Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..
Sorry to be brief. Just wrote a 2 page essay of a thread, just to find it did not make it through when I hit "send"
All gone. It was over an hour's work..gone. please don't blame me for being brief, the first time to show my face here.

I am in Taiwan, with a 2000 CRV awd. Now technically mint, full resto, left no stone unturned (almost). 8 years of fun driving with no issues, so it deserved a resto when it started to fall apart 2 years ago. Love the car.

It started with losing first gear in my automatic.
now, 1.5 yrs later, I have burnt through 8 fully restored gear boxes.
After changing everything I could come up with, outside the gear box, I am at wit's end.
First gear is still an issue on my latest, refurbished gearbox. It won't burn out internally anymore, after changing the radiator with a clogged cooling pipe for the gearbox. -I hope.
But, first gear is still a problem.
When shifting to D, it feels like second gear. Almost no torque, until RPM goes up a little, then you feel it's first gear. Full torque . Diagnostics show that we were never in 2nd gear at any given time.
Once torque is there, first gear goes up in RPM, but goes up too high, stays at peek-gear-switching-momentum for almost a second, (way too long) then it gives in and goes to second, reluctantly. A pretty hard switch to 2 second gear.
It does not rev wildly, without contact between gears. That was a problem we had, and solved. Solenoids.
No, it does not rev without grip. It simply won't change gear at a reasonable RPM- momentum and offers no torque at low RPM in first gear
This only occurs when going uphill from start, and there are no further issues we have detected..

Gear box guy says I will kill my box if I drive like that, so it needs to go away.
Nobody knows how.. I changed every possible part, i think, except for my ABS sensor, that is broken. Airbags don't work neither and I have no 4wd axle under my car. Never had, tried it twice, by installing the axle, made no difference.
Changed ECU, checked every ECU wire manually. Changed throttle body, injection system, battery and ignition cables, neutral position sensor, solenoids, shifter cable plus adjustment.

Can anyone, please tell me what s going one here? This is killing us, 1.5 years, 8 boxes, rental cars and all the many, many parts costs.
We are a week away from giving up. I don't want to give up.
Can anyone help?

Thanks, Stan

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
Sorry you lost your post, the system probably logged you out due to inactivity.
Is the same shop always doing the work? I’m questioning their competence

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 garages, including Honda dealer, all had a look, and worked on it. 3 different gearbox companies refurbished 3 different gearboxes in a total of 8 times.
And yes, competence has been a massive issue.
Still, all of them together in a weird form of clustermayhem have succeeded to eliminate most of the gearbox issues.
It's this last issue that needs cracking.
Can the broken ABS somehow be at fault here, messing with my first? maybe via an upset ECU?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Abs no.

But a brake issue causing dragging will cause problems.

If transmission overhaul was done correctly, plugged cooler would not have been an issue. Inline magnetic filter changed and pressures checked.

I would make sure nothing it putting extra load on. And if your version is real time 4wd they need to check and make sure the rear isnt engaged full time (like if you dont have matching tires all the way around you can engage the 4wd and burn things up) this would also cause your issue of feeling like lack of power

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I live on a mountain top, my brakes are checked regularly, and to my amazement, my brake pads just last and last. despite the 3KM 300m drop in the road altitude, twice a day.
I dropped the 4wd axle 8-9 yrs ago, so it was never part of this 1.5 year drama. Reinstalled a refurbished one for testing, and it had no effect on the gear box issue at hand.
The radiator cooling pipe for the gear box oil was indeed clogged up with ancient debree, to the point it burnt out at least 6 refurbished gear boxes due to lack of cooling. There should now proper flow, with this new radiator.

That said, if it's not an ABS issue, is there another part outside the gear box that may have suffered due to this oil blockage, and over heating? We changed the torque converter, that also overheated beyond safety. Is there some pump that circulates the gear box oil, that could be broken, clogged or otherwise malfunctioning related to these older issues?

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
It is possible to damage oil pumps during installation of an auto box. At least on other brands of car.
However damage usually results in 100% failure before it leaves the shop.
Transmission fluid lines that have become blocked or fail internally are a problem. At your car’s age, replacement may well be warranted. Have you checked the cooler for blockages to?
Any sign of atf and radiator fluid mixing due to radiator failure?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
If you drove it at all with a blocked cooler that transmission is done, only a matter of time before it fails completely again. Needs to be replaced along with the torque converter.

I cannot believe all those shops never checked the cooler in the radiator. That's always standard to check upon transmission removal.

Sorry for the bad news but there is no other options. Plugged cooler means dead transmission.
Since I live on a mountain top, my brakes are checked regularly, and to my amazement, my brake pads just last and last. despite the 3KM 300m drop in the road altitude, twice a day.
I dropped the 4wd axle 8-9 yrs ago, so it was never part of this 1.5 year drama. Reinstalled a refurbished one for testing, and it had no effect on the gear box issue at hand.
The radiator cooling pipe for the gear box oil was indeed clogged up with ancient debree, to the point it burnt out at least 6 refurbished gear boxes due to lack of cooling. There should now proper flow, with this new radiator.

That said, if it's not an ABS issue, is there another part outside the gear box that may have suffered due to this oil blockage, and over heating? We changed the torque converter, that also overheated beyond safety. Is there some pump that circulates the gear box oil, that could be broken, clogged or otherwise malfunctioning related to these older issues?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you drove it at all with a blocked cooler that transmission is done, only a matter of time before it fails completely again. Needs to be replaced along with the torque converter.

I cannot believe all those shops never checked the cooler in the radiator. That's always standard to check upon transmission removal.

Sorry for the bad news but there is no other options. Plugged cooler means dead transmission.

Indeed, so now gearbox nr 8 (or 9?) is built in, refurbished, and ready to go, if it were not for this first gear issue that has no known cause.
The car can not go back on the road without solving this, lest to kill gearbox 9 as well.

It does get to the point where I want to dump the car, but I have sunk a near full restoration fee into that car, besides the gearbox -related drama. It's just too crazy to give up on a mint car, just because of a single issue. This is archaic technology under that hood.
There must be something else I have not replaced yet, that is causing this. Clearly a part that normally doesn't break, or someone would have suggested it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is possible to damage oil pumps during installation of an auto box. At least on other brands of car.
However damage usually results in 100% failure before it leaves the shop.
Transmission fluid lines that have become blocked or fail internally are a problem. At your car’s age, replacement may well be warranted. Have you checked the cooler for blockages to?
Any sign of atf and radiator fluid mixing due to radiator failure?
Answered, I hope?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wait... Transmission fluid lines that have become blocked or fail internally are a problem..
Can you elaborate? Are those inside the gear box?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
No the hoses coming from the transmission to the radiator. I'm in the US, we call it a transmission, gear box isnt the term we use but referring to same thing. Transmission = "gear box".

And I'm talking about the hoses to the radiator and the cooler for the transmission fluid inside the radiator.

If any part of that becomes blocked so fluid cannot flow and vehicle is driven, the transmission (gear box) will run pressure that's too high and damage seals as well as transmission will overheat quickly and cause more damage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No the hoses coming from the transmission to the radiator. I'm in the US, we call it a transmission, gear box isnt the term we use but referring to same thing. Transmission = "gear box".

And I'm talking about the hoses to the radiator and the cooler for the transmission fluid inside the radiator.

If any part of that becomes blocked so fluid cannot flow and vehicle is driven, the transmission (gear box) will run pressure that's too high and damage seals as well as transmission will overheat quickly and cause more damage.

It's a "transmission" here as well, but in Dutch, it's gear box, both manual or auto. Same word.
Those transmission lines are all new as well. But, good thinking!

In the meantime, please keep your ideas and suggestions coming..
Sure hope for that golden tip. I'll send the golden tipper a 100usd via Paypal, if the suggestion turns out to be the solution. No kidding!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
are you using the right transmission oil? Is the shifter cable shifting the gears ok? If the oil cooler is blocked or questionable , install a after market transmission cooler.
Yes, the correct official oil, and the shifter cable is brand new, and has been checked for the right MM-adjustment.
There is no more overheating oil issue as of now, the flow and cooling is good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you sure your getting the 4 speed transmission? the older models had 3 speeds
A CRV with 3 gears? That never happened. The 1995 started off with a 4-speed automatic. I have the updated first gen, 2000-built, with the higher HP engine. The model before that was underpowered, a lot. That changed, but not the amount of gear in the auto trans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you have a 4 speed over drive older models dont have over drive. Can you scan the transmission for the live data?[/QUOTE

ah, yes. I have the OD version. I will check the ATF story again, make sure.
the mechanic's diagnostic computer reads the data from the car, yes, but the ECU has not offered data to suggest it knows something is wrong

1 - 20 of 25 Posts