Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on here and couldn't find anyone else with this problem. However, just googling this issue it seems to be a known and common problem among other cars (including other Hondas) that has capless fuel filler systems. I was pumping gas tonight and when it came time to pull the nozzle back out it was stuck. I waited the recommended 5 seconds (which I don't think is related to this issue, but rather, so gas doesn't drip on its way out) and it was still stuck. It took much yanking and wiggling and everything to finally get it out. In my research it appears it could have to do with either putting the nozzle in too far and having the spring of the nozzle get caught in the two "doors flaps" in the fuel filler or also, it could have something to do with the way some nozzles have a notch or any other such feature at the tip, thereby allowing it to get caught in the door flaps. In my case, the nozzle felt like it was completely suctioned onto the filler, there was no give at all. Have any of you had issues with this?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Gas pump nozzle

I personally feel that this cap less design is a solution to a problem that does not exist. I guess they felt that it lessens the chance of getting gas residue on your hands but it creates problems like this and creates a dependency on the dealer to fix any air leaks as the system ages. The traditional gas cover could be easily replaced at any auto store.

BTW how did you finally get it out?

Rob

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was eventually able to get it out just by luck. I'll be contacting Honda to let them know. There are other videos, articles, forum postings, etc., about this issue with the Ford Escape, some Dodge vehicles, the Honda Ridgeline, Accord, and Civic, but not so much the CR-V. In one extreme case, after police/fire came to assist and after 3-4 hours of head scratching, the gas had to be shut off to the pump, the pump/nozzle then physically disconnected from the hose, so the vehicle could be towed or brought to a shop/dealer to deal with.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I love that my 2014 CR-V has a removable gas cap with a tether so you can't forget it after filling the tank, AND a little place that holds it on the inside of the gas door while I'm filling up!

:D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
There is an extender by your spare tire if you ever needed to use a gas can on the capless system (if u ran out of gas)

Maybe the pump was an older style or non standard and snagged something

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I was eventually able to get it out just by luck. I'll be contacting Honda to let them know. There are other videos, articles, forum postings, etc., about this issue with the Ford Escape, some Dodge vehicles, the Honda Ridgeline, Accord, and Civic, but not so much the CR-V. In one extreme case, after police/fire came to assist and after 3-4 hours of head scratching, the gas had to be shut off to the pump, the pump/nozzle then physically disconnected from the hose, so the vehicle could be towed or brought to a shop/dealer to deal with.
Thanks for sharing your story it’s a good cautionary story.
I can easily see how this could become a major problem if your unable to get it free yourself. It might even cause gas stations to either redesign the noozle or force car makers to change their design. If I was a gas station owner I would also not be happy with a pump tied up for 30min, that’s a lot of lost revenue.

Rob

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I like the cap-less design and find it convenient. I've never had an issue with it getting stuck. It works as designed making gas refills quicker and I hope Honda continues the idea in all vehicles.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I dont like the fact that it seems there is no way to keep gas from dripping when removing the nozzle. I wait and jiggle inside then pull out the nozzle. Still drips.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I dont like the fact that it seems there is no way to keep gas from dripping when removing the nozzle. I wait and jiggle inside then pull out the nozzle. Still drips.
Hmmm. Haven't had this problem. I just pull it out slowly without topping off.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I like the cap-less design and find it convenient. I've never had an issue with it getting stuck. It works as designed making gas refills quicker and I hope Honda continues the idea in all vehicles.
I am pretty sure your wish will be granted because it certainly has a modern appeal, so all the car makers will more than likely adopt it. Personally I like it but it really does not matter much to me one way or the other. Both systems work and both have advantages and disadvantages.

Rob

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a post regarding an issue with the gas fill tube. In my case the inner flap occasionally statyed open after a fill up causing the engine light to come one. It took two visits to the dealership for them to diagnose and a third visit to replace the filler assembly. That filler tube is fragile and poorly designed. Try not to fill up where the gas hose it stretched out that there is a lot of force applied on the filler neck. You just have to be careful and gentle which is ridiculous.

Not sure in your case if the nozzle got jammed and locked to the inner flap that you can’t remove it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a post regarding an issue with the gas fill tube. In my case the inner flap occasionally statyed open after a fill up causing the engine light to come one. It took two visits to the dealership for them to diagnose and a third visit to replace the filler assembly. That filler tube is fragile and poorly designed. Try not to fill up where the gas hose it stretched out that there is a lot of force applied on the filler neck. You just have to be careful and gentle which is ridiculous.

Not sure in your case if the nozzle got jammed and locked to the inner flap that you can’t remove it.
How rough are you filling? Lol

And why would the hose be stretched out, unless you parked really far away from the pump...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just filled up last night and can see how this can happen.

The spring on the pump nozzle can easily go past the flaps and get stuck.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

Stretch it like that is a really bad idea. It will wreck and Gas Tube because the hose nozzle is made of metal that is 10 times more durable.

Rob

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wait more than 5 seconds and it still drips every time, I just let nozzle drip at tip of gas tank opening to catch that last drop of gas.
So the nozzle is dripping? I've had this problem at some pumps with my other cars but, not sure how that is a CR-V issue.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts