Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I noticed the smell of gas each time I got out of the car. The smell was strongest near the rear wheel well on the driver's side. The smell could go away when the car wasn't used for a while, but after driving it, it became fresh and apparent again.

I decided to check around the fuel pump, so I folded the rear seats, pulled up the black carpet, and removed the 3 screws holding the fuel pump cover on. As soon as the cover was off, I noticed some fuel on top of the plastic fuel pump, and figured it was coming from the connection where the fuel line connects to the pump. I lightly tugged on the line to be sure that it's being held securely, and while i was able to slide it slightly forward and backward, it didn't want to come off.

Not sure if the tube should move as it does on the spout, but I feel that this is the weak point and there's a problem - obviously, there shouldn't be any fuel coming out. I wiped it all up and put the cover back on, which seemed to fix the problem, as for a few weeks there was no longer a fuel smell. However, today, the smell has returned.

Curious to know if anyone here has had the same problem. Any ideas on what's involved to fix this?

Thanks so much.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,047 Posts
Nope, never had that.

Following just in case...

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,474 Posts
Recently, I noticed the smell of gas each time I got out of the car. The smell was strongest near the rear wheel well on the driver's side. The smell could go away when the car wasn't used for a while, but after driving it, it became fresh and apparent again.

I decided to check around the fuel pump, so I folded the rear seats, pulled up the black carpet, and removed the 3 screws holding the fuel pump cover on. As soon as the cover was off, I noticed some fuel on top of the plastic fuel pump, and figured it was coming from the connection where the fuel line connects to the pump. I lightly tugged on the line to be sure that it's being held securely, and while i was able to slide it slightly forward and backward, it didn't want to come off.

Not sure if the tube should move as it does on the spout, but I feel that this is the weak point and there's a problem - obviously, there shouldn't be any fuel coming out. I wiped it all up and put the cover back on, which seemed to fix the problem, as for a few weeks there was no longer a fuel smell. However, today, the smell has returned.

Curious to know if anyone here has had the same problem. Any ideas on what's involved to fix this?

Thanks so much.
I don't think that fuel line should be movable at all. Maybe it is supposed to have a clamp on it, and the clamp is missing? Or the line itself is defective. I would definitely take it in to have it evaluated... because any fuel leakage is not normal and is a fire hazard.

What year and trim is your CRV? I ask because there were a limited number of 2017s (mine included) that had potentially improperly installed fuel lines at the factory, and Honda issued a formal recall to fix the issue. I believe they actually replaced the fuel line in question. But anyone with this issue should have received a formal recall notice back in 2017.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops forgot to mention my model: 2004 EX.

There is a clamp on the line, but i can still move the connector slightly back and forth, though not much at all.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,474 Posts
Oops forgot to mention my model: 2004 EX.

There is a clamp on the line, but i can still move the connector slightly back and forth, though not much at all.
Oh... got it.. totally unrelated to current generation then. I did not notice which subforum this thread was in, since I jumped to it from the "popular" tab. :)

So.. maybe the line is just old and needs to be replaced, or maybe the clamp has failed (cracked, or lost tension over time).

Definitely need to get to the bottom of it though.. because that is a fire hazard waiting for an opportunity.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a few updates here -
I opened the fuel pump cover under the rear seat and noticed fuel leaking from the fuel line. Looks like the clip holding the line to the beige plastic pump may not be gripping tightly enough. If I use a paper towel and wipe up all the fuel, as soon as I move the towel away, I can see fuel slowly seeping back out.

I can purchase a new clip at Dorman (https://www.carid.com/2004-honda-cr-v-fuel-delivery-parts/dorman-fuel-line-clip-681882492.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|2.4L), but would also like to replace the 90-degree elbow just in case that part is compromised.

Any ideas on how to find the 90?

Here are some images:

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
446 Posts
I have replaced the 2 o rings in those fuel line connectors before ,I used a small pick with a bent tip to remove the plastic sleeve that snaps in that holds the o rings in place and it has a spacer between the 2 o rings you will have to remove them and bring them to an auto parts store that has a good o ring assortment or in the Help packages maybe.they should be good for gasoline,Honda says replace the whole line ,but it can be repaired,the clip just keeps it from blowing off ,it is normal for it to move in and out a 1/4" , to release it you slide it in and squeeze the clip with thumb and finger and pull out with the other hand ,first relieve the pressure by starting it up and unplug the pump until it stalls or it will spray gas on your interior ,when putting the line back on the retainer clip should be on the pump nipple slid down to the stop (larger step) sometimes when removing the line it will try to stay on the fuel line quick connector,try to let it stay on the pump or it can break the tabs , here's some info in PDF photos that might help,or maybe this it requires cutting the plastic and heating it with a heat gun and slipping it in and let it cool but is dangerous using a heat gun around gas but you could always take the o rings out of this and use them https://www.autozone.com/fuel-systems/fuel-line-repair/dorman-5-16-in-steel-to-5-16-in-nylon-tubing-fuel-line-quick-connector/839129_0_0

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts