Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

New to the forum and really appreciate any advice...

bought my CRv couple of months ago, mileage is 111k, has been serviced etc

Twice, without warning the gears have suddenly locked and the lever refuses to move, on both occasions the weather was mild and the car had driven well prior to each incident...both happened on busy arterial routes so both dangerous situations...had to remain stationary with hazards on...after a minute or so, having switched the engine off, she will restart and then drive normally...on the first incident I did notice the clutch behave slightly differently but nothing really significant...

Ive had a mechanic check her, all fluid levels are fine and he couldnt see anything obvious...he did change the clutch fluid but it has happened since then..

I am not mechanically minded and being a female owner normally driving alone, it has reduced my confidence in the car...

Thanks for wading though my missive :)

·
Everything in Moderation
7,649 Posts
For sure, I'd get under the car and spray some lubricant into the shifter area.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
If this happens again try to shift it into a different gear opposite the other gear i.e. If it won't go to 1st gear shift it into 3rd gear or 5th gear then try to shift it into 1st gear again. Let us know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did try that...but the gearstick is impossible to move...also tried going into reverse and double clutching to no avail...but thank you for your suggestion

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
You might have a bad or going bad shift links. Something is binding. I would suggest to try to take out the shift cable out of the shift lever , start from the neutral then take out the shift lever from the shift cable then try to shift it around if it shifts normally the problem could be in the shift lever on the tranny side. I'll post a link to a diagram. https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2006-honda-cr-v-5dr_ex_4wd-ka-5mt/shift-arm-shift-lever.html Did your mechanic checked the level of the tranny fluid. I have seen many Honda/Acura manual tranny had the wrong oil as what most manufacturer uses Gear Oil in their manual tranny. Honda/Acura uses their own type of Manual Tranny fluid it closely resemble an Engine Oil. When Gear oil is used on these vehicles the shift is usually Stiffer & it will not go to gear especially on the 1st when not fully the vehicle is not fully stopped. Good luck let us know.

·
Super Moderator
3,205 Posts
Stick shift I assume.
Linkage is binding, loosey goosey or someone did a bad repair or reconnection after a clutch change etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much for your suggestions...I will relate them all to the mechanic...fingers crossed its something relatively uncomplicated...apologies for delay in acknowledging your comments. was unable to log in :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts