Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Again I'm back to ask a few questions about saving gas. The first time around you guys saved me from buying that 10cent piece of junk (performance chip). I would rather have the engine stay healthy than to save gas, lol. This is for a 2009 CRV LX

My question today is about this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230384786095&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My dad told me about this in the past when gas reached $5/gallon and he told me he tried it before in one of his old cars. He said the tornado/vortex thing really does boost the HP a bit and saves a bit of gas.

After taking a look at it, it kind of is reasonable as the price is low for it and it does seem like it'll create a better wind intake.

Also, this item comes with this "magnetic fuel ionizer", which I have never seen or heard. Unlike the "chip", it seems like you only have to strap this on the fuel line.

Could some of you guys please give your opinions on this? If it can save me a least 1-2 miles per gallon, I would be happy. That would mean I could push a least an extra 13-20miles per tank. This will pay off after about 2-3 fillups.

Thanks again guys! This time around, I tried to search for more "keywords", but couldn't find a thread on it again. Sorry if it's a dupe.

One more thing, any of you guys know if there is a K&N intake system for the CRV? Also if there are performance exhausts or systems I could look at that would save me gas and add hp?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The only reply I can come up with is "if it's too good to be true, it probably is."

These gimmicks have been around for decades. They seem to come back ever so often, presumably to rip off a new set of naive car owners.

What does your gut tell you? If this really worked, don't you think you'd hear about it through legitimate sources? I'm convinced it "works" because embarrassed buyers talk themselves into believing it works.

Maybe you should purchase it and let us know how it goes. I'm all for better gas mileage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only reply I can come up with is "if it's too good to be true, it probably is."

These gimmicks have been around for decades. They seem to come back ever so often, presumably to rip off a new set of naive car owners.

What does your gut tell you? If this really worked, don't you think you'd hear about it through legitimate sources? I'm convinced it "works" because embarrassed buyers talk themselves into believing it works.

Maybe you should purchase it and let us know how it goes. I'm all for better gas mileage.
I really am thinking of purchasing it, but I'm just mainly scared about the "gas strap" thing. The vortex shouldn't hurt anything. Of course I would give my honest opinion on this, since it's hard to find legitimate responses.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I saw an episode of "Mythbusters" and they tested the magnetic device. I guess the idea is that is somehow "aligns" the molecules (or whatever) and makes the gas burn more efficiently. It didn't work in their test environment. Go figure...

·
Registered
355 Posts
I believe that countless studies conclusively indicate that the vehicle operator is the #1 agent of change regarding mileage. How you drive your V is vastly more important than the gimmicks out there that promise the moon, but can't even produce a moon shadow.

Have never purchased either of these items, so I can't say definitely what improvements they make. From what I've read about others who have used them, save your money. If you want to throw some cash away, do so towards a favorite charity, including yourself.

Just try these three things for a week or so & see if you can improve your mileage.
#1[this is the most expensive item on this list]: increase your tire air pressure. I know that the door sticker says 30 psi. Spend $.50 at a gas station air pump & raise your tire pressure to between 32 - 36 psi. Anything less creates rolling resistance with "soft" tires. Anything more creates a harsh, noisy ride.
#2: when you accelerate, keep your tachometer under 3,000 rpm until you get to the posted speed. I know that you won't beat many other vehicles to the next traffic light. The objective here is to maximize your gas mileage, not the amount of time you wait idling at the next light for it to change. Of course, when entering a highway, for safety reasons you can't afford the leisurely stroll @ 3000 rpm. You'll have to mash it to get to highway speed. However, traffic light to traffic light ain't entering a crowded highway.
#3: anticipate red lights. Take you foot off of the pedal sooner than usual & let your V coast until you think it's time to step on the brake. Not only will you find out that you're using less gas, but you will also find that your brakes last longer too.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If any of these gimecks worked ,I know the Manufacturers would of put them in as all you hear and read about is what kind of gas mileage their vehicles get.All governments are on the auto manufacturers to increase their fleet mileage.If they could get to advertise 34 mpg and 160 hp or 36 mpg and 165 hp with some cheap add on don't you think they would be all over it?.Another old saying a fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I really am thinking of purchasing it, but I'm just mainly scared about the "gas strap" thing. The vortex shouldn't hurt anything. Of course I would give my honest opinion on this, since it's hard to find legitimate responses.
I think instead of buying those you should just give the money to me.

It has been proven by MULTIPLE RELIABLE SOURCES that they are bogus, and nothing more than a waste of money.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I don't normally post if there is nothing to be added. This thread certainly comes under that heading. I just have to extend my complements, however, to those who did post and helped put this issue to rest (until the next snake oil salesman rises from the depths).:rolleyes:

Automotive crap/gimmicky has always been a problem but I have never seen it at the level it's been at for the last few years. There is very little supervision of advertisers in general and "When the cat's away, the mice will play".

Good show CRVOC and "fillsteak", those were some pretty good nails for the coffin.:)

·
Registered
687 Posts
The "tornado" might work in an older engine with dirty injectors a header, valve and combustion chamber design that doesn't promote fuel mixing and "swirl" as well as newer engines.

In a newer engine, it would actually act as a intake restriction, and likely cause a loss of performance at higher RPM's. However, a slight loss in performance might actually result in increased mileage since you are producing less peak power.

Another thing to keep in mind... Non laminar airflow or turbulenace in the intake upstream of the Mass Airflow Sensor could result in inaccurate airflow readings. That might be how it makes some engines run leaner for improved economy. Of course too lean and you'll burn a hole in your piston, damage valves, etc.

Aligning fuel molecules with magnets...that about the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. Ther could be some truth, but as soon as the molecules are forced through the nozzle on the injector and are immediately atomized, any alignment will be eliminated.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I've seen people test the stupid vortex thing on both old and new, import and domestic. It doesn't do anything. There's nothing to it, air will straighten itself out right after it, and in most cases it drops mileage and power by blocking up most of the intake tube. Either way. Vortex spinners don't work nearly as good as E-bay performance chips:rolleyes: those really will give you 80 more hp, and at least 35 mpg, and no, they're not just a resistor, they're real: and you can believe everything you read on E-bay.... Also that fuel strap wound up lighting the test car on fire, so don't buy into any of that junk.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not an expert on American history but didn't one president say "you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time" .Some other American said "there is a sucker born every minute." :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had one of those in my 2000 Ford Focus ZX3, it did absolutely nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Thankfully mine was free from my buddy who had it in his focus and took it out and gave it to me before he sold his. He claimed it worked. We had the exact same engines and I saw no difference, so I can't speak to his claim of it working.

·
Registered
196 Posts
lessons learned

Thanks for the compliments tsmithvt!

I think the main thing to take away from this thread is to always check this club for info. The amount of people that have replied to this is simply amazing, with both external resources and personal test results. Great work everyone!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks you guys. Again this forum has saved me from spending extra money :D

Now how about a full intake system? :) Any tips on that?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Thanks you guys. Again this forum has saved me from spending extra money :D

Now how about a full intake system? :) Any tips on that?
please start a new thread for this topic :)

my opinion is that all these instant power add on items are snake oil.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've seen people test the stupid vortex thing on both old and new, import and domestic. It doesn't do anything. There's nothing to it, air will straighten itself out right after it, and in most cases it drops mileage and power by blocking up most of the intake tube. Either way. Vortex spinners don't work nearly as good as E-bay performance chips:rolleyes: those really will give you 80 more hp, and at least 35 mpg, and no, they're not just a resistor, they're real: and you can believe everything you read on E-bay.... Also that fuel strap wound up lighting the test car on fire, so don't buy into any of that junk.

Yes, it only takes about 10 pipe diameters for a fluid to return to laminar flow... but once you hit another elbow... it's unstraight again.

Actually, I could see the turbulene working against you. If could cause air to be distributed to the intake header unevenly or cause too much turbulence at the MAF sensor, giving incorrect values or values different that when the ECU should be seeing. It might also act as an intake restrictor... so your mileage might increased because you simply have less power available.

Waste of money and proven such by many, many independent testing organizations.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Not an expert on American history but didn't one president say "you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time" .Some other American said "there is a sucker born every minute." :D
Here is the quote from Abraham Lincoln: "You may deceive all the people part of the time, and part of the people all the time, but not all the people all the time." I found this at this site: http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Abraham_Lincoln/

The second quote, attributed to Phineas Taylor Barnum [of Ringling Brothers / Barnum & Bailey circus fame] is found here: http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html [look in the last 2 paragraphs].

1 - 20 of 21 Posts