Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I want fog lights. because I literally live in a place with fog, and I have crappy night vision. I have a basic 1999 CRV AWD.

The bumper conversions to the Japanese model that includes them costs over 1k on ebay now - that's crazy. Standard bumper replacements are like $80 on Amazon. Why is someone not just cutting holes in these and reselling them for $500?

The OEM USA bumper that I have has weird features (two of the holes have slot like things) that make it look like it's made for fog lights, and I see pics showing people putting lights in those little holes, but apparently this was not OEM design at all, OEM in USA they were put on top of the bumper (or a bull bar?) - and I see nowhere to get that bumper, which is exact same as USA style but I guess with holes on top for buggy style fog lights. The bull bar thing seems like it covers up the license plate, which would not fly here, but it's hard to tell if it's really an oem bull bar...

Searching on here - I love the site but the search feature isn't great - I get people dropping thousands on oem or people doing made up aftermarket stuff with little comparative review or how-to's.

I'm not cutting holes in my bumper, and I'm not dropping 2k on it. Even though not OEM, putting them in the little existing holes seems the least disruptive - where is the diy on this? How big of lights? What mounts? Which brand of lights?

I guess I'm just looking for suggestions that are for a basic setup that is neither ordering specialized bumpers off of ebay or rando duct tape fogs off of Amazon. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Fog lights are supposed to let YOU be seen. Not provide extra illumination.

I'd suggest that your first approach should be to raise the aim of the headlights. That provides a LOT more light, farther down the road. Costs nothing. Post back if you need help with that.

+++++

To improve the results of your SEARCH, read this Sticky:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...ssues-website-help/182226-searching-tips.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh, I understand that from a purest perspective, but I would say 99% of all fog light installs are for more light. We can disagree on that, and assume I still want fog lights, and that's a valid desire, even though the desire may be rooted in pagan falsehoods.

Headlight adjustment is easily googleable. Thanks for the search tip.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Carbuff, actually fog lights are exactly that. Their purpose is to get some light as close to the ground as possible to see the road through fog. The higher the lights the less effective they are in thick fog.

pointing headlights upwards is actually a bad idea in fog. Ever turned your highbeams on in the fog, you see less not more due to being blinded.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Carbuff, actually fog lights are exactly that. Their purpose is to get some light as close to the ground as possible to see the road through fog. The higher the lights the less effective they are in thick fog.
<<DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>>

If the purpose of Fog Lights is to light up the road, what do REAR fog lights do??? (As required in the UK and some other jurisdictions?)

(I'll admit that SOME of today's headlamps have crappy illumination patterns, and front fogs will fill in the dark areas.)

·
Registered
'98 EX AWD
323 Posts
If the purpose of Fog Lights is to light up the road, what do REAR fog lights do??? (As required in the UK and some other jurisdictions?)

Rear fog lights are usually red, so you can be seen from the rear.

I'm with Tigris on this one. Fog lights light up below the fog to allow you to see the road (and reflective material) better. All things aside, lets help the OP get his problem fixed instead of a pissing match. Enough threads get closed around here because of too many people bitching about their personal opinions.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I remembered about two years ago, eBay was flooding with these aftermarket front bumpers with either clear/yellow fog lights. They went for $299 shipped, now inflated to over $1,000 like CRnotVtec stated. I said this before, parts will only go higher as each year surpasses. I just order my JDM rear mirror for $100 and JDM fender mirror for $110 off of eBay from Asia. Heck it took me over three years to find a passenger armrest. As far as the fog light discussion goes, figs are designed for other and yourself to have more advantage than regular halogen beams to see ahead or alert others. As far as those German vehicle like Audi, VW, Benz, etc. use rear fogs to alert other drivers behind them that they are there.

If you can’t afford the bumper conversion, why not look at LED light bars that have fog (yellow 3000k) capabilities?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm enjoying this dialogue, but yeah real advice would be helpful. The buggy lights shown are cool, but I guess I'm looking for understated - the conversion bumper really looks the best to me, but there's no way I can afford it, or like someone else here, cut the holes in the bumper myself and fit those cool accord lights in. So I guess what's a good brand size to stick into the little bumper holes? Seems there's slots on the furthest ones out, but I've seen pics of them installed on the first ones on the inside. Is there a difference? Wiring shouldn't be too hard if I just wire them to the headlight switch, but draw power from it's own fuse? Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
The thing about fog is, it hangs above the ground. It's essentially low-hanging (very low!) clouds. So, the idea of fog lights is to have lights mounted low on the vehicle, and aimed to be low enough to light the road rather than just reflect off the fog itself and blind you, which is what your headlights will do in fog. Fog lights can be used to add illumination to the headlights in light fog, or, in heavy fog, turn your headlights off and run just the fog lights. Whichever gives you the best vision forward. Of course, there is a point beyond which fog can become so heavy and low that even fog lights are little help in which case the only safe thing to do is stop until it gets better. But, in most cases fog lights can be very beneficial. Be sure they are aimed correctly. Too low and they just shine on the ground in front of the bumper and give no help. Too high and they are no better than the headlights.

The whole process is better and safer on the big road than on a two-lane with oncoming traffic, as no lights can help there with visibility to oncoming drivers. But they are NOT there for that, they are there to help you see better. If they are not enough help, it's always best to just stop until conditions improve.

This is for front fog lights. Rear ones are European, not used in the US. They are only to help overtaking vehicles see you better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My cheap Amazon light bar works pretty decent in the fog, compared to the headlights at least. And its not extremely noticeable, took 15 min to install and wire up. And if you don't like it or can't live with 2 small holes in your bumper, cheap replacement covers are available like you said. Just my 2 cents

1 - 11 of 11 Posts