Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE DON'T HIJACK THIS THREAD INTO ANOTHER DISCUSSION ABOUT THE OVERALL OIL DILUTION ISSUE - there are plenty of other threads discussing such.

A poster in another thread asked a question that I think is relevant in light of all the concern about the oil dilution issue, and that question was about whether people are smelling gas on their oil dipstick but are not having the magically increasing oil volume. My 2018 EX-L has about 500 miles on it, no increase in oil volume (at least not noticeable), but the oil dipstick does distinctly smell like gas.

It makes sense that with these direct injection engines that there may be more opportunity for gas fumes/molecules to mix with the oil but it may not actually be a problem in and of itself. Or not?

With all the concern about the oil dilution issue that seems prevalent on this site, it might be good to establish whether gas smell on an oil dipstick, by itself, is a problem. Certainly, gas smell and increase oil volume is a concern. But just gas smell?

Thoughts?

·
Banned
353 Posts
First...
I find it amusing that you emphatically declare that this thread should NOT discuss the oil dilution issue, yet you proceed to mention the oil dilution issue TWICE!

Second...
The reason your dipstick smells like gas is because the oil is being DILUTED WITH FUEL!

·
Registered
146 Posts
PLEASE DON'T HIJACK THIS THREAD INTO ANOTHER DISCUSSION ABOUT THE OVERALL OIL DILUTION ISSUE - there are plenty of other threads discussing such.

A poster in another thread asked a question that I think is relevant in light of all the concern about the oil dilution issue, and that question was about whether people are smelling gas on their oil dipstick but are not having the magically increasing oil volume. My 2018 EX-L has about 500 miles on it, no increase in oil volume (at least not noticeable), but the oil dipstick does distinctly smell like gas.

It makes sense that with these direct injection engines that there may be more opportunity for gas fumes/molecules to mix with the oil but it may not actually be a problem in and of itself. Or not?

With all the concern about the oil dilution issue that seems prevalent on this site, it might be good to establish whether gas smell on an oil dipstick, by itself, is a problem. Certainly, gas smell and increase oil volume is a concern. But just gas smell?

Thoughts?
This is a very valid question, IMO. I, too, fall in this category. Definitely smell gas fumes on dipstick, but there has been no appreciable rise in oil level (yet!). That said, my dealer still gave me a free oil change just in case.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
Please continue discussion in existing thread(s)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.