Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I noticed the smell of gas each time I got out of the car. The smell was strongest near the rear wheel well on the driver's side. The smell could go away when the car wasn't used for a while, but after driving it, it became fresh and apparent again.

I decided to check around the fuel pump, so I folded the rear seats, pulled up the black carpet, and removed the 3 screws holding the fuel pump cover on. As soon as the cover was off, I noticed some fuel on top of the plastic fuel pump, and figured it was coming from the connection where the fuel line connects to the pump. I lightly tugged on the line to be sure that it's being held securely, and while i was able to slide it slightly forward and backward, it didn't want to come off.

Not sure if the tube should move as it does on the spout, but I feel that this is the weak point and there's a problem - obviously, there shouldn't be any fuel coming out. I wiped it all up and put the cover back on, which seemed to fix the problem, as for a few weeks there was no longer a fuel smell. However, today, the smell has returned.

Curious to know if anyone here has had the same problem. Any ideas on what's involved to fix this?

Thanks so much.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,461 Posts
Nope, never had that.

Following just in case...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Recently, I noticed the smell of gas each time I got out of the car. The smell was strongest near the rear wheel well on the driver's side. The smell could go away when the car wasn't used for a while, but after driving it, it became fresh and apparent again.

I decided to check around the fuel pump, so I folded the rear seats, pulled up the black carpet, and removed the 3 screws holding the fuel pump cover on. As soon as the cover was off, I noticed some fuel on top of the plastic fuel pump, and figured it was coming from the connection where the fuel line connects to the pump. I lightly tugged on the line to be sure that it's being held securely, and while i was able to slide it slightly forward and backward, it didn't want to come off.

Not sure if the tube should move as it does on the spout, but I feel that this is the weak point and there's a problem - obviously, there shouldn't be any fuel coming out. I wiped it all up and put the cover back on, which seemed to fix the problem, as for a few weeks there was no longer a fuel smell. However, today, the smell has returned.

Curious to know if anyone here has had the same problem. Any ideas on what's involved to fix this?

Thanks so much.
I don't think that fuel line should be movable at all. Maybe it is supposed to have a clamp on it, and the clamp is missing? Or the line itself is defective. I would definitely take it in to have it evaluated... because any fuel leakage is not normal and is a fire hazard.

What year and trim is your CRV? I ask because there were a limited number of 2017s (mine included) that had potentially improperly installed fuel lines at the factory, and Honda issued a formal recall to fix the issue. I believe they actually replaced the fuel line in question. But anyone with this issue should have received a formal recall notice back in 2017.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops forgot to mention my model: 2004 EX.

There is a clamp on the line, but i can still move the connector slightly back and forth, though not much at all.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Oops forgot to mention my model: 2004 EX.

There is a clamp on the line, but i can still move the connector slightly back and forth, though not much at all.
Oh... got it.. totally unrelated to current generation then. I did not notice which subforum this thread was in, since I jumped to it from the "popular" tab. :)

So.. maybe the line is just old and needs to be replaced, or maybe the clamp has failed (cracked, or lost tension over time).

Definitely need to get to the bottom of it though.. because that is a fire hazard waiting for an opportunity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
williamsji
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing