Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear everyone.

Did anyone experience the same? sometime while i am driving. i could smile a bit gasoline smell. after like 5-10 sec it disappear .. is this normal ?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
335 Posts
Inside of thecab with window open and vents close nah. Maybe with the hood open and your nose against it. Or when overfilling gas at the fuel station you might smell it with windows open but in a normal circumstances no you should not. Remember not to over fill on fuel one click and back off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Perhaps...

Is your smell immediately after starting up, Cold engine or hot engine? or is it driving down the road, or perhaps idling? I have been fighting a fuel smell at times during idle and after a hot soak (drive shut engine off - restart hot engine). I have determined my smell after starting a warm engine is a fuel like smell that smells closer to the engine oil, that has a very distinct fuel smell, even though the vehicle drives 90% highway 25 miles at a given trip. if your honda dealer is helpful and communicates or fixes something please let us all know as my dealer was very quick to tell me know problem found and was very defensive and not helpful. I just replaced the cabin filter with a charcoal activated cabin filter 10 minutes ago.

this directly from the 'Known issues thread'

[ ] Fuel in the engine oil, fuel smell, increased engine oil level. - Solution:
- Pending. Honda is aware of the problem. Honda in China released a statement on Feb 12, 2018 and issued a recall. Report it to your dealer and demand a free oil change until the issue is fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ! everything. in my case is that i feel the gas smell for 5 second and it disappear while i am driving with window close and fans on... for a wind get into the car. like that middle mode under the entertaining screen. i think is out cycle mode right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but the NHTSA and the Transport Canada are for safety related issues. This is more of a quality issue. Don't get me wrong, I thing Honda should come up with a solution.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a new 2018 EX with like 300 miles on it.
No issues yet although i do smell a hint of gas on the oil dipstick, but i think that is normal for a small turbo engine.

What bothers me is that when shopping for cars and comparing models, and watching all these youtube reviews, etc.. i never came across any mention of these gas issues.
All of these "Top Ten" and expert car review sites don't mention anything and the CRV is like #1 everywhere and top on all lists.
I am not saying I would not of bought my CRV but i definitely would of given it some more thought.

And it seems like there is a long history of gas related issues with Hondas going back to the 90's, yet they seem to be able to manage the bad press very well because I had no idea when just searching for "CRV reviews"
Its only when you start searching for gas or oil issues with CRV when you get the hits.

apparently lawsuits have also already been filed..
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/lawsuit-2015-2017-honda-cr-v-fuel-odor-problems.shtml

·
crv|oc Rank: Junior
668 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but the NHTSA and the Transport Canada are for safety related issues. This is more of a quality issue. Don't get me wrong, I thing Honda should come up with a solution.
IMHO, it is a safety issue. If I did not know about this oil dilution problem and there was no recall or TSB, then, I would drive the car normally and the engine could fail anytime on the road, highway, etc. I would come out of that alive if lucky.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Failures due to wear usually signal their coming demise with noises, vibrations, etc.

I would have ordered one had it not been for this issue. Maybe I knew to look for forums that would inform me of owners opinions because I participate on other makes/models forums. But the info has been out there for months. Not something that a test drive with a freshly serviced car given to a magazine or web site for testing is liable to pick up on because they don't drive it long enough to get to know the car (maybe with the exception of the year long tests Motor Trend does but those are for a select few cars and MT would choose the biggest engine version in all probability).

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,636 Posts
I've owned 9 Honda vehicles. Never gas fume issues in or out of the vehicles. They've all been very good in all aspects. Currently own 09 Ody and 18 CRV. They too are excellent vehicles.

I wish every Honda owner had good experiences too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sometime while i am driving. i could smile a bit gasoline smell. after like 5-10 sec it disappear .. is this normal ??
It takes about that long for the gas to find it's way from the injectors to the crankcase.
After that, it mixes with the oil, and the smell goes away.....lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts