Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry, Lighblue. There may be something wrong with your car but my mileage through 3 tanks is great. On trips of a less than ten miles I have achieved 30+ almost every time. I have found that areas of 45 MPH speed limits with few lights help my mileage tremendously. I do live in a warm clime so maybe that is a factor. I don't crawl from a start but I do try to accelerate lightly and take my foot off the gas and coast whenever I am approaching a stop light or sign. I drive speed limits mostly or a little above. So far I am beating the EPA estimates but I have done that with my last several cars.

The best mileage is when one is running at a constant speed so I accelerate lightly to that speed and often set the cruise so the temptation to stay up with the rabbits is lessened. At a constant 60 on flat ground my instantaneous reading looks like 40 MPG or a little over. It's over 50 at a constant 45 MPH. My three tanks have been 34.1, 34.6, and 32.7 as calculated by the old standby of miles driven divided by gallons to fill the tank. Good luck at getting better MPG.

By the way, I owned a CMAX when the sticker said 47 MPG. Ford later reduced it to 42 or 43 and paid all owners some good money. I felt it was humorous that they paid me $700 and I was getting the advertised mileage or better. So it would be sweet if Honda were to be sued but from reading other owners experiences on this board I think it unlikely.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well if driving around In-City at 25-30 mph is "not figured into the test" - I can certainly tell you why . It's because the mpg would suck majorly . Today I drove it about 8 miles in city ... with my shoe off the right foot so the sock could ever so slightly touch the gas - as light as anyone could possibly manage . I managed to get 20.1 mpg . Extremely slow starts from stop and very gradual - soft as a baby...coasting as much as possible. It's a total lie that these cars will get 28mpg city and 28-30 combined . I personally , from my experience think Honda should be sued for this. Driving in a normal [not hot] manner will give you about 17 mpg or about 11 less than advertised .
I think you should go ahead and sue Honda. Waste your money.

EPA mileage test is done on a very strict "drive cycle". The speeds and what the car does is laid out in detail so that all cars will be driven the same way. If you drive differently than that drive cycle your mileage will vary. If you really think that the numbers are that far off then trade off the car for something better.

I spent over 40 years in the automotive field in technical education working for a couple of the major auto makers in the world. After leaving the sinking GM in the late 1990's I taught college and served on a Lemon Law board. I have had a lot of experience on both sides of the discussion. Also, in my extended family we have owned 38 Honda so I have a little database of my own on them. My Honda's can be made to drink gas but also to exceed the EPA ratings. It all depends on time of year, current fuel blends, and how I drive the car.

If you think your car is using too much fuel then contact Honda and have a talk with them. If you think they should be sued for "lying" then shell out the big money and go sue them. You will not be the first person to do it. You will expend a ton of money and get nowhere but do it anyway to make yourself feel better. Along the way you will learn a lot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well you are exactly correct . As I stated once you hit 40-45 mph and have merely regular stoplights here and there ..I got 28.1 mpg ..not a problem. Running at 45mph at a constant speed is going to give you 28+ . Running at 60-65 is going to give you 31-34 . Not a problem . Running at 20-30 in city Traffic and driving the car normally will give you about 17 and I actually got 20.1 by being as soft and slow and consistent on the pedal as was humanly possible [for me anyway] . I don't drive that way ... i coasted when possible and I barely tapped the throttle. What I'm saying is that I assumed "In - City" driving meant normal driving behaviors without the kind of "extreme" driving behavior I practiced today. And - I assumed 28/31 "in-City" and 29-30 combined average meant that my car would get around 27-29 ...either in-city or combined . It does not. It does not even come close once You actually drive the car in the city on Roads posted at 20-30mph. You will get about 17 and maybe 20 if you want to drive the frustrating way I did today. 90% of my driving is at the posted speed limit in my city ..."in city" . My New CRV is giving me 17 at best under normal driving condition ... 17 is a Very - Very long way from 28 and so is 20mpg.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My drive home from the gas station has a mile at 35 MPH limit before I get to a stop sign. My mileage on that stretch is from 25 -30. Not trying to one up anybody but something is very different if your results are that bad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
* Qualification : seem my post at 11:23pm tonight * ...I'm not going to sue Honda - This car is already costing me a fortune in gas ! What I am going to do is complain and speak the Truth about what the car actually does for me "In city" . I don't care who makes what excuses - if this does NOT Change then I am stuck with a car that averages 17 mpg on "in city Roads" whose posted speed limits are 20-30 mph. I either have a very unusual car [ And I'm pretty certain that is not true] or this is going to change in the future. So far , I have been told to wait until the Break in Oil is replaced at first oil change and wait for "summer gas" and give the car time to reprogram itself to learn my driving behavior. I remain skeptical - but if anyone wants the car to perform "in City" at * "ANYWHERE" * near 28mpg ...it's me !

At this point, I would be more than willing to settle for normal driving behavior at 22-23 mph while driving a mix of 20-35 posted Speed zones in City.

I will continue to drive the Car [of course] the next few days - being timid - around town and see if anything changes. Today on my in city "8 mile" ..20.1 jaunt - resetting the trip meter ..as I always do ... i initially got 29-30 mpg for about the first 1.5 miles at around 25-27 ...this has also occurred in the past . However at about 3 miles ..same driving behavior I went down to 26 and then subsequently down to 22 a few minutes later . Then I got on the freeway and drove home. When I arrived home .. I reset the trip meter to 0 and drove as timidly as I possibly could for the next 8 miles and got 20.1.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not going to sue Honda - This car is already costing me a fortune in gas ! What I am going to do is complain and speak the Truth about what the car actually does for me "In city" . I don't care who makes what excuses - if this does NOT Change then I am stuck with a car that averages 17 mpg on "in city Roads" whose posted speed limits are 20-30 mph. I either have a very unusual car [ And I'm pretty certain that is not true] or this is going to change in the future. So far , I have been told to wait until the Break in Oil is replaced at first oil change and wait for "summer gas" and give the car time to reprogram itself to learn my driving behavior. I remain skeptical - but if anyone wants the car to perform "in City" at * "ANYWHERE" * near 28mpg ...it's me !

At this point, I would be more than willing to settle for normal driving behavior at 22-23 mph while driving a mix of 20-35 posted Speed zones in City.
Count me in lightblue, my touring average the same as your and I live in CA

·
Registered
37 Posts
How long is that stretch . I found that at about 35 and up the problem gets MUCH better ..especially if the speed is constant and there are no stoplights or signs or very few of them .

·
Registered
37 Posts
SEMI-Correction : I just took the CRV out for a night drive. No traffic . Long open , flat stretch of road - maybe a stop light every mile . zero'd out the trip meter. Pushed the gas pedal as lightly as possible to start . Mpg the first 1/2 mile read 70 mpg. Huh ? at 1 miles it reads Avg 40. By the end of my 8 mile Test - driving 28-34 mph mainly - my Avg read 34.4 mpg. I'm surprised of course , but wait . How did I drive. I "glided" the car. I never put my foot into the pedal more than what seemed 1/16 to 1/8 ...max 1/4 of an inch. Worked the pedal just enough to keep it going at a consistent 27-32 mphour... Kept it at an even speed. Bored me to death and was a lot of work. stopped car ..turned it back towards home ... drove it even slower at 24-29 mphour in the same manner ... got 32 mpg.

Then zeroed out the trip meter again and drove the car like a White man - on more "city-like roads" with some hills and stoplights . I still drove it gingerly but I put the foot in the gas pedal maybe 1/2 to one inch - at times. Got 20.5 mpg.

Take it for what it is worth. feel I will drive tomorrow , in the usual manner in town and get 17 - that's what I expect. But at least I know that you can get higher mileage if you are in the scenario above ....flat ..long ..no traffic ...or many stops and constant consistent speed - even at low speeds. Tomorrow I will attempt the "Ultimate glide mode" while driving around town during usual traffic with stops. I'll let you know

All posted in the interest of honesty .

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm myself disappointed that I only got 25.x.
I either sell the car, trade in for a different one or just ignore and get used to it.
Every time I look at the MPG display, I feel robbed :) 'til the point that I stop look at it.
Oh well!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whats your actual fuel mileage.No of gal.pumped into tank over miles driven.Mine is tracked by fuelly.com over 9854 kms Avg,L/100 km is 8.1 last fillup 8.9 best 7.4 . Keep in mind this in Imperial gal. & Miles 8 /100 = 35.5 MPG imperal not US gal. Stimy

·
Registered
294 Posts
I test drove the RAV4 hybrid. It had very slow acceleration. And the hybrid has better torque than the gas model. I am getting mileage in my CR-V that is better than EPA for either of the RAV4's. The RAV4 also seemed almost toy like in the interior. Maybe to attract a younger crowd.

·
Registered
37 Posts
21.7 avg mpg for 2017 CRV--not very encouraging; 2017 Toyota RAV4: 26.4 avg mpg according to above website. Reliability and economical to operate are most important to me; not sure about the 1.5T. Why choose the CRV over the Rav4?

That's what I'm talking about . Doesn't look anywhere near 29-30 combined. And it will be worse than that if you are actually driving in town at posted speeds of 20-30 mph...unless you have the patience, fortitude and time to drive like a ninja .

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have over 4,000 miles on my AWD CRV, I've averaged about 29 around town and over 32 mpg on the two trips I've taken. Every time I've hand calculated and been over the posted mpg. I usually drive over the limit, maybe 5 on the freeway. I don't baby it around town either! I'm really impressed with the mpg.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Complaints about fuel milage and suing Honda are absurd IMO, we just picked up our CR-V, part of the tank has been city/hwy from the dealership, the rest city and the computer shows 27.2 mpg, we aren't even trying to get better milage, not in ECON mode or anything. On the hwy we even did a lot of bouncing around on the speed since we were in and out of traffic and my wife and I were following each other. Crazy that some people are not seeing the reasonably good milage, I doubt any lawsuit would hold up in court since so many people, including the magazines, are seeing reasonably good milage.

Maybe the gas station you are filling up at has watered down gasoline? Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I was noting our mileage today on a drive out through the country side. This is in a rural area with LOTS of hills, cars turning off, etc. Driven around 50-60 MPH depending on the road, we did a bit over 35 MPG on a 50 mile drive. I noted that for the entire tank of gas, mixed driving with Interstate, country roads, and some in-city stuff that this last tank averaged over 28 MPG. The car is low miles and still breaking in and the mileage only improves over time. Of course some of that is me learning to not take off so fast seeing how that turbo engine will run. :)

I am pleased with the mileage and the performance compared to my 2012 EX-L.

41 - 60 of 401 Posts