Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I would like to ask for some advise. I am about to start a rebuild on my daughter's 2000 CR-V. I was going to build to factor specs but I got to thinking. She loves this car but hates when she is driving through hilly parts of the country. What would be the best upgrades to accomplish this. I have read so much information out there I'm not sure what would be over kill. It's so easy to get in there and go crazy. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
What do you mean "hates when she is driving through hilly parts"?
Does she think it struggles going over the hills and it needs more power?

Are you rebuilding the engine? If so, why did you decide it needed to be rebuilt?

When was the last time the engine valves were adjusted?
When was the last time it had new spark plugs and wires put in?
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
When was the last time the engine air filter was changed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The radiator had a huge leak on a trip home and she did not notice the gauge until the check engine light came on. The oil was fine before her trip but now is very runny. Had it towed to a shop and he said it would be cheaper to just swap another engine in it. I brought it home to decide what to do with it. It sounds ok if you start it at idle, but if you give it gas it starts knocking real bad. So I thought I would take it apart to see if it was worth rebuilding. All maintenance including timing belt and valves have been done within last 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.. I am also performing the same project as I recently puchased the 2000 crv.. it's a manual.
It already clocked 200'000 km but everything is fine.
Swapped the factory air filter with k&n and put carbon fiber clutch plates in.
I am going to go to a shop to do computer analysis as I am planning to insert a turbo kit but it looks like a need a headswap and might need to remove AWD...and if there is money left to spare..
All I can say is be ready to spend upwards of 5 grand. I am from Canada and trying my best to do everything by myself.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
The only engine that will easily swap in is one from a 1999, 2000, or 2001 CR-V so you're not going to get an increase in horsepower from just swapping in a "new" engine. If you're going the rebuild route the same is true, there's nothing you can easily due to increase power.

If you add a turbo it will increase power, but at the risk of decreasing reliability.

Changing the air filter to something that passes more air into the intake may add a few horsepower, but at the risk of more particulate matter (dirt and dust) getting into the engine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your mechanic was correct. You should be able to get a good used motor for around $500. You won't be able to rebuild it for $1,000.

Car-part.com

ebay

Search for a JDM engine...they are supposed to be low miles, but every now and then....my last one had a dif sparkplug in one cylinder, than the others...HMMMMM!!! I only got about 75K out of it.

You could put a slight cam in it...the problem is that the ECM is likely not gonna tolerate much of a change.

Dif. exhaust, or muffler. It used to be that changes in the exhaust gave more HP gain, per buck spent, than any others.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
The first gen is severely, almost dangerously (IMHO), underpowered--that is one of the few things I disliked about my '97. Even my '09 struggles a lot driving in the mountains (can barely keep up to the speed limit), and had I known, I would have gotten a used V6 Pilot or MDX instead of this anemic 4-cylinder. I don't know what Honda was thinking, putting a dinky 4-cylinder into a beast weighing 3200+ pounds (3400+ in the '09), when it really needed a V6. And it's not like there wasn't room for a V6 either, even if they had to make the front of the CR-V an inch or two longer. But the transmission they used never would have stood up to the extra torque anyways.

There was a way to put a cylinder head from an Integra GS-R (?) with VTEC onto the engine, but it required other modifications and then some kind of tune to make it run properly. (Today, these VTEC Integras are very hard to find, and I would guess most of the good ones have already been scavenged for parts. JDM used engines for that car now probably cost more than the CR-V is worth.) It uses a smaller version of the B-series engine (B18?). Theoretically, many of the B-series modifications should work, but again, I wouldn't add too much power to the automatic transmission since it can't handle it, and adding a turbo or supercharger will also stress the internal engine components, especially if the engine already has a lot of mileage on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts