that is the D230 from szswill.com, delivery was fast, about 6 days.

It has a 2" in wide, easy to read screen and is easy to work. The videos are of good quality, you can read street signs and license plates and the night vision is very good. My videos look better than those seen in the review.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My brother went with a Chinese dashcam from group buy - http://www.szswill.com
Awaiting delivery and will post up some video The power magic pro is cool little device.... wonder if there are any similar products for comparison. Can't be too hard for someone who has a good understanding of electrical circuits to build on..

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have one question. Why a dash cam?
It can be used in court if someone cut you off, or if you witness an accident or crime, jut like the Police have on their Dash.

Also you can playback on your home computer and see where your kids have been driving and hear their conversation, get an idea of how reckless they drive, ect....

You never know, you might even get harassed by a cop and he may incriminate himself without knowing it!

Myself, I got one from China shipped for $22 and it's been reliable for over 2 years now, except the odd time, the suction cup does come loose and you find it dangling when you hop in your car. This seems to happen about 3 times a year, prob. due to temp change, but it's nothing to put back up.

I recommend everyone gets one of these, and as CyC pointed out the better the camera, the clearer the picture, so that depends on how much you wanna spend.

Good write up CyC. :cool:

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car Insurance Fraud. Not that I ever have gotten into an accident but more peace of mind. You can find a ton of car insurance fraud videos on youtube. Russia seems to be the place that most cars have them due to police corruption and car insurance fraud.

This website list pretty much points all the other reasons why.

http://cameras.reviewed.com/features/6-reasons-you-should-own-a-dashcam-2

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have an Itronics ITB-100HD in my CR-V, prior to that it was fitted to my 2003 XS Forester for about 12 months, good DVR despite being obsolete in the Itronics lineup nowadays.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have a GS8000, or something like that. About $30 from direct China. Can't imagine why I should spend more. Good picture. All kinds of selectable options. Fun to replay trips. Sound is not good, but I usually have the mike off anyway.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Did I mention my cheap ebay cam also takes pics, and the sound is good enough to hear conversations quiet clearly, in fact sometimes the wife likes to clear the SD card just to get rid of some of the conversations we have......

But at $20, the quality is a tad less than HD, even though they all claim to be HD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What circuit did you tap into? I've tried a bunch of fuses for items that should be ignition-switched (i.e. the accessory outlets) but whenever I stick my add-a-fuse in, it has 12V whether the key is on or not.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
The main reason I installed a dashcam was in case someone reversed into me and then claimed I went into the back of them (along with drafting up an army of witnesses).

I went for the Mini0801 which uses an excellent chipset with a high data rate and has good daytime and night quality, GPS etc. It's one of the smallest cameras on the market (at the time), uses a sticky pad for attaching to the windscreen and not a suction cup and a power cradle which the camera slots into so if you want to remove the camera you just slide it out - although I just leave it in all the time. There's probably better cameras on the market now but at sub-£100 this was a good deal.

I hardwired mine and also installed a Power Magic Pro because I want the camera running all the time. The Power Magic Pro will protect my battery as it will shut the camera off should the voltage reach a certain point but leave enough to start the car.

It's also worth using add-a-circuits so that you can wire it in non-invasively and protect your original car circuits. I've got a twin power point wired in as I plan to put another camera facing out the rear and it will just be a case of feeding the wires down to the front of the car and plugging in the cigarette lighter attachment to the twin port - no more wiring! :)

I've can't attach a tutorial I put together when fitting to my MPS6 because of the file size so will need to look at that but it's a similar process with the CR-V as it also uses low profile mini blade fuses.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Here is a video I recorded a while back when I was in Oregon.

Basically you can see the black SUV trying to turn into traffic. 2 teenage girls were riding their bikes on the sidewalk. Black SUV doesn't care to look and notice the 2 oncoming bike riders. You can see the 1st girl as she turns and nearly runs over the 2nd girl. Luckily the girl was alright and just had minor scraps. A few of us pull over to make sure she was ok and called her parents before we left.

I stayed for a bit waiting for the dad so I can get his email to send him the dashcam footage. He was very glad he saw the footage as the female driver in the Black SUV told a different story. Basically she blamed the two girls for not stopping and it was not her fault. The Dad was PISSED.

I have a ton of other things I have captured like road rage, people not looking at their blind spots, running red lights and many others occasions on my dashcam. I am still thinking about installing a rear dash cam but no real hidden way to install one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.