Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a gas station and my usual routine was to open my gas cap and do the pay-at-the-pump. It was hot today and for some reason, I cannot pay the pump and decided to go to the station store to pre-pay with the car wash option. Went back a second time to buy a cold drink and headed to the car, had sip of the drink and headed for the car wash. Once done, when I looked on the side view mirror saw that my gas cap was left open.:eek:

It was about 5 minutes of pre-soak, wash and spot-free rinse. Whatever got inside the gas tank, will this affect my fuel tank or performance?

I plan not to drive my car Sunday tomorrow and wait until Monday first hour to visit a dealership to have the gas drained. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I assume you drove the car home after the wash? If you did, and it ran OK, I'd just get a can of HEET or similar gas dryer/treatment to add to the tank. I doubt you got much contamination inside the tank as there is a flapper in the filler neck.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Was the gas cap actually off the filler neck or was the filler door just left open?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are worried run a couple of bottles of heet through the next few fill ups. You have to remember that the ethanol content in any gas has some higher percentages of water in it and I think your vehicle should be okay. I would put some fuel drying heet in the tank and try to run it as low as you can having a 5 gallon jug of fuel with funnel in the back before freezing temperatures set in soon.

What shall we have? An '82 Margaux! Is it any good? Good....?, It will make you believe in God!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.