Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is there any information available on what the gas consumption is for the 1.5T (both FWD and AWD) at different constant speeds. One of the official figures for gas consumption is specified as "highway", but the speed limit on a highway in the USA can be anything between 55 and 70 mph, which would make a significant difference in gas consumption.
if you are looking for the most efficient speed get a vacuum gauge, sometimes called a fuel economy gauge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there any information available on what the gas consumption is for the 1.5T (both FWD and AWD) at different constant speeds. One of the official figures for gas consumption is specified as "highway", but the speed limit on a highway in the USA can be anything between 55 and 70 mph, which would make a significant difference in gas consumption.
While topography is a factor, driving habits make a bigger diff, IMO. I drive very conservatively in ECON mode. I coast a lot when I see upcoming red light or stop sign. My best driving under 55 mile R/T is 38 mpg. BTW, I don't reset my mileage counter. My CRV is a 2014 Touring model with AWD.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run a lot of highway miles and generally get 33-34mph. It will vary sometimes 5-6mph depending on headwind or tailwind driving a little above speed limit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Science: Lowest speed at the top gear will give you the best fuel economy on level ground. That is the most distance travelled for the fewest BTUs produced by that fire-air pump we call an engine. As soon as you hear the engine shift into it's highest gear, mark that speed.
Well, this was one theory; however, there is a sweet spot where the engine produces optimum energy vs mechanical resistance and aerodynamic drag. Below or above that, the engine is working harder. Most of the time, this is ~1800 - 2000 RPM. Look at the real time mileage indicator and it will tell you where the sweet spot is ;)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Well, this was one theory; however, there is a sweet spot where the engine produces optimum energy vs mechanical resistance and aerodynamic drag. Below or above that, the engine is working harder. Most of the time, this is ~1800 - 2000 RPM. Look at the real time mileage indicator and it will tell you where the sweet spot is ;)
(y) (y) :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I generally get 32 to 33.5 on my 1.5T AWD combined city and hwy. I do notice if I am consistently 65-70 that drops to upper 20's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The sweet spot for max mpg on the highway on my 2018 Touring seems to be 65-68 mph.

I've gotten 40 mpg lots of time on gently rolling to hilly terrain.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
I did get 38.9 from NC to NJ a few years ago doing the speed limits all the way.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've noticed that I get worse gas mileage while highway driving with cruise control set - likely because it tends to rev as needed to maintain the selected speed on big hills or to get back up to speed after the the ACC has slowed down for traffic. Without cruise control I use smooth and constant pressure on the accelerator - which can cause the speed to vary in hilly areas - to typically get better gas mileage than with cruise control. Anyone else notice this?
For sure. I also get 1-2 mpg better feathering the throttle with my foot as opposed to the cruise. Makes sense. The CC tries to hold an exact speed and causes downshifts to do it. It also hits the brakes here and there rather than let off and decelerate as you and I would do, which saves gas.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I really like the ACC.......allows me to drive relatively safely while playing air drums at 80mph, listening to channel 26. 1-2 mpg?.......maybe, maybe not.🤷‍♂️ Not exactly break the bank high finance. Rock on.👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2017 CR-V AWD Touring w/ 26,000 miles and at 70 mph I can reliably get 33mpg. Any variations such as
a headwind or lots of hills can noticeably reduce this. At lower speeds, it will increase one or 2mpg. I hope this is
helpful. As a footnote, I would like to add that I have a 2008 CR-V fwd w/177,000 miles and it was rated at 27mpg.
It under the same conditions will still reliably get over 30mpg. That is why we still have this one, it's just unbeatable!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Too many topographical variables to expect exact figures from whatever you read.

Drive with it set in ECON for the best fuel economy and don't gun it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Using my formula, driving in So Cal (it's very hilly where I reside), I am getting an average of 27-28 mpg per tank with mixed city/highway driving including having a loaded vehicle on work days. On the highway for vacation drives, I get 33-34 mpg out of a tank of gas, loaded down with my garb.
I use to get those numbers before they did the oil dilution fix. Now I get 28 highway and 26 combined.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I really like the ACC.......allows me to drive relatively safely while playing air drums at 80mph, listening to channel 26. 1-2 mpg?.......maybe, maybe not.🤷‍♂️ Not exactly break the bank high finance. Rock on.👍
You play the air drums? I play a hell of an air guitar while I'm driving. Perhaps we should start a band? We could call it the Air Heads.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
You play the air drums? I play a hell of an air guitar while I'm driving. Perhaps we should start a band? We could call it the Air Heads.
Our 1st song.........Gittyup, gittyup 1.5.🎸

Sometimes I kill myself.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Sorry for the hijack.......we now return you to your regular scheduled program.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts