Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my new 2015 CRV LX 2.4 last September, the gas mileage was pretty good, 36+ MPG. It then dropped little by little to now 31-32 MPG. I use the car almost exclusively on HWY, cruising at 65-70 miles/hr. No change in driving habit or usage pattern.
The car is now 6000+ miles, the indicator says the oil life is 50%, is this normal? Do I need to do anything? Thanks
tstt

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your efficiency drop is probably a product of the winter season (winter blend gasoline, heater, etc).
Perhaps others with similar driving habits as you can comment on your oil life. I drive mostly city and my oil life was at 15% at just under 5k miles. But I’ve seen comments here from users who don’t get their first oil change until 8k miles.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'd say your oil life is about right based on what I've seen on ours. Remember, driving on the hwy isn't going to be hard on the oil, especially if you are getting the engine up to temp and it's there for a while each time you drive the car.
I would recommend you change your oil based on the MM as you're wasting good oil if you do it sooner.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Agree with both statements. Just don’t go longer than 1 year for an oil change as per the manufacturer recommendation, or your MM, whatever comes first.

It’s winter, yes you will lose mileage!

·
Registered
197 Posts
What is it with everyone getting well into the 30s mpg at 70mph? Sometimes when I get on the interstate, switch on the cruise control and I'm lucky to hit 30mpg after an hour even if it's not winter. Is everyone else driving on hot windless plains or is I-35 cursed in some way?

I went in for the first oil change with a few percent left at 9,500 miles on 60/40 highway/city mix. When it says 50% left, it actually means 40-50%, so if you're getting that at 6,000 miles and you're mostly highway then that sounds about right given my experience.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
toast21 - I think your mileage problem is that the computer is showing an avg for that tank. Next time you go on a long trip or just want to see 30+mpg, right after you fill up jump on the interstate and go for a drive. It takes a lot of miles at 30+ to bring an avg up if the first half tank is only done at 25mpg.
My best mileage has been seen when I fill up the night before a trip down to San Diego, with only the mile and a half put on going home and then going to the freeway the next morning.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nope, I'm definitely paying attention to the trip fuel economy rather than the tank fuel economy. I can get far better at 55mph (37mpg over not-flat highway), just that it's rare for me to see 33mpg on 70mph interstate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts