Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any information available on what the gas consumption is for the 1.5T (both FWD and AWD) at different constant speeds. One of the official figures for gas consumption is specified as "highway", but the speed limit on a highway in the USA can be anything between 55 and 70 mph, which would make a significant difference in gas consumption.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Too many topographical variables to expect exact figures from whatever you read.

Drive with it set in ECON for the best fuel economy and don't gun it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Using my formula, driving in So Cal (it's very hilly where I reside), I am getting an average of 27-28 mpg per tank with mixed city/highway driving including having a loaded vehicle on work days. On the highway for vacation drives, I get 33-34 mpg out of a tank of gas, loaded down with my garb.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Flatland hwy, cruise set 75-80 mph legal speed limit, using a/c, 28-29 mpg. Farting around town 20-40 mph, stop-n-go, 25-26 mpg.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Is there any information available on what the gas consumption is for the 1.5T (both FWD and AWD) at different constant speeds. One of the official figures for gas consumption is specified as "highway", but the speed limit on a highway in the USA can be anything between 55 and 70 mph, which would make a significant difference in gas consumption.
There are actually places in the US where highway speed limits are 75 mph (AZ for one) and 80 mph (Texas) and even 85 on some toll roads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For comparison, the 1.5T engine in a different vehicle...

"If there was one drivetrain that deserves to be recognized for the best spread of performance and efficiency, I know of no other that would come close to the Honda 1.5T. It really is that good."

·
Registered
802 Posts
I live in the mountains and get 27 MPG 'around town' (lots of up and down).

When we take a trip, I drive at 87 MPH and get 24 MPG.

Better gas mileage than the Ridgeline or old Pilot.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Wind resistance is correlated to the velocity square. So if you go 10% faster, the force of the vehicle is 1.1 squared. 21% more resistance for going 10% faster.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wow, you guys drive fast! No wonder your HWY MPGs suck, lol!

I set my CC at 70 mph, sometimes 72 mph, to get max MPGs. I've experimented with higher speeds on the hwy and experienced the big drop in economy that others here have. The main reason I own my CRV is for it's capability of incredible fuel economy. As long as I drive it light on the gas pedal around town and at speeds no higher than the low 70 mph range, the savings in fuel actually pay for 50% of my car payment. in other words, my CRV's fuel bills are 50% lower than they were for my Nissan Frontier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Below the engine's sweet spot, you lose MPG... above the sweet spot, you lose MPG... also factor in aerodynamic drag. I love the 4th gen's MPG real time indicator... I can see how my speed changes the MPG -- making it easy to find where the sweet spot is.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Wow, you guys drive fast! No wonder your HWY MPGs suck, lol!

I set my CC at 70 mph, sometimes 72 mph, to get max MPGs. I've experimented with higher speeds on the hwy and experienced the big drop in economy that others here have. The main reason I own my CRV is for it's capability of incredible fuel economy. As long as I drive it light on the gas pedal around town and at speeds no higher than the low 70 mph range, the savings in fuel actually pay for 50% of my car payment. in other words, my CRV's fuel bills are 50% lower than they were for my Nissan Frontier.
This is where the instantaneous MPG view on the instrument cluster really shines. I can help you find the MPG sweet spots under different driving conditions as well as help you "retrain" your foot on the pedal as well. :)

After a couple months.. you and your CRV will be pretty well dialed in as team for fuel economy.. IF... you prefer fuel economy over performance driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haven't had the CR-V very long, but the one time I drove with the cruise control set to 70 mph, the accumulative gas mileage indicated came down from where it was driving around town, so speed must really matter. Based on the display, the vehicle gas mileage around town really shines however. Being light-footed on the gas pedal without Econ gets me 31 mpg while my wife gets more like 28 mpg. Our 2013 Accord did better on the highway, but I don't know how much it has to do with the aerodynamics vs the 1.5L engine on the CR-V. Just a rambling mind waiting for country-wide conditions to allow us to travel again.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Haven't had the CR-V very long, but the one time I drove with the cruise control set to 70 mph, the accumulative gas mileage indicated came down from where it was driving around town, so speed must really matter. Based on the display, the vehicle gas mileage around town really shines however. Being light-footed on the gas pedal without Econ gets me 31 mpg while my wife gets more like 28 mpg. Our 2013 Accord did better on the highway, but I don't know how much it has to do with the aerodynamics vs the 1.5L engine on the CR-V. Just a rambling mind waiting for country-wide conditions to allow us to travel again.
Current generation Accord gets +2 MPG city and +4 MPG highway compared to the CRV.

We have one of each in our garage, and I can confirm the above difference is accurate (on a relative basis, not on an absolute basis... since EPA numbers are generally optimistically controlled conditions).

So, yeah... the Accord, even though it's 1.5T is tuned a bit hotter than the CRV, gains the benefits of better areodynamics at highway speeds, and in town better road handling and FWD only gives it the nod. The in town driving could be largely better tires on the Accord vs the CRV.. even though the tires on both are Hankooks.

Interestingly, both our Accord and our CRV have Hankook tires on them, but the Accord Hankooks are superior to the SUV rated Hankooks on the CRV. The Accords Hankooks are actually performance rated tires as well as all weather rated, and low profile design .. whereas the CRVs Hankooks are NOT performance rated and are pretty much standard bulky SUV tires.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Dayum! 6 mpg better than the optimistic EPA highway number. Amazing. Double dayum!.......31 mpg city 😳, I must be doing something wrong.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts